Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottling night for my experimental lagers. Both 23 litre, 10°C & 18°C ferments with saflager w-34/70. 

21 days in they both finished at 1.012 and going by my last taste 7 days ago the higher end temp. still tastes better to me.

Half of each going in P.E.T other half in glass Coopers 750ml. 

Last brew's for a few weeks as I'm off on a fishing trip over to the far west coast of S.A.  If I'm lucky enough I'll post a photo of these brews side by side "green as..." next to the golden flanks of a 80lbs Mulloway "Jewie" on one of the remotest stretches of beach in the state. ?

Cheers, Lee

Just pitched another batch of my red ale. This is the last batch with the current culture of 1469 yeast as I'm replacing it with a new one for the next batch and beyond. As such, I decided against using oak chips this time just in case the yeast throws a shitty flavour which would probably drown out any influence they may have. 

Oxygen was injected for about 90 seconds, and pitched a bit warmer than I would like at around 25-26 degrees, but I forgot to put the cube in the fridge this morning. Gotta remember that now that the weather is warming up again, and with lagers the night before.  Got the full 25 litres at an OG of 1.0443 (about a point higher than predicted), making the Brewhouse efficiency 76.5%. This Gladfield ale malt is going well so far. 

Starting the fermentation at 18 degrees and will allow it to rise to 21 after 3-4 days. It should reach FG after 5-6 days so I'll begin the cold crash after 9-10 days and keg a week later. Will be good having this on tap again. 

Cheers

Kelsey

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm not that worried about it, it's a nice beer without it but I just don't want any potential off flavors from the yeast being through so many generations to ruin anything the oak might bring. I'll use them on the next brewing of this batch though.

Fair enough. I’ll look forward to when you do oak a batch then

The red ale is up and running, checked it before I left for work and it had about a 15mm krausen on it. That was about 20 hours after pitching so it was probably showing signs of life at about 16-18 hours. 

We're away this weekend so I won't even be here to raise the temp after 3 days. I'll either leave it at 18 until Sunday which is only 4 days or get Dad to bump up the temp on Saturday. Probably just leave it though. 

My Enterprising Lager has bottomed out @ 1.012-13 & been stable for about 3 days now. Quite a fast ferment for a lager. Threw the 60gm Nelson Sauvin dry hop in a short while ago.

Very impressed with the MJ's M76 Bavarian Lager yeast. Began quickly, fermented quickly, & has dropped out well. The beer is clearing very well all on it's own & I haven't even put the beer into cold conditioning mode yet.

The hydro sample tasted very smooth with nice citrus characters, & very malty despite no crystal malts in this brew. It's a big shift from the cleaner more hop friendly Ale strains I usually use, to brewing a hoppy beer using a very malt friendly lager yeast. It's a learning curve I'm really enjoying with my brewing atm. ?

I'll remove the dry hops in 3-4 days time, then look to cold condition the beer for a good week before looking to keg it. I'm not willing to call it a win or not until I have it on the pour & sampling from the glass.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I have a lager going with M76 yeast also, it looks clear as a bell and I haven't fined it or anything yet. Little sulphur smell but that dissipated away after a day, was minimal. I am going to dry hop mine in a day or so and cold crash and then fine. Nice to hear it is going well Lusty

Norris

Hiya Kelsey.

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

How long was the fermentation?

Given my gravity readings I reckon it was done after 7 days, & I've left it a further 2-3 days to make sure of FG. My ferment temp was higher than what you usually do with your Pilsners which accelerates fermentation, & I increased the ferment temp to diacetyl rest after 4 days, so again accelerated the ferment further & very different to your usual regime. BTW, I'm not advocating one way or the other. I followed the commercial lager brewery regime (or something very close to it) & the "Fast Lager" a lot of Brulosophy followers often quote.

I did notice there was no obvious sulphur/egg smell with this fermentation. I have a vague notion this may have pushed a more malty presence into the beer than if I had fermented it lower & for longer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm calling ambient Lager season over in my shed. Back to ales for days - until it gets reeeal hot (or I get a working ferment fridge).

melting ice pop GIF by Alexis Tapia

Put a Kilted IPA down last night with some harvested Nottingham. Last time I did one, it was my fifth attempt and tasted the goods. Current is my 20th.

I've learned a lot since brew #5 but didn't find any of that extra knowledge helped through the process of this one. There's a lot to say for a truely simple recipe that just works. However, the notes from last time did force some patience on the process.

? I'm hoping this one lives up to the memories.

Evil Twin beer is ready to be kegged this weekend.

Then the fermenter will be out of action for a couple of months as I am heading overseas in two weeks. Will need to start brewing on my return to get stocks up again.

My Northern Brewers Pilsner 11 days in is at 1.017, removed temperature control and will let it free rise to ambient until Sunday. I also dry hopped this with 25g of Citra.  On Sunday i will cold crash this to 2 deg before kegging the following weekend.

The porter batch I did on the same day just doesn't taste right to me. I put it on gas last night and had a flat sample and it tastes off.  This one was no chill cubed which I have never done before. I will see what its like when it has some carbonation.

12 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

You watch your language around here Lusty, you’re going the right way about a smack bottom ?

It wouldn't be the first time. ?

The big commercial breweries have been fermenting lagers like this for decades now, so the method outlined on the err.. aforementioned website, is certainly nothing new. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Evil Twin beer is ready to be kegged this weekend.

Then the fermenter will be out of action for a couple of months as I am heading overseas in two weeks. Will need to start brewing on my return to get stocks up again.

You Beeeeeeauuuuuuty, no Magnum jibes for a few months! ?

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

You Beeeeeeauuuuuuty, no Magnum jibes for a few months! ?

I am going overseas, not back in time. There is a very slight chance that the internet connection may be even better than in Australia.

While I don't think much of Brulosophy's experiment results in terms of them appearing to show that process changes make no difference to the beer, I have adopted two processes that I first read on there. One is the yeast harvesting from starters (which isn't his original idea either) and the other one is the "fast" lager method, and although I probably don't do it quite as fast as outlined on that website, the only real major change from my original method is when the beer is moved out of the fermenter. I used to leave them chilled for about 5 weeks before bottling them but now they just get a slow ramp down and sit for about another week or so before being kegged. Granted, it is easier to lager a keg than 65-70 stubbies.

In terms of a fermentation schedule I find it works very well, however nothing can replace or speed up long term lagering post fermentation, you can speed up the clarification process but the changes in the flavor simply need time. I'm mostly able to leave them to do that now, but when I first got kegs I had a couple of lager batches that went on tap pretty well as soon as they were kegged and they improved noticeably over the following weeks with the extra time sitting cold.

I'm also happy to keep up the Magnum jibes if Hairy is unable to ?

4 hours ago, Titan said:

The porter batch I did on the same day just doesn't taste right to me. I put it on gas last night and had a flat sample and it tastes off.  This one was no chill cubed which I have never done before. I will see what its like when it has some carbonation.

In what way? It's not likely to be caused by no-chilling it if that process was done properly.

Pretty sure the cubing process was fine. Filled the cube and squeezed to expel any air then sealed. Was only in the cube 2 days then went into the FV. Oddly the cube was misshaped when i transferred to FV. It had bulged out and there was head space between the liquid and the top of the cube. I put this down to the hot liquid and a cube not really fit for purpose (bunnings blue water cube).    Can't put my finger on the flavor, just does not taste as expected. I will try it again tonight.

They do tend to expand when hot liquid is put into them, but I've never seen one regain headspace after it's been sealed up. How long did you leave the wort to sit before transferring to the cube? I have a blue Bunnings cube as well which I've used twice now and it's been fine. The bung didn't really tighten properly but not enough to cause any issues. Even so, I found a tap in the few I bought that actually does tighten properly in it so I've stuck with that. 

I also have two 25L cubes from Anaconda which the taps fit far better into, those will be my main cubes for 25L batches now but I'll keep the Bunnings one as a backup. I used one for the first time last brew day, the bottom bulged out when I shook some boiling water around in it but was fine with hot wort.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:41 PM, #granted+brew said:

Last brew's for a few weeks as I'm off on a fishing trip over to the far west coast of S.A.  If I'm lucky enough I'll post a photo of these brews side by side "green as..." next to the golden flanks of a 80lbs Mulloway "Jewie" on one of the remotest stretches of beach in the state. ?

Cheers, Lee

Yalata ?

Archived