Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

Not sure Styrian goldings is quite to style for a European lager but it's only a small amount so it probably won't dominate the flavour. 

Yep insulating the probe against the fermenter is a much better option than just dangling it in the fridge. Short of putting it directly into the beer with a thermowell it's the best way to measure and control the fermentation temp.

Meanwhile, my Waimea pale ale is sitting at zero degrees, added the isinglass yesterday and will add the Polyclar Sunday, as the stir plate will be busy all today and tomorrow spinning up a Budvar Lager yeast starter for the German lager that's going in next.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't be brewing again until September now so really just wanted it out the fridge as it would have been sitting there for 8 months roughly by the time i done my next one.

Do you get any ice forming at that temp? When I last cold crashed the bravest i got was 3 degrees.

I really fancy doing a pale ale but as an out an out lager drinker i worry about it being too heavy for me and my sissy tastes ?

No ice at zero, beer freezes below zero due to the alcohol. Same reason why you can put a bottle of spirits in the freezer and it won't freeze. My kegerator is set to -1 although I'm doubtful it actually gets that low in there from measuring it, and that beer lines and the soda water one never block up, which they would if it froze it. The beer doesn't seem that cold in the glass either, so I dunno what the actual temp is but it works for me so I leave it there. 

I have had the odd batch get a bit of ice on top of it in the fermenter during the cold crash so I figure it's somehow dropped below zero far enough for that to happen. Seems to happen more in the warmer weather when the brew seemingly takes a million years to actually reach zero, and the fridge doesn't turn off for ages. If it does it again I might just take the probe off for the cold crash and change the temperature difference on the controller so the ambient sits between 0 and 2 or something. It'll still do the job.

Cheers

Kelsey

I just put down a quick extract Kozacca Ale

1 Black rock light can 1.7kg

500 g of light malt dry extract

250g of wheat malt and dextrose

250g of carapils and caramalt steeped for 30 minutes

10g of warrior for 60min

30g of kohatu and azacca hops at 5 min boil

30g of each steeped for 15 minutes

m44 yeast

Cheers

Norris

I have been digging it. I thought I had come up with a new combo a few months ago, azacca and mosaic, but of course it had already been done, but still one of my favorite combos with this hop. I have never tried kohatu so I am hoping this pairing goes well.

The N. The O. The R. The R. The I. The S.

I have a couple of lemon trees in my yard and they are chock a block full of lemons,  so decided to brew a fermenter or 2 of hard lemonade using pretty basic recipe,  this time for my Coopers baby fermenter,

30 lemons zested and juiced,

10 whole lemons cut up to small pieces for bitterness, 

100 grams of chopped up raisins,

1.5 kg of dextrose,

10 grams of ec 1118 champagne yeast with 5 grams of yeast nutrient.

boiled all ingredients in 4 litres of water for around 1 hour, cooled down up to 9 litres and pitched at 22C with rehydrated yeast.

OG is 1048, with expected ABV of 6 %

If there is healthy yeast activity tomorrow morning I'm planing to do another 25 litres of the same.

Will be using stevia for sweetness at bottling  time,  at 12 little aldi brand tablets per litre, together with normal priming sugar amounts.

I am back after a year backpacking around the world. 

I've decided to start off with a few days I had in Germany where I witnessed the cologne / Dusseldorf rivalry.

So first up, a kolsch of course.

Very simple quick recipe

1 Canadian blonde kit

1 1.5kg light Pilsen liquid malt

20g hallertau steeped

K97 yeast

16 degree ferment

See how we go. First attempt after 381 days off, so this one will be called '381 day kolsch' 

I bottled my Aramis Pils lite on Friday night. From my taste of the FG sample, it is thankfully not too sweet.

Now that I've got nothing fermenting I need to plan the next batch. I'm thinking something with roasted barley, rye malt and lager yeast.

Cheers, 

John

I removed the dry hops from my Mosaic Amber Ale a little earlier today & have now started the cold conditioning phase. I'll look to keg it this coming Thursday. ☺️

It's smelling good. I can't wait to get it on the pour. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, Graculus said:

I started a Dark Monk yesterday.

It was supposed to be done on Friday, but work got in the way, so the grains steeped a bit longer than they should.

Anyhow it's happily bubbling away at 19C in the fridge now.

I did a dark and is a little new still but tasted very nice

I finally got around to fermenting the milk stout I brewed a few weeks ago. On the weekend I added the vanilla beans that had been soaking in an 18 year old Extremely Rare Glenmorangie (that’s all I had) and will keg it on the weekend.

On Sunday the fridge will be used for my Brother in Law’s beer. He is just getting started and we are kicking it off with a simple Coopers English Bitter kit.

Archived