Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

My pale ale got to FG in 5 days which never used to happen with dry yeast. I am trying to make it a bit hazy by adding dry hops at various stages throughout fermentation as well as no kettle finings and gelatin/cold crashing. 

I will keg on Monday or Tuesday when I brew my schwarzbier. Production is increasing and all kegs will be full by mid September!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Production is increasing and all kegs will be full by mid September!!!

That is the plan but somehow consumption always derails the plan. There is a love/hate relationship with consumption.

I should have said that all kegs ‘should’ be full by mid September. 

I thought I would try a bit of haze with this pale because I haven’t made a NEIPA yet and just wanted to see how it would turn out. A NEIPA may be on the cards soon. Even if the flavour isn’t the best I will still have beer I can drink!!

BB

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...The couple of brews I did without kettle finings were certainly hazy but the flavour wasn't as nice either. It wasn't deliberate though, one I forgot to add them and another I didn't realise I'd run out until it was time to add them ?

....and this from a man who buys in bulk. ? ? ?

?

Cheers (& check your inventory everybody ?),

Lusty.

My mead is finally in the fermenter. I mixed 3 and a bit kg raw honey from some hives in Oaks Estate, ACT with 6 litres of 40° C water, stirred for ages to dissolve, then diluted to around 9 litres in my 10 litre jerry can psuedo-fermenter with cold Canberra winter tap water, added some yeast nutrient, then pitched my Coopers kit ale / lager yeast slurry. I didn't take an OG reading, but I expect it to be around 1.100. I chucked it into my Cool Brewing Bag with a bunch of ice bricks to bring the early ferment temps way down. It's living in a cold 'sun'-room which will hit zero tonight, so should cool down ok. I've heard lager yeast helps to bring out the honey character just as it does with malt character, but we'll see.

I will not be de-gassing daily nor doing staggered nutrient additions as per all the mead podcasts I have listened to. Too much work! I will not be adding chemicals to halt fermentation, will just let the yeast go until they stop fermenting. I don't know the alcohol tolerance of the Coopers kit ale / lager yeast, but I doubt it will get beyond 12% ABV, so there may be some residual sugars left to add sweetness after the yeast die off.  I will not be adding clarifying agents, why on earth would you want to strip out goodness that contributes to flavour? I will not be adding fruit or spices, just want to taste the honey (and it is phenomenal honey, I have a couple of kg extra that I have been enjoying rich, intense flavour from).

The best part is that I managed to have couple of Coopers 2018 ESVA, a couple of my Centennial DIPL (sorry Coopers, you were seriously out-classed tonight) and a bit of Laguvin, Big Peat and 6 Isles scotch while making my mead. My Lagavulin is gone, but I'm not too fussed because there's plenty of my new favourite (Douglas Laing's Big Peat) left.

Cheers,

John

19 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

will keg on Monday or Tuesday when I brew my schwarzbier.

Beer Baron, you have piqued my interest and last night I was researching recipes for Schwarzbier!  I've only ever done it as an extract brew, but looks like I should be able to get even closer with my AG set up and now that I can spin up lager yeast starters

Give it a go Joolbag. I’ll post pictures and updates of my brew day and that may help you in making a choice whether to brew one or not. I am only doing a 13L batch just to see if I like it and if I do I’ll brew a bigger batch the next time. 

I need to get my lager yeast starter going ASAP. It is dated 31st of May

I only mentioned it because find haze that is normally cleared by kettle finings doesn't make the beer taste very good. If the haze is temporary like that from a lot of hops or yeast in suspension then the beer is much better even though personally I prefer it gone too. I suspect with NEIPAs that the haze is mainly due to all the hops in them, possibly the oats as well and maybe a bit of yeast still floating around, but it's not from leaving out kettle finings.

Having said that, the beers I had issues with were pilsners, in a big hoppy ale any potential flavor problems from leaving out kettle finings might be masked better.

I took a gravity reading on my mead tonight. It's come in at a respectable 1.112, so I doubt the Coopers ale / lager kit yeast blend slurry I pitched will be able to dry that right out. If it does, the mead would come to around 15% ABV. Hopefully the yeast give up the ghost at around 12% ABV to leave some residual sweetness.

@PB2 Any idea what sort of alcohol tolerance the Coopers ale / lager kit yeast blend has? It's from an International Series Coopers APA kit originally and I pitched around 250ml thick slurry into 9 litres of 1.112 OG mead, along with nutrient.

Cheers,

John

I bottled my Little Bo Pils the other night and got 44 stubbies out of it. Im so happy that it turned out ok after all the trouble i had with it taking off. Now just have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for the bottles to carb up then try and lager them for a couple of months

Nothing at the moment - Just bottled my Lightning Strike Summer Ale. 

First time bottling straight from the fermentation fridge with a length of hose. to extend the wand. What a sh1tshow lol - I wasnt organised and didnt have much time so the faster I tried to bottle the worse things got. Cut my hand trying to get the bottling wand into the tap, spilt beer into my sanitiser, beer all over the floor, a bunch of air bubbles went into the bottles when the beer was was below the tap line.....It was a 6 hand job lol..........kegging is coming ever closer lol.

I'll be kegging my brown ale tomorrow, and then in a rare occurrence the next batch will be going in the same day. I'll give the FV a soak in perc for a couple of hours then get the cube of the Victoria's Secret pale ale in there and yeast pitched. Usually I don't do this because I almost always keg or pitch on work days and my breaks are only really long enough for one or the other, so it'll be nice to have it all done in one day for a change.

4 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Well at least you’ll have a good fresh lager for summer ha ha ha

Yes that is true. I think next year ill make it earlier so it can properly lager in the bottles in my shed over winter time. Lets hope this one turns out ok. I tell you what though it was clear as a bell when i bottled it, so the cold crash and gelatine did the trick i reckon. You watch it will get chill haze now ive said that! Haha!

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

Yes that is true. I think next year ill make it earlier so it can properly lager in the bottles in my shed over winter time. Lets hope this one turns out ok. I tell you what though it was clear as a bell when i bottled it, so the cold crash and gelatine did the trick i reckon. You watch it will get chill haze now ive said that! Haha!

Cheers

Ha ha ha ha let’s hope not

Just kegged my brown ale, and noticed the reduced level of trub in the fermenter, which I would think is the result of transferring from the cube using a tap. I got very little cube trub in the fermenter and it shows with the trub being well under the tap level compared to batches where I've picked up the cube to tip in, and got a lot more cube trub in as a result. Those ones usually had the trub right up at the bottom of the tap outlet. I reckon I'll keep this up, even if I just replace the bung with a tap then leave to settle for half an hour or so at transfer time.

IMG_20180901_092113.thumb.jpg.88e371af0c5023e721b816b62968417b.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

The Victoria's secret pale ale is in the fermenter now. Pitched yeast about 20-21 degrees. The wort smelt bloody fantastic going in so hopefully the beer is just as nice. I ended up with 25.5 litres in the fermenter, largely avoiding the cube trub and hops that were in there too. OG is 1.0513, giving me overall efficiency of 77.9%. Fermenting with 1056 American Ale yeast at 18 degrees. Will dry hop with about 50g Vic Secret after fermentation.

That's the first time I've had overall efficiency over 75% in a pale ale for a while (mash efficiency was almost 90%), and I'm putting it down to the Gladfield malt used; I only had 1.3kg of Maris Otter left so made up the 4.5kg total ale malt with 3.2kg of the Gladfield. This was the only difference from all the others. 

Obviously the next batch will be all Gladfield for the base ale malt so it will be interesting to see if the efficiency goes up a little more that time.

Cheers

Kelsey

Baltic Porter i brewed on Saturday. Slightly different to the one i did a month or so ago. Had to swicth the grains around as lhbs had run out of vienna. So this one contains:

5kg Munich (3 last time)

1.4kg Vienna (4 last time)

0.5kg Victory (none last time)

Other grains and hops used same as the previous brew.

I put my Kettle Soured Berliner Weisse in the FV yesterday and pitched 1 pack of rehydrated US-05. I forgot to put the cube in the fermenting fridge to bring it up to temp, so i ended up pitching at 15°C. Its at 18°C now and there are signs that fermentation is underway. I plan to add 1kg of frozen cherries on day 7 or so.

Cheers!

13 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

I put my Kettle Soured Berliner Weisse in the FV yesterday and pitched 1 pack of rehydrated US-05. I forgot to put the cube in the fermenting fridge to bring it up to temp, so i ended up pitching at 15°C. Its at 18°C now and there are signs that fermentation is underway. I plan to add 1kg of frozen cherries on day 7 or so.

Cheers!

That sounds amazing 

Archived