Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I removed the dry hop addition & squeezed the hoppy goodness back into my current lager yesterday morning & the beer is now cold conditioning in readiness for kegging either this coming Sunday or Monday. Despite the negative situation I mentioned about the slightly higher FG, the hydro samples have still been tasting & smelling very good. On a number of fronts I'm very happy with how the beer seems to have turned out. Just the yeast attenuation is what appears to have let this batch down.

I have a couple of other brews lined up next, my Mosaic Amber Ale & the current ROTM Island Toasted Coconut Porter, but after that it'll be back onto brewing another batch of this Enterprising lager. I feel the grail is in sight. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

HI All,

So realized the malt I thought I was using was wrong, the beers not bad at the end of the day its a hopped pale malt, just so dam dark the EBC is way off and to me I think it may have off balanced what its true taste would be like after almost two years brewing does anyone get these feelings?

Tristan

Hey Otto was that APA I finished up last fortnight, put in cbw Munich rather then a cbw golden light, January moving to All Grain, will be putting down the right APA with correct malt this time and a Pilsner.

Tristan

I have a galaxy and centennial ale fermenting away. It was a partial mash with Maris otter and blackrock light liquid malt and a little wheat for head retention and some oats. I used Barabrian Yeast from imperial yeast. My last batch I used cable car yeast, which is just a cali common strain, it was clean and even though I used BE2 it let the malt come through while the hops still shined. I am will probably ferment the barbarian at 17 to 18c and let it rise, if it will in this weather after 3 or 4 days depending on the gravity readings. I want to ferment it at 22c to see what esters I get but the pragmatist in me says to ferment low to see how clean the yeast can be and then on another batch let the temp go.

We tried a Dainton XSA session ale that had some nice esters going. It really highlighted, to me, another dimension that can be added that I was to ignorant about.

Happy brewing everyone,

Norris

Today:

Got the 1st Borough Lager dry hopped with some Amarillo (in place of cascade, which I have none of).

Bottled my Kilted IPA this week which left me open for an ale fermenter. Chucked down another stab at the Hop Slam (AU) cos the last one was under carbed due to rookie bulk priming.

I really liked this as a quick and simple "bottle filler".

I'm sure it'll be "all bubbles" in the morning!

Just transferred my toned down Aramis pils into the 10 litre jerry can that it will ferment in and pitched yeast. It's sharing my Cool Brewing Bag with my Centennial DIPL which will be getting its dry hop on Monday night.

Now I have to think what I want to brew next. I have a couple of hop varietals in the freezer that I've never used, Dr Rudi and Bravo. I think PB2 has said good things about Bravo in the past (and Stan Hieronymous says its a very underrated hop with high oil content), so that might be the first to get a run. 

Cheers,

John

Just put my Waimea pale ale into the fermenter. Ended up with 24 litres, OG is 1.0484. Not sure what the efficiency is as I haven't punched it into beersmith yet but it'll be less than the target 75%. For some reason the boil isn't increasing the SG as much as it used to with 25L batches, so I tried boiling a bit longer knowing the volume would be reduced slightly. I'm not that worried though, the beer is still nice.

Pitched the starter of 1272 yeast with the wort temp about 22°C, with fermentation happening at 18. This is my last batch with this yeast, I'm going back to 1056 as I don't really like the tartness the 1272 gives. It's not heaps but noticeable. 

Should be kegging in about 15-16 days time. Due in next is another German lager.

Cheers

Kelsey

Burton Bitter

Pitched the yeast in this one about 3pm on Saturday into a 14oC 1.041 wort. Sunday at 10am there was a big white fluffy krausen.

Burton on Trent water profile

Maris Otter

a touch of Dark Crystal

Challenger and EKG

London ESB

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew  

Efficiency a bit under 70% on that pale ale, however when checking the recipe on Beersmith I also found that the mash efficiency was down for some reason as well. Anyway, this morning when I got home from my first half it had a 5-10mm layer of foam on top so it's up and going. Somewhere around the 18 hour mark at a guess. I'll check the SG on Wednesday which will be 3 full days since pitching, and raise the temp to 22 either then or on Thursday.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Guys!

First time back in probably 3.5 years. Went through a divorce and house sale etc and was unable / uninterested in brewing, but I am back on track!

Figured I'd start out basic and test out my fermenting rig (got a manually built BrewPi fridge) wanted to make sure my cleaning / sanitising, and equipment were all still doing what they should, also brewing in a different environment so needed to test that too.

I am doing a basic NZ Hop Slam IPA with TC IPA, LDM and a bucket load of Motueka, a faithful (albeit basic) recipe to get me going and make sure I remember everything.

It's day 6 now and the BrewPI out in the shed is doing a great job of maintain a nice stable temp, even with the cold weather. The dry hops went in yesterday. Looking forward to having a taste.

Next task is to build a new keg fridge as the old one died right before moving!

Cheers guys

Adam

On 6/30/2018 at 6:27 PM, Norris! said:

We tried a Dainton XSA session ale that had some nice esters going. It really highlighted, to me, another dimension that can be added that I was to ignorant about.

If you like that ester profile & how it works in with hopping notes, then you'd be pretty impressed with the Coopers DIY: Fruit Salad Ale. A combination of banana esters from the yeast blend in with citrus, passionfruit/stone fruit aromas & flavours from the Cascade & Amarillo hops. Yum! ?

I wish Coopers had made this their commercial "Session Ale".

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty! I used to be pretty scared of esters but now I am like, "crank the temp and let the good esters roll!" I am currently brewing a lil NEIPA type ale, it will be around 4% alcohol with A04 Barbarian Yeast, it is said to have some crazy esters going for it, but I am going to do this one at about 18c and then let the temp rise after day 3 or 4 depending on the sample reading. I will harvest some yeast and the next batch I will ferment at 22c or so.

The fruit salad looks like a good recipe. I don't know about steeping in just water though?! I know water gets the best hop utilization but doesn't it also give off harshness or astringency issues? Why not just steep in malt and water?

Norris

5 hours ago, Bazzak said:

Hey Guys!

First time back in probably 3.5 years. Went through a divorce and house sale etc and was unable / uninterested in brewing, but I am back on track!

Figured I'd start out basic and test out my fermenting rig (got a manually built BrewPi fridge) wanted to make sure my cleaning / sanitising, and equipment were all still doing what they should, also brewing in a different environment so needed to test that too.

I am doing a basic NZ Hop Slam IPA with TC IPA, LDM and a bucket load of Motueka, a faithful (albeit basic) recipe to get me going and make sure I remember everything.

It's day 6 now and the BrewPI out in the shed is doing a great job of maintain a nice stable temp, even with the cold weather. The dry hops went in yesterday. Looking forward to having a taste.

Next task is to build a new keg fridge as the old one died right before moving!

Cheers guys

Adam

Welcome Back,

Think your the first I have seen that is using as brew pi, was using my pi with a few probes to keep track of temps, but was manually cooling with 2l pet bottles of ice.  Sure do love this cold winter days in Perth ?

Tristan

Well this month will be my biggest back to back brew weekends, 6 brews 5 weeks.

Pilsner ~2-3 weeks : Plan to Keg
Cat Piss (for the oldman) ~2 weeks : Plan to Bottle
APA ~2-3 weeks : Plan to Keg
IPA ~2-3 weeks : Plan to Keg

Hard Ginger Ale - Never brewed one : Plan to Bottle
Hard Saspy ~4 weeks : Plan to Bottle

So that my kind of what I will be doing over the next 4-5 weeks, but will score some home made whiskey and gin for me troubles ;D

Tristan

Hey Norris,

Saspy Recipe

Ingredients

·                  6 lbs dark lme

·                  1 lb lactose

·                  1 lb amber dme

·                  4 oz root beer extract

·                  1 oz haulertau hops

·                  5 gallons water

·                  6 grams splenda

·                  1 packet safe ale us05

·                  3/4 cup corn sugar

Steps

1.                Bring 2.5 galons water to the boil

2.                Stir in the liquid malt

3.                Return to the boil

4.                At the hot break add hops and amber dme

5.                Boil for 60 min

6.                15 before flame out add the lactose (Stir constantly)

7.                At 60 min chill the wort to 100 degrees F as fast as possible

8.                Add wort to fermenter

9.                Top up with water to 5 gallons

10.            Pitch the yeast at 78 degrees F

11.            Leave for 2 weeks in primary

12.            Rack to clean carboy

13.            Add root beer extract and splenda

14.            Top up to 5 gallon mark again

15.            Leave for another 2 weeks

16.            Prime the batch with 3/4 cup corn sugar

17.            Bottle or keg

18.            Leave for another 2 weeks

Cool in the fridge for at least 3 days

The ginger ale, I'm not sure off there's a few I got ginger in my back yard that I wouldn't mind using.

Tristan

Cheers Tristan! It looks tasty, after I brew this ginger beer I might have to try this. Def on the to do list. I have used sweetener in ciders and it went all right. Something has to be used to back sweeten the batch, but I have read of other methods that seem overly complicated when compared to a packet of splenda.

Archived