Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

Haha! I see Kilo and Wog. No no, I dont use those terms as I know the sting of a well placed word, but I see your joke!

This isn't a clone beer but it is based off the kaiju krush, big flavour with enough malt to hold it up but not take over the show. I used dextrose because I am using extract and I wanted a crisp and dry finish, which you AG guys can get from adjusting the mash temp or length.

Ole Kilowog is a Green Lantern Drill Sgt. and I felt I should give this some kind of cool name, and I just had a kaiju krush so that was on my mind while trying to think of a name. If it has the flavour and aroma near a krush I will be happy and wont change the name to Starlords Piss or Thanos' Click.

Norris

images.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So smashed out a session hazy summer IPA with US-05, El Derado and Mosaic hops, was to somewhat of a recipe that I came across a few months ago...

Boil: 60 minutes
Boil Volume: 27 liters

Fermenter Volume: 23 liters

OG: 1.042 @ 19 liters

I topped this to 23 an came out at 1.038, I'm happy anyways.

3 kg CBW Pilsen Extra Light (99% Pilsner/1% Carapils)
1kg Rolled Oats
500g Rolled Barley
500g Rolled Wheat

Mash in at 71 degrees for 60 minutes with 6 liters of water (!@#$ed this, forgot about the drop, ended up adding about 3 liters of boiled water to get it to 70, close enough), sparged with another 3 liters to get 5 liters, this reminds me of clag. ? why am I making this hazy on purpose.

10g El Derado @60 min (only hop edition for boil)

Hop Stand at end of boil @ 82 degrees (end up being 78 degrees) for 20 minutes, cooled to pitching temperature.

32g El Derado
32g Mosaic (woops !@#$ing scales went to sleep, ended up with 34g)

Dry hop additions for Tuesday.

Same as hop stand, 2 days in for 3 days.

Had a look at my American Brown and my mead today after a couple of weeks away visiting family. 

The Brown is down to 1.010 (6.3% abv) and clear as a bell so I'll skip the dry hop and bottle tomorrow night.

The mead is also down to 1.010 (13.4% abv), but still fairly yeasty so I'll give it another month or two to clarify. I don't think there will be any more fermentation at that abv level. I think it will taste great, the gravity sample had plenty of delicious honey character and a hint of residual sweetness. 

Cheers, 

John

10 hours ago, tja1980 said:

3kg CBW Pilsen Extra Light (99% Pilsner/1% Carapils)
1kg Rolled Oats
500g Rolled Barley
500g Rolled Wheat

Mash in at 71 degrees for 60 minutes with 6 liters of water (!@#$ed this, forgot about the drop, ended up adding about 3 liters of boiled water to get it to 70, close enough), sparged with another 3 liters to get 5 liters, this reminds me of clag. ? why am I making this hazy on purpose.

The Pilsen extra light is extract yah? 

I’m curious as how this will turn out as it looks like you mashed without any malted barely or malted wheat, so I assume you won’t have converted any of the starches from the rolled oats/barley/wheat. There might be some enzymes in unmalted wheat and barley, but I’m not sure. 

Put in both of the latest brews today. 

A hoppy pale of Styrian Fox hops and the basically all cascade. 

Another yeast pitch of 1056 using “The Kelsey Method” and the other I dropped a couple of packs US05. 

A friend of mine is getting me another stir plate and erlanmeyer flask from his work, so I’ll be able to pitch two lots of liquid yeast using this method. 

Looking forward to the Styrian Fox pale. 

Captain

2 hours ago, SG114 said:

Put this one down yesterday just to try something different, has anyone brewed this before?

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/steam-beer.html

Yes. If you've not had a steam beer before expect something a little different than you're used to. I quite enjoyed it, but it's not something I could drink all the time.

Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi SG,

I have not done the Steam Beer before. It looks interesting though.  I have a Real Ale can in my stocks, so I will be interested in how yours turns out. Keep us posted.

Cheers Shamus

Will do!

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Yes. If you've not had a steam beer before expect something a little different than you're used to. I quite enjoyed it, but it's not something I could drink all the time.

Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

I've tried the Mountain Goat steam before and that was decent so we'll see how this turns out.

Cheers

Steve

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

What is the Kelsey method? Is that making a bigger starter with the liquid yeast so you can have left over yeast to use later?

The “Kelsey Method”!!!

I bet Kelsey named it. The man’s ego is out of control ?

I managed the Coopers Vintage Ale 18 yesterday while my folks were here. Dad just kept telling me "If a brew took me that long, I wouldn't bother..." ?

Swapped out the Aramis for Willamette due to LHBS stock and subbed half the dextrose for LDME due to me being too lazy to walk to the supermarket to get more coopers dextrose.

Used some 2nd gen Commercial yeast that I havested back at the end of July. A bit old, but I had 2 jars of it so pitched both. Checked on it this morning and had serious action only 16hrs post pitch. ?

Came in only a few points under @ 1062 then I realized I had filled to 23L instead of the recipes' 21L. Oh well, bonus 2L, right?

Waiting on a free night to bottle my 2nd stab at a BoPils and will then be trying out the Goodnight America in the Lager FV.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

The “Kelsey Method”!!!

I bet Kelsey named it. The man’s ego is out of control ?

To be honest I’ve named it that, not to help with his ego, just to put a name to it. It’s easier to write than yeast harvesting method after starter for reuse generation after generation.

ha ha ha ha

I had a bad batch from it once because I reused the yeast too many times ? but I had to take it that far to see how many generations is safe. 

I tested my pilsner today and it's slow as hell, only dropped to 1.037ish. I've raised the temp from 10 to 12 to hopefully kick it along a bit. Probably won't allow it to rise to 18 until Wednesday now. 

Update on my current brews at day 7.

IPA had its dry hop removed tonight. Ended up using 20g Mosaic and 25 Galaxy wrapped in a chux. SG is at 1.009 down from 1.045 with the CCA slurry I harvested from my last brew.

By far my hoppiest beer yet with 110g total.

The PB2's Toucan Stout I've got on is slowly fermenting out. It was  down at 1.017 tonight down from 1.058 with the same yeast.

I've got a cold so couldn't really taste the samples very well. ? Stout smelled nice enough and the IPA smells like fruit cup cordial.

I should get a stable reading on the IPA tomorrow night as I suspect it finished a day or two ago. The brew is clearing up now and not looking so juicy anymore. If stable, I'll cold crash it and let the stout come up another degree and finish it off up at 22°C.

Cheers, Lee

Archived