Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put these 2 brews down yesterday, fermenting away nicely now:

Citra Mosaic Pale Ale

Brewed 24/9/18
41 IBUs
OG: 1.060 (efficiency was a bit higher than the last few times was expecting 1.055)

4.75kg Traditional Ale malt
225g Munich T1
300g Caramalt 10L
150g Caramunich 60L
200g white sugar

HOPS
15g Magnum 60min
30g Citra 10min
30g Citra 2min
25 Mosaic 2min

30g Citra dry hop
25g Mosaic dry hop

Measured 1.060 for 22.5L but topped up to 23L, so not sure on OG?

Amarillo Galaxy IPA

Brewed 24/9/18
62 IBUs 
OG: 1.062 at 21.5L topped up to 23L

5.5kg Pale Ale malt
250g White wheat malt
230g Carapils
350g Caramalt
150g Carared/Cararye

HOPS
15g Amarillo and Chinook 60min
15g Amarillo, Chinook, Galaxy 10min
15g Amarillo, Chinook, Galaxy 5min
30g Galaxy dry hop
15g Amarillo dry hop

Love brew days!!!!!

Cheers

James

An experimental Best Bitter.  A simple partial mash designed to showcase Gladfield's Aurora malt substituting in place of the usual crystal malts etc.  Also, first time use of Mangrove Jacks M36 yeast.  

• 3kg LME
  • 1kg Aurora Malt
  • 50g Fuggles (30 mins)
  • 50g Fuggles (FO)
  • M36 Liberty Bell Yeast

Time will tell!  

4 Days in & the Fruit Salad Ale ferment has slowed. SG reading is currently around 1.017 so still a little ways to go. Another 4-5 points is what I'd expect.

Aromas are good with the banana ester being present but not overpowering. It does smell just like fruit salad. ?

The brew is currently sitting @ 22°C, so hopefully it's just winding down & the ferment finishes off without a hitch this time.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm gonna guess that's a "session" IPA? That OG is lower than my standard pale ales ??

Wouldn't of thought there would be anything wrong with a session IPA, if it tastes good and you can drink more of it ?

Tristan

4 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

It’s a funny term “session IPA”, 

Hoppy pale? 

Not having a crack, just good marketing I guess. 

Well its not exactly using Pale base malts, mine I used Pilsen, so Hoppy Pilsen ? all good anyways Capt, this is a forum so bants away.

Were all here to make good beer, learn, and share our experiences if it tastes good and you like what you've done then that's all that matters. ?

Tristan

4 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

It’s a funny term “session IPA”, 

Hoppy pale? 

Not having a crack, just good marketing I guess. 

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just an OG of 1.045 isn't exactly in IPA territory ?

An IPA is about the beer having a notable bitter aftertaste that lingers. The OG & FG have nothing to do with whether it's an IPA or not (IMHO). They don't have to be super hopped (British IPA's aren't) or heavily malted to attain a high ABV either.

I've sampled quite a few commercial versions & even brewed a few lower ABV versions & there is no doubt as to what the beer is once tasted.

The "session IPA" is at least getting some of the megaswill drinkers to try the style knowing they wont fall over & pass out before they even get to a half dozen, so that is a good thing in the long run I reckon.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Well considering the reason why IPA was first brewed it would seem to me that the OG/FG/ABV is an integral part of the style. I would expect most people would see IPA and think stronger ale. You can brew an APA that has a lingering bitterness but that alone doesn't suddenly turn it into an IPA. I don't mind the term session IPA because it at least indicates the lower ABV; I've had a couple of different ones and they did taste pretty much the same as full strength IPAs and I would drink them again.

I believe that marketing the lower abv style “IPA” as session IPA is honestly just marketing, because at the time it came out, the only thing Americans were drinking were IPA’s. And if that helps the megaswillers get into craft then that’s good, however, could they have not called it something else that doesn’t have IPA in it. 

If you were to lower the abv in a hoppy, bitter beer from a IPA, I would think that the quintessential US Pale ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale would be touching on the Session IPA bandwagon would it not? 

Completely agree that the US version and UK version IPA are different beers, there is no doubt there. 

Captain

1 hour ago, tja1980 said:

Isnt the IBU what sets apart IPA and Pales ? Always thought IPAs were highly bitter, heavy aroma and flavored.

Never the less I do love me some pale ? put A, I or and X in front still great beer ?

Tristan

Kind of. IPA is essentially just a stronger pale ale: higher alcohol and hopped more. Brewing what amounts to a standard pale ale with a little more bitterness and hop flavor/aroma doesn't really make it an IPA. But whatever the case, they still taste bloody good!

26 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Kind of. IPA is essentially just a stronger pale ale: higher alcohol and hopped more.

Err...No.

Many Pale Ales are hopped to very high levels & have ABV's in the high 6% range that equal anything in the IPA world. It is the noticeable level of bitterness in each that creates the difference between the two.

Cheers,

Lusty.

High bitterness doesn't make an IPA by itself. I don't care what the marketing boffins say, a 3.5% beer is not an IPA regardless of how bitter it is. It's the combination of higher hopping (bitterness) and higher ABV that makes an IPA different from a standard pale ale. Don't they call those higher ABV pale ales XPAs?

The ABV means dribble to me. For example Dale's Pale Ale that I've recently been speaking about here on the forum is a 6.5% ABV beer & 65 IBU's & it ain't the least bit bitter, hence why it's a Pale Ale NOT an IPA. I've had IPA's at the same mark & they have a bitterness to them that is undeniable.

At a higher ABV, if it doesn't have the bitterness, it's just an overgrown Pale Ale to me. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

An IPA is about the beer having a notable bitter aftertaste that lingers. The OG & FG have nothing to do with whether it's an IPA or not (IMHO). They don't have to be super hopped (British IPA's aren't) or heavily malted to attain a high ABV either.

IPA has evolved a lot. Mitch Steele's IPA book is a great read. From the historic recipes in that book some of the early British IPAs were all pale malt, very strong and extremely heavily hopped. Most modern IPAs (particularly British, session and New England), bear little resemblance to these. Closest would be the American West Coast DIPA, barrel aged with Brett. 

Lusty I reckon you would enjoy brewing something in the mold of an 1800s British IPA. As a starting point try 100% pale malt to an 1.075 og, bittering addition of something British to 75 IBU (although hops were commonly imported from America), and a big flameout addition (think 10g/l). Follow up with a big dry hop addition (also think 10g/l), then barrel age or add Brett if you like (but it will still taste great without these treatments). Ferment with an attenuate British yeast strain regardless. 

It will be very interesting to sample over the course of a year or so as it ages, and will give great insight into what an IPA is. Unfortunately you won't find any commercial examples, so you have to brew it yourself. 

Cheers, 

John

Archived