Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

IPA has evolved a lot. Mitch Steele's IPA book is a great read. From the historic recipes in that book some of the early British IPAs were all pale malt, very strong and extremely heavily hopped. Most modern IPAs (particularly British, session and New England), bear little resemblance to these. Closest would be the American West Coast DIPA, barrel aged with Brett. 

Lusty I reckon you would enjoy brewing something in the mold of an 1800s British IPA. As a starting point try 100% pale malt to an 1.075 og, bittering addition of something British to 75 IBU (although hops were commonly imported from America), and a big flameout addition (think 10g/l). Follow up with a big dry hop addition (also think 10g/l), then barrel age or add Brett if you like (but it will still taste great without these treatments). Ferment with an attenuate British yeast strain regardless. 

It will be very interesting to sample over the course of a year or so as it ages, and will give great insight into what an IPA is. Unfortunately you won't find any commercial examples, so you have to brew it yourself. 

Cheers, 

John

Brewing this beer sounds like a bloody fantastic idea

captain

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Proof that great beer can be brewed with Magnum. ??

Proof that hops with no obvious aromatic or flavour properties can still exist & contribute in the hop world.

Sort of like Nickelback in the music world. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

11 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Proof that hops with no obvious aromatic or flavour properties can still exist & contribute in the hop world.

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's what we've been trying to say for the last 4720 years. 

White paint exists too, but I don't paint everything in it! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Finally got to do some brewing on the weekend and put down a Centennial Single Hop Pale Ale.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.30 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.1 %
0.50 kg Gladfield Wheat Malt (2.1 SRM) Grain 2 9.9 %
0.25 kg Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (32.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
30.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 27.6 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 6.8 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.7 IBUs
25.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 8 4.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -
40.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 42.3 IBUs
Est Color: 5.5 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Calories: 455.8 kcal/l

36 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Magnum has 30% to 35% mycerene oil composition. I would bet you could get a nice citrus flavour and aroma from it. An all magnum beer could be tasty....I might just need to brew this.

You'll just join the long line of members of this forum that SAY they'll brew this beer, but never do for obvious reasons (to me). It may well have 30-35% myrcene levels, but that is just a compound. The compound itself needs to have a character that is forward in it in that category to be worthwhile mentioning. Magnum does not.

I love the ways you guys try to defend it. It honestly cracks me up. ?

Good onya Norris! ?

Lusty.

13 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I’ve posted this before but it could be something to go off. 

4C8584DE-2892-4B1C-BF7E-F77891D6D71C.thumb.png.69e2249bbd731fd8d602d40f148911da.png

That looks alright,thanks Cap. I think I will keep it at the same gravity but drop the Ibus or put more into the flameout to change the way the bitterness comes across, to try to match my preferred flavor profile.

Something like,

18 to 20ibus from 60min

then a nice 15 or 10 min addition to get whatever flavour is there

and then do a large flameout addition with a huge dry hop of at least 5g a liter, but I might bump it to 10g a liter.

When I get home I will game plan this beer better. I want to do a Oktoberfest or pilsner or lager now that I have temp control but all kegs will be filled in a week so I might as well do this one first and bottle(ugh!).

Cheers,

Norris

Hi all, I filled the fermenter again last night for my 4th time.  Here's whats gone in (* including my little stuff up)

1.7kg coopers Pale Ale

1kg Golden LDME

430gm dextrose 

200gm crystal malt 

10gm centennial and 10gm cascade @ 50 mins (* was supposed to be only 10gm centennial @ 60mins, accidently put the cascade in, panicked put the centennial in too and went for 50mins- )

10gm amarillo and 10gm cascade @ 5 mins 

10gm amarillo and 10gm cascade @ 0 mins

1.4 packs US-05 pitched drya at close to 20c into ferment fridge set at 19.4c   +/- .3c

Estimated OG was 1.042 , just started to get going after about 20 hours. IBU estimated at 44.6. Going to give it a good whack of amarillo and cascade for the dry hop

IBU is higher than intended, but hopefully it comes out ok.

Guvna

Due to a dodgy tap discovered when starsaning just before filling, I didnt take a gravity read as the tap is ok if not touched. twisting either threads it and/or undoes it. probally wont take any gravity reads as I can see it will let go and just wing it this time and it will be what it is.

20180925_224532.thumb.jpg.4e6f581a12b87db889a9219f1809b482.jpg

Archived