Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did my usual SG check after 3 days on the pale ale, down to about 1.022 from 1.051. It should only have about 10 points left so I'd expect it to be finished in the next day or two. Temp controller has been raised to 21, and it will just come up by itself inside the fridge.

I will keep the hydrometer in the sample until it stops dropping, to get a rough idea of what and when the FG is.

Cheers

Kelsey

Earlier today I squeezed & removed the dry hops from my current Pale Ale & turned the fridge down to start the cold crash. The Amarillo/Cascade/Centennial/Motueka dry hop mix smelled terrific! I'm really liking the mix.

I'm still weighing up when I might keg it. I could keg it as early as Thursday, but I probably should wait until at least Saturday.

Footy finals are on, good BBQ weather over the weekend, it's a tough decision! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Took a sample from the pale ale today, looks to be sitting around 1.012-13; predicted FG was 1.0126 so I'd say it's pretty much finished. I'll check it again Saturday to make sure but should be on track to start the temp drop to cold crash on Monday as planned. Forgot about the dry hop today so I'll have to do that tomorrow now ?

My American Brown has been fermenting nicely at 17C for the last few days. Ended up pitching yeast at 1am Wed, started boiling my rehydration water at 11 after bball, washing the car etc. Was waiting for a while for it to come down to the right temp, then wait some more after sprinkling the yeast. Shouldn't have bothered rehydrating! 

Oh well, looks like it will be a nice beer. Still debating whether to dry hop or not. I did put a dry hop in my original recipe, but am leaning towards just bottling it up as it is at the moment.

Cheers, 

John

I like it. It is my 1st one but once I watched a video on how to program it, I really like it. I have done one beer where I had a few settings on it, 16c for 4 days, then 1 degree rise every day for 5 days then sit at 20.5c for 2 days and then cold crashed for 3 days at 3c.

After 3 and a half days fermenting, curiosity got the better of me and I took a hydro sample of my Mosaic Amber Ale. 

T.C Amber Ale kit 1.7kg

1.5kg LDM

20g Mosaic hop tea (1litre @ below 80°C and actively cooling for 15 mins)

Made to 24 litres (meant to do it to 23litres but stuffed up)

Coopers reactivated yeast culture

Its down to 1.020 from S.G of 1.043 so the Coopers reactivated yeast is chomping through it o.k.

Tonight at the 4 day mark I'll dry hop 20g Mosaic in a chux cloth and bump up the temp to finish it off.

Sample tasted awesome, and I'm considering dry hopping with 40g rather than the 20g stated above, I've only used Cascade hops in brews so far and the aroma from this Mosaic is something else.... Can't wait to drink this once it's ready. ?

Cheers, Lee

Just in the middle of brew day. Doing the ESVA 18.  I have opted for a steep at 70 rather than doing a cold steep. I’m also using US05 rather than coopers commercial yeast.  I had two stubbys last night of the esva I got from bottle shop.  Whilst it’s still a great drop, I think I prefer the earlier vintages 

I took a sample of the sour yesterday and its sitting at 1.008. It has a slight sourness to it, but i was hoping for more. Im not sure what the final gravity will be but i reckon its close. Might transfer to a secondary and add the cherries later today. Dunno

I decided to transfer it to a second FV and add the cherries. I thawed the cherries and put them in a clean, sanitised paint strainer bag and transfered the beer on top. Ill probably take a sample in a few days and see whats its like. 

Cheers!

Threw the dry hop in earlier this morning finally. The krausen had dropped as well, and I'll drop the temp tomorrow. I ended up going with 80g Vic Secret, split into two large tea strainer balls. The FG samples smelt great, tasted good but too yeasty, that will go away in time though with the cold crash and isinglass. 

Minding a mates house up in the hills for the month and its colder then usual, might be some good lagering weather ? without a fridge alot of 3 degree nights, 14 to 18 degree days, hmmm heatbelt and the Inkbird ITC-310T I mentioned in one of my posts above?

Tristan

Bottled my latest pacific ale today. No cold crashing, as I have no beer apart from my Brut ipa in storage. Couldn’t go another few weeks only having that on tap as the Brut ipa doesn’t look promising. Ha ha ha 

cold crashing my stout for the wife to bottle when I get back from work. 

Then going to push out a couple of brews straight up next week to get the stocks up again

Archived