Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

12 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

I took a sample of my Coopers Draught last night, its sitting at 1.012 and starting to drop clear. For a kit beer it tastes pretty good too. I think its because of how fresh the kit was. Its going to be a very easy drinker for summer i reckon. Im not sure if i should cold crash this one or not. Generally kit beers clear up pretty good in the bottle for me so i might leave it, dunno

Yeah I'd just leave it. Never made a kit brew that didn't drop very bright without any cold crash.

Cheers, 

John

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason I cold crash is because I keg & force carb my beer. One, I don't really want a lot of muck flying around in there, but the main reason is because C02 absorbs much better in cold liquid. It is less about clarity for me.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 10/3/2018 at 10:37 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Given my experience I agree with OVB.  Up the temp to 22 and see how it goes.  I might have still got to 1.010 but it would have taken longer and I thought the longer I leave it the less likely for extra fermentation to kick in.

Nice. Thanks @Shamus O'Sean!

It's gone up to 20C but I haven't had a sample taken since I last posted. Will check in tonight as I ramp further up to 22C.

The krausen on my American Pale Ale had dropped on Thursday night, and it was down to 1.014 SG. So last night I added the 60g Dr Rudi dry hop and looks like I'll be bottling it up Wednesday night. It certainly smells a little different to other hops I've used before, so I'm curious to see how the end beer turns out.

Cheers,

John

Tasting the summer haze ipa, it breaks you in with a little sweetness from the pilsner malt, then the bitter strips, and slaps your face with a nice fruity floral tang. see how it carbs up over the week ;D, its not an ipa after tasting it, its a more hoppier version of my normal pale ale, never the less I quite like it.

Tristan

Just checked on my Lagers 6 days post pitch.

The 18°C vessel has a S.G of 1.013 its been at 20°C since active fermentation and is holding at that temp.

Meanwhile the 10°C ferment has gotten down there too at 1.014. Much lower than i was expecting. Just unplugged the fridge and I'm raising the temp for a D rest. I'll get it up to 20°C over a day or two with the other FV and look at dry hopping both with 30g Cascade on Saturday. 

Cheers, Lee

My pilsner has reached lagering temp as of yesterday morning. 3 degrees. I will be doing some isinglass treatment soon, followed by Polyclar the next day. Looking to keg it Saturday week, so I'll probably do these treatments later this week/this weekend. The FG sample smelt and tasted really nice so I'm looking forward to it being on tap again.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:29 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi SG,

I have not done the Steam Beer before. It looks interesting though.  I have a Real Ale can in my stocks, so I will be interested in how yours turns out. Keep us posted.

Cheers Shamus

Hey Shamus,

This one actually turned out pretty good. Not the best at describing flavours but it's obviously not as hoppy as some of the other brews I've done. Worth a crack if you fancy something a bit different.

Cheers 

Steve

So my lager has started fermenting, I have a krausen, it has been sitting at 10c with a 19c pitch. Fridge smells like beer and not sulphur, so that is ok. I will dry hop with 40g of falconers flight once FG has been met.

Good brewing

Norris

Checked on my experimental Lagers tonight, both have been sitting up at 20°C for their D rest for 3 or 4 days .

Both batches look as though they have both finished off at 1.012 

Found another 20g of Cascade in the freezer so ended up dry hopping each with 40g in a zip tied chux cloth.

I'll let the temp free fall back down to 18°C now for the last 3 days until I remove the dry hop. Then I'll check for a final gravity before cold crashing for a week. 

Tasted the samples and I'll have to say the 18°C ferment tastes better than the 10°C at this point.

Cheers, Lee

Pacific Gem Best Bitter

Haven't used Pacific Gem hops before so I thought I'd solo a decent amount in this best bitter malt base, a grain bill I've used a few times now:

• 1.7kg LME
  • 2.0kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 200g GF Medium Crystal
  • 100g GF Dark Crystal
  • 40g Roasted Barley
  • Pacific Gem 50g @ 30min
  • Pacific Gem 25g @ 5min

I routinely do 30 minute boils with my partial mash beers these days.   It means my primary bittering hops pretty much double as an early flavouring addition.  Pitched in some M36 slurry last night and this morning it's well under way.  ?

Today marks a first for me, which will continue for the next couple of weeks or so - having two fermenters going at once. Will be a regular thing next year when I get another fridge but for now I'm just doing the one batch to take advantage of likely the last period of suitable ambient temperature for the year so I don't tie up the fridge with a batch that won't be on tap for a number of months. 

The brew in the second fermenter is that big stout I brewed recently. Got the intended 21 litres in, and the OG is 1.0855. It's being fermented with 1056, and should hold a temp around 20-22 hopefully. Should be kegged in a couple of weeks, where it will age until next winter. Got the airlock setup on this fermenter, it's sitting on the floor in a spare room on a towel just in case it decides to escape. It smelt awesome going into the fermenter so hopefully it turns out well. It's a while to wait for disappointment if it doesn't ?

Cheers

Kelsey

Well my stout brew is up and running. Nice inch or so thick layer of foam on it with the tell tale condensation under the lid. Obviously the seals are airtight on this one because the airlock is bubbling as well ? Now just to see how long it takes to end up all over the outside of the fermenter...

Archived