Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the Barbarian Yeast went to town like Conan in the snake temple. I almost missed the diacetyl rest, after 2 1/2 days it went down to 1.018. I usually don't even check the gravity until day 4, live and learn, I only checked because day 1 1/2 the bubbler was going less than every second and then tonight it had slowed some, so I checked it. The sample was juicy, what I was hoping for so far, maybe from the oats and wheat mix? I am not doing a biotransformation dry hop as I am only going 35g each of centennial and galaxy. I am happy so far with this result, partial mash 2 is going Well!

Norris

20 hours ago, tja1980 said:

ooh post up your ginger beer ? i'm keen to use my ginger from my backyard as theres alot of it, never done a hard ginger ale

Tristan, just noticed this, my bad. I cheat! I by my LHBS ginger beer, Cheeky Peaks. If you ever had a chance to try it you know why. Unfortunately they have stopped producing it, so...I am out here on the street trying to get a recipe hahah!I have 1 last wort kit and then nothinggone black and white GIF by AlanGuzman

27 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Unfortunately they have stopped producing it

Oh bugger!

Boys, I will try to find my recipe. It was amazing, spicy, smooth, so good. It started with a cheap can of the Coopers Ginger Beer (i think) but then there was a steep with lots of stuff like fresh ginger, from memory it had a combination of demerara sugar and...maybe brown? whatever it was it produced a nice caramel tone which smoothed out the spiciness. As I mentioned before I haven't brewed for ages, so I hope I can find it.

Norris,

All good ;D kind of want to do two ginger beers, one like the Jamaican ginger ale think its using chillis and rum, and the other a hard one, heard bread yeast is used, not totally sure its one my nanna used to brew and she was a pastry chef ?, I'll see what I can come up with ? then post it up.

Sweet!! If everyone comes through that will be 3 recipes to try! I hope your brews go well, there are plenty of folks on here interested in ginger beers so any research/trial and error is great. I will be watching!

amy poehler popcorn GIF

Took my usual 3 day SG sample of the Waimea pale ale just now, it's sitting around 1.028-29 down from 1.0484. Predicted FG is 1.012 so into the second half now. I'll let it go at 18 until tonight some time then raise the controller up to 22C. Not gonna bother tasting it yet because it will be obviously too sweet, but the aroma definitely smells good. I'll throw in the dry hop probably on Saturday so it can have 3-4 days at warmish temps before the cold crash.

Cheers

Kelsey

On 7/2/2018 at 4:03 PM, Norris! said:

Cheers Lusty! I used to be pretty scared of esters but now I am like, "crank the temp and let the good esters roll!" I am currently brewing a lil NEIPA type ale, it will be around 4% alcohol with A04 Barbarian Yeast, it is said to have some crazy esters going for it, but I am going to do this one at about 18c and then let the temp rise after day 3 or 4 depending on the sample reading. I will harvest some yeast and the next batch I will ferment at 22c or so.

That's a good way to approach testing your like/dislike for yeast derived esters. In some styles & with some yeasts they work very well in with the beer flavours, but with others they can be the killer of what would otherwise be a very good beer.

Some of the wheat beer yeasts are quite fun to play around with in this space being able to shift from phenolics such as clove & bubblegum at lower ferment temps through to banana type esters at the higher end. You have to have a like for wheat beers though. ?

On 7/2/2018 at 7:20 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's more boiling them in water that leads to the harshness. 

I had some astringency related issues in my beers for sometime & after some trial & error I reckon I nailed it down to hop teas in pure water. There may have been some contributing factors around that including the 80°C temp, time length of the steep, chlorinated tap water etc. but all I know is that this astringency stopped once I started doing the hop tea steep in wort.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

That's a good way to approach testing your like/dislike for yeast derived esters. In some styles & with some yeasts they work very well in with the beer flavours, but with others they can be the killer of what would otherwise be a very good beer. That is why I have done everything in my power to reduce or eliminate any esters in my beers, I always thought esters were a fault and could ruin a perfectly good beer. I guess it comes down to personal preferences.  I think I want to stay away from any phenol flavours if possible.

Norris

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I had some astringency related issues in my beers for sometime & after some trial & error I reckon I nailed it down to hop teas in pure water. There may have been some contributing factors around that including the 80°C temp, time length of the steep, chlorinated tap water etc. but all I know is that this astringency stopped once I started doing the hop tea steep in wort.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I remember you having those issues, glad you've been able to sort it out now. I haven't done any hop additions either boiled or steeped in plain water ever, so I wouldn't know what sort of faults it might cause. I wouldn't blame chlorinated tap water though, that is more likely to result in band-aid, medicinal even plastic like flavors but not astringent.

@Norris! Esters aren't necessarily a fault. Some of it comes down to personal preference but in some styles they form part of the overall flavor/aroma of the beer and are supposed to be there. English ales can be fermented a bit warmer to get more esters from the yeast, but they don't have to be brewed this way. I usually ferment them slightly warmer to get a bit of a fruity ester profile but not overdo it, as I still like the malt and hop bitterness to be at the forefront. Personally, I'm not really a fan of esters in general in my beers and generally not a fan of beers or beer styles where esters are the dominating feature of the flavor/aroma makeup. As a result I tend to use yeasts that don't produce many, as well as fermenting at the lower end of the temp range to reduce them or eliminate them altogether.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:32 PM, tja1980 said:

If I can get rid of using artificial sugars that would be great you can always taste them in drinks, so I'll look at modifying that recipe, may replace it with brown sugar.

Tristan

try using Stevia, can be found in Aldi, Coles and Woolies with other artificial sweeteners. It is a natural product and it goes a lot better then splenda with ginger beer or cider. Aldi ones are in form of small tablets and are cheapest of the 3

Just dry hopped my Route 66 Session Ale with 50g Amarillo. I contained them in a bag with a stainless steel bolt to weigh it down this time. See if its any different to my Throwback clone that i dry hopped commando style

On 7/5/2018 at 11:23 AM, ZedT said:

try using Stevia, can be found in Aldi, Coles and Woolies with other artificial sweeteners. It is a natural product and it goes a lot better then splenda with ginger beer or cider. Aldi ones are in form of small tablets and are cheapest of the 3

@ZedT I'll give it a bang, cheers ?

Tristan

Set German lager/pilsner this morning at 18 C temp, made up of toucan coopers mexican cerveza and other bits and pieces. Lowering temperature tomorrow morning down to 10 C for the next 3 weeks, adding dry hops after 15 days. 

3 weeks all up at 10C.

Bottling at day 21,  4-5 days for D rest and carbing at 18-19 C, depending on hardness of plastic bottles, before sending back to a deep frosty cave for a long, cold , winter sleep.

I bottled similar lager 5 weeks ago, done with 2 cans of euro lager, maltose, flaked corn and saaz,  tested one last night and it is soooo good in every aspect of a beautiful lager that I can't see how it can improve any further. I hardly ever taste my lagers before week 10 and was really pleasantly  surprised ☺️

toucan.png

1st Borough Lager was bottled this week.

I washed the w34/70 and threw it in this nasty Black Pils (I've dubbed it "PilsNoir") this morning.

IMG_20180707_132918.png.d1fda7703e3357ef56fa0a0bc894cb6d.png
Don't mind the Spidey crotch-shot.
Added some saaz tea to the mix and will add an Ekuanot dry hop somewhere in the next 7 days.

It's already bubbling!?
bart simpson GIF

Hop slam (AU) in the ferment fridge (bottle Thurs) - so this baby's running ambient temps.
Gotta keep it up to 24C for the first 24hrs or so. So it's getting cosy with a warm water bottle and the ski jacket.

As you can see from the cans in the background - this is the start of a trio of black beers before I put an amber ale down.

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

Mate that temp probe isn't going anywhere with the amount of blue masking tape u used! Looks good, keep us posted on how Kölsch tastes. Which yeast?

I have used wyeast 2526. Kolcsh yeast. going to try yeast washing to reuse this yeast. At $13 a packet it can be very economical to reuse it 

11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's no need to keep the temp up if you're using washed yeast. There should be ample cells to be able to start it at lager temps. The high temps could result in off flavours.

I was following the recipe - is that the only reason to keep temps up? If you're pitching dry yeast?

The fact that it's bubbling already makes me think it wouldn't need it too.

Archived