Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

My stout is stuck at 1.020 with the target being 1.016. 

I will go ahead and bottle on Saturday (all my kegs are full)

I might keep them in my fermentation fridge to carbonate at a stable temperature. What temps do you recommend??it has been a long time since I have bottled. 

Cheers

BB

If it’s stopped, it’s stopped. I’d consider that pretty close to target though. Others wouldn’t but I do. 

Hope it tastes great B.B. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Czech pils bubbling away since Sunday. My first lager (yeast) effort and first hop tea addition (baby steps). It's reeeeeal stanky compared the the 3 ales I made previous. Gotta try and restrain myself from dry hopping it.

Experimenting with the temp control off and the fridge door open for tonight to see how ambient temps handle it here in Melbourne. If it's a success I'm gonna just sit it on the bench for the rest of ferment and put down an IPA or Amber Ale in my 2nd FV in the fridge.

Yeah wary of that. Something tells me ambient isn't gonna cut it but I thought "what the hell". It's held a pretty constant 15°c all day today. Plus I realise it's more of a long haul style anyway. I could always ghetto the temp up with some hot water bottles and a pile of "hello fresh" bio insulation I have lying around.

1 hour ago, elLachlano said:

Yeah wary of that. Something tells me ambient isn't gonna cut it but I thought "what the hell". It's held a pretty constant 15°c all day today. Plus I realise it's more of a long haul style anyway. I could always ghetto the temp up with some hot water bottles and a pile of "hello fresh" bio insulation I have lying around.

lager yeast does not need hot bottles and  higher temperature from what you already have.  There is nothing wrong with 15 C . Patience is a virtue with lagers. It needs to be understood tht lager yeast , saccharomyces pastorianus, is cold tolerant and optimal temperature for brewing lagers with lager yeast is 10-12C.  In my opinion, raising temperatures for longer then a day or 2 to clean dreaded diacetyl, on lager brew defeats the purpose of brewing nice , clean , crisp lager and may introduce unwanted phenols and esters, fruity banana smells. If you want to brew lager-like beer at higher temperatures then best bet is to buy  kolsch or california common yeasts , which are ale yeasts that produce sort of top fermented lagers or steam beers. 

Have you tried it? Raising the temp towards the end of fermentation works. It doesn't introduce shitty flavors just because it's left up there longer than a day or two because the flavors have already been locked in from the first 6 days or so at low temps. I leave mine up there for a week, it's the ramp down afterwards and long period stored cold that really gets lagers at their best along with a large yeast pitch at the beginning. As long as the ferment is begun at the optimal temps and left there long enough, you won't get any unwanted phenols and esters. You're more likely to get those from not pitching enough yeast at the start.

I don't think cutting corners is a very good idea in brewing, however if something can be shortened and produce an equally good outcome then I also fail to see the point in wasting time when it isn't necessary.

11 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Ellachlano, nothing wrong with dry hopping it if you want to ... A lot of the craft brewers over in the US do, even using noble hops. What hops were you thinking of using?

Cheers, 

John

Hey John, thanks for the push... I dunno what hops... I've got topaz, mozaic and eukanot (sp?) on hand. Also have fuggles and saaz, but they're less for dry hopping right? Forgive me I'm new to the hop additions. Back during my first time brewing in my early 20's I was just pumping out basic extract booziness.

Just keged my Ale, disappointed I had a split in my pickup tube so had to repair that but had to degas the fermenter to do so.  Mental note check seals and pickup tube before sealing it away for 3 weeks, oh well had a little taste, its quite nice def Ale worthy.

Moved my Pils out of the ferment fridge to take advantage of the ambient temps. Took a SG and it's 1012 and tasting mighty fine and fizzy.
I'll give it a few more days and add a cautious amount of saaz (trying to avoid grassy flavour I've read about) 2 or so days before bottling, probs Fri/Sat.

Opened the fridge space up for the Kilted IPA I put down yesterday. My first foray into grains (partial)... It was a messy experience.

dirty spongebob squarepants GIF

I actually only got a medium crystal (all the LHBS had) and I upped the grain weight by 100g.

Also I couldn't get the S-04 yeast so I've used a morgan's premium ale sachet. The recipe called for both the S-04 (now Morgan's) and the kit yeast to be added. Since it's a mid strength beer (OG 1037), I felt this was overkill, but did it anyway. Something like 22gms of dried yeast. I rehydrated beforehand - you should've seen the foam on that baby!

The partial mash (or steep) technique was pretty interesting and comfortably sized for my pots and pans kitchen setup.

Riwaka Gold   (Partial Mash)

We received a fresh shipment of Riwaka in store this week so I thought I'd grab some for myself before it all goes -  it's a fast seller, and often hard to get hold of.   There's been little to none available locally for over a year.   So, a simple grain bill to help best showcase this hop:

• 1 x Coopers OS lager
  • 1.6kg Gladfield American Ale MAlt
  • 400g Gladfield Toffee Malt
  • 25g Riwaka (10 min)
  • 25g Riwaka (whirlpool)
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Nottingham Yeast

| OG=1.042 | IBU=25.5 | ABV=4.4% | EBC=8 |

29 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Riwaka Gold   (Partial Mash)

We received a fresh shipment of Riwaka in store this week so I thought I'd grab some for myself before it all goes -  it's a fast seller, and often hard to get hold of.   There's been little to none available locally for over a year.   So, a simple grain bill to help best showcase this hop:

• 1 x Coopers OS lager
  • 1.6kg Gladfield American Ale MAlt
  • 400g Gladfield Toffee Malt
  • 25g Riwaka (10 min)
  • 25g Riwaka (whirlpool)
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Nottingham Yeast

| OG=1.042 | IBU=25.5 | ABV=4.4% | EBC=8 |

Did you buy a kilo? I love Riwaka hops that’s what I’d be doing if we had a shortage here and couldn’t get any for a year.

2 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Did you buy a kilo? I love Riwaka hops that’s what I’d be doing if we had a shortage here and couldn’t get any for a year.

Unfortunately no!  We could only get 5kg to be shared among two stores.  The harvest was well down again this year and I think LHBS's are a fairly low priority when it comes to distributing. ? 

I took a SG reading yesterday of my current lager brew. It was still a little high @ approx. 1.017 & appears to have stalled. I'm blaming the stall on one of the sachets I used being a discounted one I purchased that was near use by date. That's the first & last time I do that!

I re-roused & pitched half a sachet of rehydrated W34/70 to hopefully finish it off. Ferment temp is now @ 20°C. I'll take another SG reading in a few days time & hopefully it is down near where it should end up. It does smell & taste really good though (& I haven't even dry hopped it yet!), if just a little sweet due to the unfermented sugars that still remain.

I vac-sealed the remaining W34/70 for future use. Finger crossed what I pitched does the job. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Did the SG check on my ESB 125 just now. It tipped the scales at 1.012 giving me a 4.8% ABV finished product. Going to let it rest until next week then drop some Fuggles in for a Dry Hop.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew 

Archived