Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

G'Day brewers, got back on the GG, put on two ales, one Coopers Pale ale kit with, cascade,galaxy and vic secret and the other a sparkling kit with cascade an amarillo.  ?

First brew in 12 months, just got the tray bits with bottles and other excreta in life, lost interest in lots of things to tell the truth. ?

Brought a 3 tap keg king system second hand locally, main thin very few bottles. ?

Now I just need to make sure I don't get bucked off. ?

Cheers. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

Yalata ?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm not driving but I think the plan is to get on the beach at Dog Fence and get as far up as we can before entering the Aboriginal Lands where a 'No Alcohol' ban is enforced, and cos I'm a cheap skate and don't want to get the required permits to enter. Hopefully there are some big fish around that area this time.. Last trip over there was a fail in that respect. 

Cheers, Lee

Spent today doing maintenance on my gear ? was meant to rack the saspy off and add essence and sweetener today but instead spent it pulling kegs, conical fermenter (elvis), seals to give them a good dose of tlc in a oxy clean.  Stock take on hops ? and bought some new gear so I can yeast harvest ?

Next week will have the kegerator here ? finally... 

Tristan

I just removed the Nelson Sauvin dry hops from my current lager brew & must say it is smelling pretty damn good! ?

The brew is now chilling down to cold condition for a week after which I'll look to keg it.

Hopefully all the hybrid elements come together once carbed up & in the glass. Certainly very promising.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Last night I put down a Parity Amber Ale from the Coopers Recipe list

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
30g Cascade Hop Pellets (Dry hop in a few days)
11.5g Safale US-05 Dry Yeast*

Except I added 200g Light Crystal Malt grains hot steeped in 2L water (60 minutes, water started at 80° and was about 40° at end) then strained and boiled.

*I collected all the US-05 from my last brew and pitched half into the above brew.  Plus I added the brew can yeast.  Will this be too much yeast?

OG 1.0445 (It was halfway between 1.044 and 1.045 and I have decision making issues)

Cheers Shamus

A saison half fermented with 3724 dupont and then repitched and finished with the beast that is belle. All the way down to 1002. Interesting flavour this one. Has the distinct dupont 3724 taste at the start but very tarty at the end. I am keeping some of the slurry and going to try it out in another saison. Will be interested to see how the mixed yeast combo works from the start rather than the repitch mid way through.

20181028_191155.jpg

Just did the Aztec Gold Coopers recipe (with some twists)

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza
1 x 628g Coopers Light Dry Malt (it was the last of a 5kg bag)

My Twists:

1. I added 100g Light Crystal Malt grains hot steeped for 60 minutes in 2L water, then strained and boiled.
  2. I will dry hop in a few days with 40g of last years home grown American Cascade hops
  3. This recipe calls for the brew can yeast.  However I had the other half of the US-05 harvested from my last brew so I pitched that in instead.  Luckily I did have it because there was a small hole in the can yeast packet and a fair bit had already fallen out, not to mention how the yeast might have been effected by exposure to the air.

OG 1.034

Cheers Shamus

3 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I am keeping some of the slurry and going to try it out in another saison.

I have often thought about this exactly. 

3724/Belle. Will you still get that robust flavour and the tartness.......... it’ll be very interesting Greeny. 

Cant wait for the results. 

10 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I have often thought about this exactly. 

3724/Belle. Will you still get that robust flavour and the tartness.......... it’ll be very interesting Greeny. 

Cant wait for the results. 

Yeah mate. Will be in the fermenter before the end of the week. Im hoping 3724 holds its own against the belle. Me thinks belle might dominate but will see what happens and let you know.

Northern Brewers Pils has been at 1deg since Sunday and will remain at that temperature until the weekend when I will keg it up. Keg will remain in the freezer for 2 weeks after that before the beer is ready to tap up. I have a busy weekend ahead as all 4 fv’s currently in various stages of ferment will all be ready to keg this weekend.

Gonna check the SG of my red ale today but I expect it will be finished given it's been in there for 7 days and the lowish OG to start with, despite the krausen deciding to grow quite high at some point after the temp was raised. After that I'll drop in the 30g Cascade dry hop, just commando this time. Will check it again Friday and likely drop the temp at that point in preparation for kegging next Saturday.

I took a reading of The Hailstorm Aussie Pale last night. Its down to 1.010 from 1.041 and tastes pretty good. Plenty of bitterness present given there was no boiled hops at all in this brew. That might change once its in the glass though. Ill dry hop it tonight with 30g Galaxy for a few days and might bottle it over the weekend, if i find some time of course.

Cheers!

I will be kegging my lager attempt #1 tonight. The kilowog krush I had on, blew last night, perfect timing. 23 days in fermenter, lagering awa it should be ready. I will carb it up over the next few days, hopefully it is ready by Friday. I will set it at 30psi for 24 hours and then dial it back to 12psi for the rest of the time on tap. Probably wont be fully carbed by Friday but maybe by Sunday we will see.

Norris

I bottled up my dark mild tonight, filling 2 Tap-a-draft bottles with 5 - 5.5 litres in each and priming with 4 carb drops in each for a lowish carb level. It went from 1.036 to 1.010, so 3.4% abv. It's tasting really, really good, malty but dry and the Voyager choc malt gives a nice gentle roastiness. I think it's going to be really nice by the pint. 

Next up is a big, bitter and hoppy partial mash English IPA (no, not anything like the crappy modern ones) using my $6.30 Cerveza kit.

Cheers, 

John

12 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Next up is a big, bitter and hoppy partial mash English IPA (no, not anything like the crappy modern ones) using my $6.30 Cerveza kit.

Hi John

Let us know the recipe.  I have three more Cerveza cans to throw at something. 

An English Bitter from a Mexican can.  Sounds like some kind of joke.  What do you get if you cross a Mexican Cerveza with...?

Cheers Shamus

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi John

Let us know the recipe.  I have three more Cerveza cans to throw at something. 

An English Bitter from a Mexican can.  Sounds like some kind of joke.  What do you get if you cross a Mexican Cerveza with...?

Cheers Shamus

Haha, no joke... IPA rather than a bitter though. 

I'll mash 300g Simpson's Maris Otter and 1kg Voyager Compass in my mash tun with 16.15l strike water (90 min mash, no sparge). 

On my system this should give me 13.35l of wort in my kettle at 1.021 SG. For the hop boil I'll add 25g EKG at 60 mins, 50g EKG at 5 mins then 75g EKG at flameout (15 min steep). I'll also dissolve the Cerveza tin at flameout.

In the end I'll get about 12.5l post boil at a 1.065 OG and 95 IBU. I'll let that cool in the kettle with the lid on for a day or two, then pour through a strainer into my fermenter.

Cheers, 

John

Picked up my grain this arvo after work for a APA putting down, love the smell of cracked grains, But! I'm wondering what the hell to do with this coops APA can I have left, I could chuck in Carapils and some 60l.  Have an asortment of hops: Dr Rudi, Saaz, Summer, Galaxy, Mosaic and El Dorado, 1.5kg of LDM

Hmmmm...

Tristan

Archived