Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

On 7/14/2018 at 8:59 PM, ZedT said:

I have a couple of lemon trees in my yard and they are chock a block full of lemons,  so decided to brew a fermenter or 2 of hard lemonade using pretty basic recipe,  this time for my Coopers baby fermenter,

30 lemons zested and juiced,

10 whole lemons cut up to small pieces for bitterness, 

100 grams of chopped up raisins,

1.5 kg of dextrose,

10 grams of ec 1118 champagne yeast with 5 grams of yeast nutrient.

boiled all ingredients in 4 litres of water for around 1 hour, cooled down up to 9 litres and pitched at 22C with rehydrated yeast.

OG is 1048, with expected ABV of 6 %

If there is healthy yeast activity tomorrow morning I'm planing to do another 25 litres of the same.

Will be using stevia for sweetness at bottling  time,  at 12 little aldi brand tablets per litre, together with normal priming sugar amounts.

I'm interested in the raisins. I tested an 8.5% beer from Bright Brewery and the raisins taste was that good it put me to bed.

I have a great English IPA recipe of 6% ABV which I am drinking now at 8 months, 6% ABV, and I  think raisins are the missing taste.

Can someone please advise me how to add raisins, e.g., smashed and "dry raisined", or do they need to go in earlier?

Cheers

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Worthog. 🙂

1 hour ago, Worthog said:

I'm interested in the raisins. I tested an 8.5% beer from Bright Brewery and the raisins taste was that good it put me to bed.

I have a great English IPA recipe of 6% ABV which I am drinking now at 8 months, 6% ABV, and I  think raisins are the missing taste.

Can someone please advise me how to add raisins, e.g., smashed and "dry raisined", or do they need to go in earlier?

In this instance the trait you desire can & likely was (in the beer you sampled) produced by a mixture of certain grains & hops, maybe not raisins as you suspect. Even if real raisins were used their flavours can be mimicked. 

On the grain front look at adding grains like Dingemans Special B &/or CaraAroma into your grist. On the hop front, in my order of preference, try Bramling Cross, Pacific Gem, &/or Bullion.

I haven't used dried fruits in a brew before but can only imagine breaking them down to extract their flavour would be cumbersome & time consuming, & would involve quite a weight of them to impact the brew despite their concentrated sugar form. There are pectin related aspects from that too that can occasionally require some additional attention.

I reckon the Bramling Cross with some Special B would do the trick nicely. The Coopers DIY recipe bank had a Bramling Cross beer recipe at one point, but I couldn't find it when looking for the reference for this post. 

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

Archived