Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2018 at 10:00 AM, willie_m said:

Got a mangrove Jack's raspberry and lime cider that is due for bottling on Saturday. Tastes pretty good just now but still need to add the essence that came with it.

The next Brew also being started on Saturday is going to be

Coopers European Lager or Canadian Blonde

500g light dry extract brought to boil in 5l water. 25G Hallertauer added to boil, then 25g Hersbrucker added 5 mins later (total 10 mins with hops)

1kg Brigalows extra malt brewing sugar that is just lying about in the house.

2 packages of W34-70 yeast because the reading i've done on here suggests using two packets for lager temps. Planning to pitch yeast at about 20 degrees and bring it down to 12 until fermentation is complete then cold crash for a week before bottling. If there is any other suggestions on what to do at this stage I'm open to them to get the best result i can

Beersmith suggests 1.048 OG, 17.5 IBUs, 9.6 EBC and 4.8% ABV and sitting in a Munich Helles style.... Doesn't mean all that much to me yet but should stand me in good stead for future brews. I want to do another 2/3 of extract then start some grains and see the difference.

Got this on a cold crash now. Went down to 1.008 so 4.8 is looking about right. Really yellow colour, lighter than the ones i've done before but was very cloudy when i started the crash. 2 days in to it and I could see a huge difference in it. Not sure whether to dry hop with another 25g of hallertauer and hersbrucker tonight then bottle on Sunday. Really want the hops to come through and not get any homebrew twang from it. 

How did the FG sample taste? If that didn't have any twang in it then it's unlikely that it'll happen in the bottle. Don't forget to add the ABV from the priming sugar, you're looking at 5.2% before priming from 1.048 OG down to 1.008 FG, so about 5.6% in the bottle. ? For some reason, Beersmith doesn't take into account priming sugar when calculating ABV, and its 4.8% prediction means it's probably figured on a higher FG than 1.008. None of this is a problem, however.

I got an OG of 1.044. I'm supposed to be drinking this at my daughters 1st birthday nice and casual. I'll end up in bed before her ?

It did taste good, never noticed any twang to it then, may take another little taster tonight to confirm though. Not really got a nose for the hops yet due to years of drinking bog standard stuff which is why i'm thinking about dry hopping so it really comes through

Looking at about 5.1% bottled then. Pretty standard for a European lager. 

If you didn't notice any twang or anything in the sample then you won't get any now, it's the sort of thing that's formed during the first few days of fermentation. Sounds like you've done a good job with this brew mate ?

20 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Looking at about 5.1% bottled then. Pretty standard for a European lager. 

If you didn't notice any twang or anything in the sample then you won't get any now, it's the sort of thing that's formed during the first few days of fermentation. Sounds like you've done a good job with this brew mate ?

Sounds promising, hopefully even my mates will like it as opposed to me just appreciating the effort ?. Got a cider aging just now too, giving it til next Wednesday (3 weeks) til cracking one but another one that's being reserved for September. 2 months in the bottle will hopefully treat it well.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Ok that makes more sense now. I think that's pretty much how they're meant to be used. 

I’m no expert but I figured the air blowing around the fridge might find its way along the hole and affect the reading of the probe and give the fridge temperature and instead of the wort temperature. 

41 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I’m no expert but I figured the air blowing around the fridge might find its way along the hole and affect the reading of the probe and give the fridge temperature and instead of the wort temperature. 

Sounds plausible. If I had one I'd be sealing it off as well. Maybe with blutak or something similar but anything that stops air getting in would work.

Just took another gravity reading 1012 for second day on me pilsner ? what to do, I feel like fining it and cold crashing it tonight, but there is so much haze at the moment.

Jesus it tastes good.

Tristan

36 minutes ago, tja1980 said:

Just took another gravity reading 1012 for second day on me pilsner ? what to do, I feel like fining it and cold crashing it tonight, but there is so much haze at the moment.

Jesus it tastes good.

Tristan

you're brewing pils , aren't you?

it it lager/pils time of the year and they all taste real good ?

Don't worry about the haze, it will clear with a combination of finings, CC and lagering

my toucan lager is on the same gravity , day 17,  am going to gelatine and cold crash it tomorrow  and bottle on Sunday.

Tonight i pitched the WLP802 starter into my Bohemian Pilsner that i brewed a few weeks ago. Pitched at 12°C, fermenting at 10°C. Will take a reading in about 4 days and see where its at. Then ill up the temp 2.5°C every 12 hours until it hits 18°C, and hold there until its finished.

OG 1.044

FG 1.010 (approx)

ABV 4.8% (bottled)

IBU 36

EBC 8

On 7/15/2018 at 5:24 AM, bennysbrew said:

I am back after a year backpacking around the world. 

I've decided to start off with a few days I had in Germany where I witnessed the cologne / Dusseldorf rivalry.

So first up, a kolsch of course.

Very simple quick recipe

1 Canadian blonde kit

1 1.5kg light Pilsen liquid malt

20g hallertau steeped

K97 yeast

16 degree ferment

See how we go. First attempt after 381 days off, so this one will be called '381 day kolsch' 

Day 12

I forgot to add I put 150 g of white sugar in it.

I've been away for a week, so was expecting it to be well and truly finished, however I've got a reading of 1.017 this morning. Does this sound to high or is that typical of k97 (never used it before)?

Ianh spreadsheet doesn't have any k97 data...

Thanks

The mid-ferment SG sample of that lager looks to have bottomed out at 1.012, so I'm expecting around that number for the FG on this brew. The sample has cleared right up and all the krausen has dropped back into the brew. The brew in the fermenter itself is going a little more slowly with the krausen still hanging around however it also warmed up a lot more slowly as well. I'll check it Sunday and Tuesday which will be 10 and 12 days respectively, and look to begin the temp ramp down on Wednesday or Thursday.

Cheers

Kelsey

21 hours ago, bennysbrew said:

Day 12

I forgot to add I put 150 g of white sugar in it.

I've been away for a week, so was expecting it to be well and truly finished, however I've got a reading of 1.017 this morning. Does this sound to high or is that typical of k97 (never used it before)?

Ianh spreadsheet doesn't have any k97 data...

Thanks

Hey Bennysbrew,

Ive never used K97 before however from what I’ve been reading it’s a slow one. 

Seems it gives a great Kolcsh flavour if fermented to bring out some ester profile. 19-20 seems to be the go to temp but then ramp up at the end to finish off.

Maybe do that, raise your temp by a few degrees and kick it in the guts.

Captain

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hey Bennysbrew,

Ive never used K97 before however from what I’ve been reading it’s a slow one. 

Seems it gives a great Kolcsh flavour if fermented to bring out some ester profile. 19-20 seems to be the go to temp but then ramp up at the end to finish off.

Maybe do that, raise your temp by a few degrees and kick it in the guts.

Captain

Thanks Captain

Yeah I put it up to 18 yesterday morning, haven't done another reading yet, I'll check it again tomorrow . 

1 minute ago, bennysbrew said:

Thanks Captain

Yeah I put it up to 18 yesterday morning, haven't done another reading yet, I'll check it again tomorrow . 

Yeah 16 is pretty cold for that yeast after a bit more reading but you’ll get low esters if that’s what your after. It’ll be a clean tasting beer that’s for sure. 

Let us know how it turns out for ya. 

Captain

This morning I've put down one more german lager - two cans, one aroma hop and czech pilsener yeast.

2 cans of coopers light malt extract

1 kg of ldme

300 grams of Munich malt, steeped

300 grams of Caramalt 20L , steeped

30 grams of northern brewer hops boiled at 60 min

20 grams of hallertau mittlefruh at 15 min

20 grams of hallertau mittlefruh steeped for 30 min

dry hop for 5 days with 30 grams of saaz

2x 10 grams czech pilsner yeast

1x 5 grams yeast nutrient

OG 1053

IBU 24

Est ABV around 5.2%

Yeast pitched at 16 C and fermentor immediately placed in the fridge set on 10 C. for 3 weeks.

this one is planned for around Xmas time,  light, clean, crisp , easy to drink lager with traditional flavour and aroma

IMG_2368.JPG

just racked my Pilsner off into me Fermentersaurus (with the preasure kit) will cold crash and carb up in the fridge for the week tomorrow, was quite careful with the transfer, primed with co2 ? the extra rest time with the yeast cleaning up helped, racking it without really any of the trub was a bonus ?

IMG-20180727-WA0000.jpeg

Then will keg it, leave for another few weeks, my APA should be finishing soon too.

Tristan

6 hours ago, ZedT said:

this one is planned for around Xmas time,  light, clean, crisp , easy to drink lager with traditional flavour and aroma

My Bohemian Pils was targeted for consumption around Christmas too but who am I kidding. That will be gone well before ha ha ha. 

BB

On 7/25/2018 at 9:18 PM, Rowbrew said:

Tonight i pitched the WLP802 starter into my Bohemian Pilsner that i brewed a few weeks ago. Pitched at 12°C, fermenting at 10°C.

So being my first proper lager i may be worrying over nothing, but having seen no activity in around 60 hours i decided to take a reading and what do you know it hasn't started fermenting yet. Should i be concerned at this point? Or is it lagging alot due to the low pitch temp?

6 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

So being my first proper lager i may be worrying over nothing, but having seen no activity in around 60 hours i decided to take a reading and what do you know it hasn't started fermenting yet. Should i be concerned at this point? Or is it lagging alot due to the low pitch temp?

I'd say it's pretty normal. I often don't see activity for a couple of days. The yeast won't have died so I'd just give it more time. If it does start taking too much longer you could try warming it up for a short while to get it going then drop it down again. Was the yeast pitched cold or allowed to warm up first?

Hi all,

Put this down yesterday:

Hop Head IPA 

4.75kg 2 Row Barley, 225g Munich malt, 30g Caramalt, 15g Caramunich

HOPS

15g each Amarillo, Citra and Chinook 45mins

15g each Amarillo, Citra and Chinook  10mins

15g Amarillo , Galaxy, Chinook, 35g Citra 2 mins

Dry hop

15g Amarillo, 50g Citra, 45g Galaxy

69IBUs, OG : 1.059

Cant wait to taste this one!