Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dirtman Dan said:

I usually try to time my bottling days for my wife's day off so she has no escape, I put her to work on the bottle filling while I cap em. All apart of my evil plan to get a keg setup for Christmas ?

Jeez.. Where did you find her Dan? Need to know in case my missus divorces me cause of my brewing addiction.. ?

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

All the parts are good parts. Well except bottling. My missus is the same though, happy to drink it but has no interest in the making of it

?

I wish I could get even that level of interest haha. I think I must make the most underwhelming beers because the feedback I get from my missus when I make her try them is always "....Tastes like beer"........which I mean, I guess I can take the positive out of it that it doesn't taste like something else lol.

? I used to get the old chestnut "They all taste the same to me", but after a while it became apparent that they don't, because she likes certain styles (hoppy pales) and doesn't like others like browns, porters and stouts, although interestingly did enjoy a White Rabbit dark ale at the pub a while ago. At least there's no arguments about beer, obviously I like hoppy pales too lol.

Speaking of hoppy pales, I have dosed the current one in the FV with isinglass today to get rid of as much yeast as possible. Tomorrow or tomorrow night it will get the Polyclar treatment with a view of kegging it either Sunday or Monday.

Sounds much the same at my place. My partner likes my beer. Not really too interested in the process or being involved although she does humour me and listens to me dribble about what I need to do and what grain/hop/yeast.

She surprised me by napisan-ing all the bottles in the kitchen the other day. I was stoked!

Oooh. Been offline for a while - connected to NBN ? Killing me.

Got 2 fermenters going ATM:

• Red ale based on @ChristinaS1 partial mash bastard of Kelsey's one - Changed grain bill to 300gm Vienna | 200g CaraAroma | 40gm Midnight Wheat and use S-04 yeast as I had it on hand and figured it suited the style. Will bottle sometime late this week.
  • 2nd attempt at a simple BoPils - The last one was great - so trying my best to replicate while the ambient temp in my garage is still compliant.
Ambient lager temps are coming to a close and I have a few still on my wish list. Need to find a working fridge for ferment for summer (my current one only functions as a hot box).

18 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

My Kettle Sour has been on the cherries for 3 days so i took a small sample. It has a slight cider taste to it, not much if any cherry flavour, and it seems that the slight sourness has gone! At least the colour is nice

What did/have you done with the cherries? Have you left them whole or have you crushed them slightly before adding the beer to them?

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

What did/have you done with the cherries? Have you left them whole or have you crushed them slightly before adding the beer to them?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I just thawed them and added them to the beer. They are in a bag though so maybe i should pull them out and smoosh em up a bit?

Archived