Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Still causing issues.... don't know what to do really.
Third lot of wrap is in the bin, cleaned out the fermeezer... I'll lower the temp and open ferment for a bit, hopefully it slows down sometime.

Not sure if there is much you can do other than keep cleaning up. Perhaps sit the FV in a container of some sort to keep the fermeezer clean (if space allows).

My lager was dropped the final couple of degrees to 3 yesterday and will sit there until kegging day next week sometime. I'll have to get the stir plate back too for the next yeast starter. Looks like the heat pad thingy in it is stuffed, but it still stirs and I won't really need heat now anyway.

19 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My lager was dropped the final couple of degrees to 3 yesterday and will sit there until kegging day next week sometime. I'll have to get the stir plate back too for the next yeast starter. Looks like the heat pad thingy in it is stuffed, but it still stirs and I won't really need heat now anyway.

Are you still using WY2000 Budvar on your lagers?

Have two lagers on the go at the moment using the yeast. One a budvar clone and the other an asian lager. Took an SG reading yesterday when I took them out to do a D Rest @ ambient temp and they are like crystal clear even though it is still fermenting. It is normally an OK flocculater but nothing like this and nothing like this when it still has about 6 or 7 points to go.. The yeast is 7th or 8th Generation.

Are you getting anything like this?

Still using it yeah, not sure what generation I'm up to as I got a bit slack with keeping records of the harvests, but I'd guess around 6-8. I don't find it's crystal clear while it's still fermenting although I do take the sample when it's got about 15-20 points left. However, FG samples are usually somewhat cloudy but they drop clear in half a day or so sitting in the sample tube.

Rice Lager has hit FG; 1008.  W34/70 drops like a stone.

Very light yellow colour. Taste- light body, dry finish, complementing bitterness. Sulphur aroma and taste is still a little overpowering to comment on what the Citra has bought to this. Can't wait to get this in the glass. 

Cheers,

Dave. 

1 hour ago, Koo wee brew said:

Rice Lager has hit FG; 1008.  W34/70 drops like a stone.

Very light yellow colour. Taste- light body, dry finish, complementing bitterness. Sulphur aroma and taste is still a little overpowering to comment on what the Citra has bought to this. Can't wait to get this in the glass. 

Cheers,

Dave. 

Awesome mate I've Ben looking up recipes of my own to do a rice Lager. Will do a sushi rice cereal mash me thinks with the Gladfield Lager Light malt. Citra looks like a good choice. Sorachi Ace would be cool to do too to keep it Japanese. Will see what I hops I have in inventory when I do brew this lager

1 hour ago, Fergy1987 said:

13 days in....should I keep waiting or just bottle this damn thing. Not much krausen to drop and it's just a thin layer of crud. gravity has been steady for a while

20180807_172002.jpg

If you have the means to cold crash I would do it for 2-3 days and it might drop but if you don’t I would just bottle. 

22 hours ago, joolbag said:

Will do a sushi rice cereal mash me thinks with the Gladfield Lager Light malt. Citra looks like a good choice. Sorachi Ace would be cool to do too to keep it Japanese.

Good luck mate. 

Keeping it Japanese sounds cool. The only beer I've tried with Sorachi Ace was from Mornington Peninsula brewery. Very tasty and refreshing. 

https://mpbrew.com.au/beer/sorachi/

I'll send you one of mine if it turns out. 

Cheers,

Dave. 

On 8/6/2018 at 6:33 PM, Ben 10 said:

Dropped the RIS to 14° and it seems to have calmed down....

On 8/6/2018 at 6:34 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Sounds like it’s like trying to calm down a teenager. 

Maybe don't take the X-Box away next time. ?

Archived