Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that Rowan, I’d pitch anything at it at this stage mate. Kit yeast, 802, baseball, anything really. 

Might have to see when you get home but that’s way too long for comfort. Can you swing back past a brew store on ya way home from work? Pick some dry yeast up from there?

Captain

Next batch, keeping with the theme of my beers from my recent round the world trip, done Colognes first, but now onto the rival town of Dusseldorf just a short train trip away where I sampled many alt beers one afternoon accompanied with an outrageously large and good pork hock.

Very funny rivalry between the two cities, they actually take it personally. For mine, clearly the alt is to my liking 

Therefore my poor man's attempt at an altbier. Couldn't find the Cooper's pilsner in my area being a sunday and in a rush to put it down took a punt on the European lager tin

1 European lager Cooper's

1 liquid malt amber 1.5kg 

30g hallertau boiled for 30 mins

K97 slurry from previous batch ( started up much quicker than dry pitched)

16 degrees, then I'll push it up after 5 days so it doesn't take forever like the Kolsch did

20l

Og1.053

Screenshot_20180730-091743.png

Yeah im freaking out now, thanks guys. I'll have to look where the closest HBS is to my work and hopefully drop in and get some yeast, if not i think ill rehydrate the kit yeast i have at home and chuck the rest of the WLP802 in also, even though its only about 100b cells or most likely less. God damn it!

1 hour ago, Rowbrew said:

Yeah im freaking out now, thanks guys. I'll have to look where the closest HBS is to my work and hopefully drop in and get some yeast, if not i think ill rehydrate the kit yeast i have at home and chuck the rest of the WLP802 in also, even though its only about 100b cells or most likely less. God damn it!

It’s only beer mate. Relax. What’s the worst that could happen. You throw it away and brew another one. Easy

Hope ya find some yeast though mate so not to waste any hard earned wort

Captain

I guess you're right Kirk. Its just upsetting because its been a long time coming with this beer, and i really don't want to have to tip it. Theres nothing i can do until i get home so ill worry about it then

Got home to no activity, took another hydro sample which was still at 1.044. Had a little taste, tasted like sweet wort. Re-roused the yeast and added the remaining WLP802. As soon as i roused up the yeast it looked like heaps of C02 bubbles came out of the beer, dunno what that means but hopefully its a good thing. Im just out for tea now, ill check it again when i get home and i might pitch that Euro lager yeast i have

Rowbrew, I'm getting stressed out just reading about your non-starter brew! I hope this pitch of harvested yeast does the trick. And like porschemad911 I hope it turns out for you despite not going to exact plan. Good test of your sanitation practises!

Sorry Jools, didn't mean to stress you out mate, everything will be just fine! ?

I just got home and decided to throw the Euro lager yeast in too, hopefully i see something happening in the morning, if not ill see if i can swing past a brew shop tomorrow or worst case ill buy another Euro lager kit and pinch the yeast from it

Rowbrew, I am sure it will be fine too. Sending u some good brewing vibes and look forward to your next post of a rocking krausen and falling specific gravity.

I pitched today, @Ben 10's Enigma and Galaxy Kölsch recipe. First time using liquid yeast as I have myself a stir plate now. WLP029.

Very much looking forward to this beer, two Kölsch in a row. Uh oh, I'm becoming Ben 10!

Smoked Porter next, I think I've seen him brew one as well. At least I didn't get this recipe from Benny!

@Fergy1987 just chuck the dry hops in anyway, they may help break up the krausen and help it drop back into the beer.

Sorry to hear about your non starting brew @Rowbrew hope the additional yeast gets it going.

I checked my lager Sunday, it was sitting at the same 1.012 that the mid fermentation sample stopped at, I'll be checking it again today and if it's the same which it should be then tomorrow I'll drop it to 12 degrees, then 2.2 degrees per day from Thursday until it gets to 3 degrees where it will remain until kegging day.

Cheers

Kelsey

Pilsner I put down 4 weeks ago is getting a lot darker, a lot more has dropped out, cold Perth nights and mornings are doing the trick it looks, APA has been cold crashing in the fridge for the last 72 hours can't wait to keg both of these on the weekend ?, will have to do some bottling too should get a couple of six packs out of what I can't fit in the keg.

Going to attempt a yeast wash on the US-05 I used for the APA as well, first time so pretty excited ?

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

@Fergy1987 just chuck the dry hops in anyway, they may help break up the krausen and help it drop back into the beer.

Yeah I think I might just have to - Ive got some tea infusers there ready to be boiled up and sanitised. Not sure if they will sink or not, but hopefully that's not a problem

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

They sink when I use them.

Yep sunk like a rock lol. Hops are in though, ran out of cascade so topped what I had left with a bit of Amarillo. Let's hope I haven't somehow contaminated the brew. 4 day dry hop before bottling on sunday 

So my lager is now carbing up in the bottle but I've noticed what looks like hope matter from my dry hop in the bottle.  2 questions really, is that going to affect my brew? Will it drop out when I do my next lagering stage? It seems surprisingly clear otherwise for being bottled on sunday.

20180731_210520.jpg

Just had a little taste of the pils, bitter, floral and high ABV, hoping the floral notes come through when its chilled down but I love the color nice golden straw and just a few specks in it, but may leave it till the weekend then into the keg to carb up.

Archived