Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

On 7/13/2018 at 8:13 PM, Koo wee brew said:

A stalled English bitter ?

Roused the Yeast and upped the temperature. 

Done (Well I think so...... FG 1014?)(Stable over a couple of readings. Only got it to drop a couple of points)

Calculators  and experience suggest that it should get to 1010 or there abouts. FV samples taste like it's well attenuated. It tastes great actually. Maybe it's a function of the crystal and chocolate rye? 

Recipe-

EB

Coopers EB kit

500g LIght DME

100g Gladfields Crystal Rye

50g Gladfields Chocolate Rye

21 L 

S-04 @ 19C

F's me ?, this will be Kegged, I don't know if I'd like to bottle this. 

Cheers Dave. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pitched my German lager. I had the cube in the brew fridge since about 5.15am, took it out around half an hour ago and tipped into the FV. Oxygen, yeast then into the fridge and set up the temp control. By the time it stabilised it was sitting on 11C so pretty much at ferment temp which I'm happy with. I daresay in summer I'll have to chill the cube overnight to get it down though.

OG on this batch was 1.0513, giving a brewhouse efficiency of 77.8% in 21 litres. It will stay at 10C until 5-6 days have passed and the SG is down in the low 1.020s at which point I'll let it free rise inside the fridge to 18C. I'll be trialling a slightly different cold conditioning method on this batch, dropping the temp back to 12C after its week or so at 18, and then 2C per day down to 4C where it will sit for a week and a half or so before being kegged. Interested to see if this makes a difference to the usual crash straight to 0C I had been doing up until now.

It's sitting on 10.2C at the moment so under an hour to ferment temp, that's pretty good going. Gonna have to keep doing this cube chilling I think, I don't really like pitching way over the ferment temp.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just took a reading of me Pilsner I put in a fortnight ago, sitting at 1021, will do another check Sunday hope its not stalled, my only concern is the first dry hop addition I added have been in there 10 days, the color does look great though ?

Back to my English roots again with a fairly straight forward partial-mash Bitter:

• 1 x Coopers OS lager can
  • 1.6kg Gladfield Ale Malt
  • 200g Gladfield Dark Crystal
  • 200g Gladfield Medium Crystal
  • 200g Sugar
  • 30g Fuggles (NZ) 15mins
  • 30g Fuggles (NZ) 30min post-boil steep
  • Fermentis S-04

60 min mash @ 66ºC

| SG=1.044 | IBU=28 | EBC=19 | ABV=4.5% | 

?

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

At that SG it could well be stalled. It should have reached FG by a fortnight.

Hoping it hasn't ? I'll dry hop the APA I put down last weekend this morning on the bright side ?

I'll let it keep going and see what it does tomorrow i'm not in any rush ? its got great color nice golden but cloudy asf, had a little taste and tastes quite pleasant specially after a cold glass of water I can taste the malt and hop so I think this might be a great drop ?, cheers for your help and experience too Otto ? 

Tested the lager today, sitting around 1.033 after 5 days so should be on track to raise the temp controller up to 18 tomorrow evening. The hydrometer is sitting in the sample on the keg fridge so I'll leave it there until it stops dropping for a ballpark FG figure.

Over the last couple of days I bottled the Green Neck Lager, love the taste of this already.  I also am trying to save some of this yeast.  I also bottled the TC Brew A IPA, I'm a bit disappointed not quite what I was expecting but it's still beer.

After bottling I sorted out my beer stores, I think I must suffer from a fear of no beer, I have 152 long necks stored, I need to get drinking!

Archived