Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That amount of cascade will contribute about 9ibus, if it is 7 Alpha Acids, depending on boil size, if you did a 5l boil it would be less than that, making it almost negligible to the overall beer. They say it is hard to tell a difference between 3 to 5 ibus, someone chime on if I got those figures wrong.

That beer looks NICE! I love Amarillo and cascade! Great word Guvna.

2 minutes ago, Norris! said:

That amount of cascade will contribute about 9ibus, if it is 7 Alpha Acids, depending on boil size, if you did a 5l boil it would be less than that, making it almost negligible to the overall beer. They say it is hard to tell a difference between 3 to 5 ibus, someone chime on if I got those figures wrong.

That beer looks NICE! I love Amarillo and cascade! Great word Guvna.

boil was only a baby , 2-3 litres approx.  does more water increase or decrease bitterness?

If you do a full boil, the size of the batch so say 25l, you extract more bitterness with less hops but with a smaller boil you have to add more hops to get the same bitterness as a full boil. So basically your 3l boil and the extra 10g of cascade didn't really add a lot of extra bitterness because it was only 3l.

Water does extract bitterness better than a mix with malt at 1.040 gravity, but it can be harsher.

I hope I answered what you meant.

Norris

Yesterdays brew, Redback Ale:

3000g Gladfield American ale malt
700g Redback malt
520g Flaked oats
500g Golden promise
500g Pale wheat
200g Light crystal
5g Topaz @ 60min
30g Cascade @ 10min
30g Mosaic @ 10min
25g Cascade @ FO
25g Mosaic @ FO
30g Cascade @ Dry 
20g Moaic @ Dry
US05

26litres
OG 1.042

Cheers,
Hoppy

Happy long weekend for all those lucky enough to get one!

Day 11 for my current brews...

The debated ? Sessionable Hop Slam IPA I've got on has been chilling out at 4°C for a couple days and will bottle on Monday after reaching a final gravity of 1.009 Smells awesome!

Meanwhile the Toucan Stout is still chugging away dropping a couple points each day. Dropped one point in the last 24hrs, I'm hoping she's done now at 1.009 so I can let it clean up for a couple days and bottle on Monday. 

My cold has passed now and can finally smell and taste again.. I'm really loving the stout hydrometer samples ?

Cheers, Lee

Took out the hop bag this morning on me *cough* session summer haze ipa, took a little sample its at 1.012, I'll let the yeast cleanup and hopefully keg it thursday.

Looking at knocking out a session ale clone tomorrow, but will most likely be with odds and sods of left over hops.

Tristan

My current brew (Fruit Salad Ale) has finished primary ferment so I have taken the temp controller off & placed the fridge into cold crashing mode. I have a busy weekend this coming weekend so won't have time to deal with it then so will likely keg it on Thursday.

I don't have a spare keg atm, but the last of my Mosaic Amber Ale keg would be lucky to have a pint or two left in it which will be consumed before Thursday no problems. ?

I'm looking forward to having the Fruit Salad Ale on the pour over the weekend. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

The Kilowog Krush has been sitting at 1.010 since Saturday, so tomorrow at this time it will drop to 3c until Friday, when I can keg it, 14 1/2 days, which used to be my standard, but sometimes I rush em.

I just did a dry hop of 27g Nelson sauvin( it was suppose to be 35g but I remember going over on the 15min and flameout additions by a few grams, which left me short) 92g of galaxy and 85g of citra. The last 2 were also changed from 75g because I could not be bothered with keeping the leftovers...and I was annoyed about the NS so I said f! it.

This ale wasnt highlighting the NS but was there to compliment the other two, but I was just at the LHBS and should of just got 25g of NS....which I probably would of dumped it all in anyways, you know since I upped the other two...rabbit hole.

Samples tasted good, cannot wait to try this.  When I got home on Friday, I opened the fermentation fridge to a beautiful aroma, so I have just let this sit and clean up a little. The dry hop went in commando. I figure that the cold crash will drop most stuff out along with some cow hooves or whatever gelatin is made from...might start using seaweed or fish bladders instead, my wife is kind of a vegetarian, unless my meal looks better. On second thought, she drinks jello shots like they are mana from the Gods so....I guess gelatin is fine in my brewery.

Good brewing

Norris

My temp fridge is fully loaded, I got a choc vanilla porter going with us05 and an ale I named 'Seshazeuan', a hazy session type ale I've done a few times and its hit. Trying different hop combos with the base recipe and this time threw in 50g each Azacca, Topaz and Amarillo for something different. Used sloppy slurry leftovers from the Neipa I did with Gigayeast Vermont strain, fridge is smelling heavenly. I used  to relax on the weekends.. now i just make beer, no regrets though ?

Coopers Stout just finishing primary fermentation. Went Dry Dark Malt & some Dext, went short (20l) at 20c and have it at 1016 presently. ABV = 5.5. My guess that is almost FG. Looking to create a brew akin to a Coopers Best Extra Stout. Hope to bottle before the weekend, then wait.

Just got back from a few nights in Tassie and checked the SG on both my Coopers Vintage Ale 18 and Goodnight America.

Goodnight America is already down to 1012 so should only need a few days more despite only brewing it on the 29th Sept (4 days ferment).
However, the Vintage Ale is only down to 1024 on day 10 (from 1062). Recipe says to allow 10-14 days to reach approx 1008-1013.

Preempting some questions:

• Used a Gen02 CCA washed yeast from August so was a little old but pitched double what I would usually for washed ale yeast.
  • Ferment has been a constant 18C for the past 10 days
  • Plenty of bubble action on the airlock - samples are well carbonated so could explain that.

I will measure SG again over the next few days, but has anyone had experience with this recipe potentially taking longer than anticipated?
Should I assume the brew has stalled and add some can yeast? I have the bootmaker and a couple of real ale packets in the fridge.
I was expecting it to at least be below the 1020's at this stage.

Hi @elLachlano,

I just used 2nd Gen. CCA yeast on a toucan stout, with an O.G of 1.058. It took 12 days to reach F.G. It just chugged along, I ended up raising my temp up more than I'd anticipated just to help it along. Also, I overpitched 100mls more than I planned accidentally, and still a very slow ferment..

Cheers, Lee

Double brew night last night

46 litres split into 2 F.V's

Both identical wort but doing a side by side of the w-34/70 at different temps

one F.V at 18°C and the other at 10°C

Recipe for each was

Coopers O.S Draught 1.7kg

LDM 1.5kg

Made to 23 litres

250 mls w-34/70 slurry pitched at desired temp of each wort

O.G 1.048

Dry hop to follow 30g Cascade 

I've already done this experiment once but it wasn't side by side, I couldn't taste much difference in the brews. 

Krausen of 1cm on the 18°C already after 20 hours and maybe just a slight skim of bubbles on the 10°C.

Cheers, Lee

34 minutes ago, #granted+brew said:

Hi @elLachlano,

I just used 2nd Gen. CCA yeast on a toucan stout, with an O.G of 1.058. It took 12 days to reach F.G. It just chugged along, I ended up raising my temp up more than I'd anticipated just to help it along. Also, I overpitched 100mls more than I planned accidentally, and still a very slow ferment..

Cheers, Lee

I think I will leave it and see. I might ramp the 18 up to 20 even give it a stir and see what it does over the next few. TBH - I don't have enough bottles free for it yet.

Thanks Lee!

I'd bump up the temp to about 22 and see what happens. 

I checked my pilsner SG tonight, it's around 1.013-14, and judging by the look of the brew in the fermenter over the last few days it's been there for at least that long. I'll drop the temp to 12 tomorrow, then 2.2/2.3 degrees per day until it reaches 3, where it will sit for about 9-10 days and then be kegged. There should be room in the keg fridge to store it so it can stay cold until it's time to tap it. Sample smelt and tasted good, I'm expecting a decent drop from this one.

Cheers

Kelsey

3 hours ago, elLachlano said:

I will measure SG again over the next few days, but has anyone had experience with this recipe potentially taking longer than anticipated?
Should I assume the brew has stalled and add some can yeast? I have the bootmaker and a couple of real ale packets in the fridge.
I was expecting it to at least be below the 1020's at this stage.

Hi @elLachlano,

My 2018 Coopers Vintage went like this:

OG 1.063      Day 3: 1.034      Day 6: 1.028      Day 8: 1.024 (Also dry hopped the Aramis that day)    Day 10: 1.020  Upped the temp to 22°C for 18°C over a day or two      Day 14: 1.012      Day 17: 1.010       Day 18: 1.010  and fished out dry hops and started cold crash, down to 1°C over 2-3 days.

Given my experience I agree with OVB.  Up the temp to 22 and see how it goes.  I might have still got to 1.010 but it would have taken longer and I thought the longer I leave it the less likely for extra fermentation to kick in.

Cheers Shamus

I took a sample of my Coopers Draught last night, its sitting at 1.012 and starting to drop clear. For a kit beer it tastes pretty good too. I think its because of how fresh the kit was. Its going to be a very easy drinker for summer i reckon. Im not sure if i should cold crash this one or not. Generally kit beers clear up pretty good in the bottle for me so i might leave it, dunno

Archived