Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

4 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

I just thawed them and added them to the beer. They are in a bag though so maybe i should pull them out and smoosh em up a bit?

Cherries have a very hard exterior skin, so would take quite sometime to break down in liquid if left whole (I would think). The flavour from the cherry is from the juice inside the skin so I would suggest you do "smoosh em up a bit". Leaving the beer in contact with whole berries will simply leach colour from the skin, but little in the way of flavour.

The premise of red wine colour is built on this as the juice of most red grapes is clear & the colour of red wine comes from leaving that juice in contact with the red skins of the grapes for a predetermined amount of time. For example a Cabernet Sauvignon would have the juice left in contact with the skins for a longer period to leach more colour to create a deep red to black colour, whereas a Rose` has only a short amount of skin contact time to throw a lighter, pinker blush or hue.

For a Blueberry Porter a couple of years ago, I actually made a lumpy compote out of the fruit mixed with some sugar/dextrose over a short boil to break down the fruit & release the juices. It produced a lovely flavour & aroma through the beer.

Best of luck with it Rowbrew. ?

Lusty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it looks like my first attempt with re-activating the CCA yeast has been successful. My Mosaic Amber Ale reached F.G on around day 7 coming in at 1.008 down from 1.043 O.G.

Mosaic dry hop (20g) was removed on day 6 and was given the 'Lusty squeeze' then dipped again and squeezed for a second time.

Cold crashing now until Monday night, doing staggered temp drops of 3°C every 6-9 hours and will hold at 3 or 4 deg. 

Hydrometer sample was great! smells awesome like a passionfruit or mango or something.. but still tastes malty and has good bitterness with a nice fruity touch. Very happy.       

SWMBO even liked the aroma!!!

Cheers, Lee

Cheers for the advice Kelsey ?

I've been doing my cold crashes like that as I brew in a split fridge freezer and I'm lagering in the freezer section while cold crashing  the brew in the fridge part. If I drop straight down to 4°C from 20°C I'll have  pilsner slushy's or pilsner ice bricks. Doing it this way my freezer is never getting too low while on the warmest setting.

Originally I was cold crashing in the freezer section but got sick of having to move the F.V. around.

This will be my first cold crash where I am not doing a full 6 or 7 days. I'm in a hurry to get some beers down. I began ramping down on thursday and the final step down  to 4°C was 6am this morning, I'm pretty confident this one will be pretty clear regardless as the brew began to drop clear on around Wednesday.

I've been struggling to get good carbonation in bottles within 3 weeks at 18°C + conditioning, so I'm wondering if a little bit too much yeast has been dropping out of suspension during my cold crashes (getting crystal clear results so far with no finings in any brews)

I've also lifted my cold crash temp up to 4°C this time, in past brews I've gone to 0°C.

Just mixing things up a bit mate, trying to iron out a few issues but writing it all down so I can learn from it and then always try to improve my end product.

Its warming up soon here in Adelaide anyway, so I'll be having to keep the freshly packaged beers under the ambient temps in my brewery  ?

Cheers everyone, have a great weekend!

Lee

Ok, that makes sense mate, didn't realise you had a setup like that. I wouldn't have thought a week long cold crash would drop enough yeast out to affect carbonation that much though. I usually noticed they took a bit longer than without one but by three weeks they were done. Even lagers that were cold crashed for 4-5 weeks before bottling still carbonated in 2-3 weeks. Maybe they've been dropping below 18 a bit?

As posted in the kegging thread, the Vic Secret PA is being kegged today, probably once I finish writing this post. Which means tomorrow the next batch goes in, which is the first Bohemian Pilsner I've done in a while. This is a 21L batch and OG is 1.0503, so it should end up somewhere around 5% ABV. The yeast is Wyeast 2278, which is apparently the Urquell D-strain, it's my first time using it so I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs both fermentation wise and in the final product in the glass. The cube will be going into the brew fridge tonight just before I go to bed, so it can chill down somewhere under the ferment temp of 10C before pitching tomorrow. I want to do this more with lagers, and even ales if possible as I feel it results in a better outcome than pitching warm and bringing the temp down.

Will post updates as it goes along,

Cheers

Kelsey

The pilsner is in the fermenter now, yeast pitched and into the brew fridge. I forgot to put the cube in there last night so I did it this morning instead. Pitching temp was around 13 degrees so better than room temperature but not as low as I wanted. Will have to have a better memory next time ?

Only got 20 litres in there too which was a bit of a surprise but still enough for a 19 litre keg which is the aim so not too worried about it. Will ferment at 10 degrees, and check SG on Monday which will be 5 days since pitching.

My IPA and Toucan Stout are ripping along, most likely due to a massive overpitch of the CCA slurry I used in both batches.

Stout was spilling out krausen everywhere after 24hrs, as I stupidly chose to put it in the F.V with the least headroom. ? and got excited and pitched 360mls of slurry instead of the 250mls i intended ?..  I'm not too fussed about getting an infection as everything was sanitised well, fingers crossed.. messy fridge though.

While the IPA was up and roaring along after 6 or 7 hrs with a 2 inch krausen. I pitched 240mls of slurry in that one I think.. Smelling great and looking very juicy now.

Hopefully I get some beer!

Cheers, Lee

Congrats on the CCA slurry usage & brew progress Lee. I was just having a giggle about the stout headroom or lack thereof that many make the same mistake with by not allowing enough. ?

Cheers & best of luck with both brews. You've come a long way in a reasonably short time. Well done! ?

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty,

Learning from the best, with all you guys and girls and thanks to the friendly folk at Coopers for giving us this platform ?

My IPA jumped up to 21/22°C from 18°C during the day Lusty, and I could smell a banana aroma along with the obvious Galaxy aromas, so I've tried to hold it at that temp so as to promote that banana ester. ?should be a nice addition to the brew.

Cheers, Lee

24 minutes ago, #granted+brew said:

...My IPA jumped up to 21/22°C from 18°C during the day Lusty, and I could smell a banana aroma along with the obvious Galaxy aromas, so I've tried to hold it at that temp so as to promote that banana ester. ?

I'm very envious of what you have before you right now, as this is exactly what I'll be aiming for with the brew I'll start tomorrow.

You're one of the few on this forum that seems to embrace the ester profile that the CCA yeast can produce in a home brewing environment so consider US mates for life! ? ?

The IPA you just described sounds freakin' awesome!

Lusty.

Normally I would agree with you two about pushing the ester thing too far. This particular beer is different. It's hard to put into words for those that don't like esters to understand. Normally an ester like this becomes dominant over the other flavours etc. & makes the beer seem a bit off. Not in this case. It is not a dominant aspect of the beer & compliments the hopping beautifully (IMHO).

Speaking of which, I need to get started on this brew. ?

Lusty.

I think this pilsner is finally showing some signs of activity nearly two days after pitching the yeast. There is a smattering of bubbles on the surface that aren't from simply tipping the wort into the FV but from some kind of activity. I'm never really concerned with these longish lag times though, seen it happen too often with lager strains being pitched a bit warmer than ferment temp and brought down. They get going eventually and the beer still tastes fine. I expect there will be a small layer of foam on top of the beer when I am home again in a few hours.

I'm happy to report the Fruit Salad Ale using the reactivated CCA yeast is up & going & appears to be fermenting well.

The brew is currently sitting @ 21.5°C & won't be pushed much higher than about 22°C for the full ferment.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Sounds good guys 

Day 4 now with my two, the stout is at 1.022 and the IPA is down at 1.011

Raised the temp to 21°C on the Stout and the IPA is just cruising along there already. Will dry hop the IPA after the kids are asleep, 20g Cascade and 30g Galaxy.

Tossing up between maybe dropping the Cascade out and using up my last 15g of Mosaic out of the freezer instead and bump up the galaxy to 35g ?

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone.

Cheers, Lee

I just did a quick pale ale before we head up to Gold Coast for a week with the kids, the temperature control will get its first real test as I set it for stages. I really need to do a partial mash to use up some grains but...

Kilowog Krush

1.5kg briess pale ale malt

250g wheat malt

700g light dry malt 10l boil with the wheat and dry malt

250g dextrose added after the boil

250g carapils steeped and added to the boil

8g of warrior 60min

10g citra and Nelson sauvin 15min

25g citra, nelson sauvin, galaxy flameout 15 min steep then actively cooled to pitching temp.

1 Nottingham rehydrated

OG 1.045 set for 17c for 4 days then 18c for 2 days then 19c for 2 days and then 21c for 3 days and finally a cold crash at 3c for 3days with a dry hop before the cold crash.

I will probably dump 35g of Nelson sauvin, 75g of citra and galaxy each for the dry hop. I think the IBUS are between 28 and 31, I am having issues with beersmith so I used Ian's spreadsheet.

Cheers,

Norris

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I just did a quick pale ale before we head up to Gold Coast for a week with the kids, the temperature control will get its first real test as I set it for stages. I really need to do a partial mash to use up some grains but...

Kilowog Krush

1.5kg briess pale ale malt

250g wheat malt

700g light dry malt 10l boil with the wheat and dry malt

250g dextrose added after the boil

250g carapils steeped and added to the boil

8g of warrior 60min

10g citra and Nelson sauvin 15min

25g citra, nelson sauvin, galaxy flameout 15 min steep then actively cooled to pitching temp.

1 Nottingham rehydrated

OG 1.045 set for 17c for 4 days then 18c for 2 days then 19c for 2 days and then 21c for 3 days and finally a cold crash at 3c for 3days with a dry hop before the cold crash.

I will probably dump 35g of Nelson sauvin, 75g of citra and galaxy each for the dry hop. I think the IBUS are between 28 and 31, I am having issues with beersmith so I used Ian's spreadsheet.

Cheers,

Norris

Nice one Norris!

i can really start to see the quandong wheat coming out soon. Let us know when you’re going to brew it. ?

Nice brew and dry hop btw. 

You’re really starting to come along. 

Captain

Archived