Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

Heya Scottie.

What's your view on dry hopping ESB's? Given they're more malt driven & drink better with a little age on them, I don't bother & generally just rely on an addition close to flameout for any late hop derived influence(s).

The only malt driven beers I've made have been a waste of time to dry hop even though I tried a couple to see if it was worthwhile. I'd rather use the addition I might consider to dry hop in these styles of at a point late in the boil or as a flameout addition. That said, I've never found fuggles to be particularly aromatic that i would use it as a dry hop anyways. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're talking traditional pilsners then no since they aren't dry hopped anyway, but it's still a lager. ??

This stupid colder weather is causing the red ale temp to rise more slowly than usual. Only risen a degree since about this time yesterday.  Might have to bung an Erlenmeyer of boiling water in there to bump it up, or maybe it's because the fermentation is nearly over. The hydrometer sample is down a few more points today.

Cheers

Kelsey

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

This stupid colder weather is causing the red ale temp to rise more slowly than usual. Only risen a degree since about this time yesterday.  Might have to bung an Erlenmeyer of boiling water in there to bump it up...

God forbid you might have to consider investing in a heat belt/heat pad like the vast majority of the rest of us. ? ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not likely, it's only cold like this maybe a month or two of the year. Not worth it for that. Easier just to boil some water and put it in there. ?

I look at that smoking avatar of yours & read posts like your last one, & really hate you sometimes....

...always in a good way of course! ?

Cheers & being hopeful of the coldest Brisbane winter on record about to happen. ?

Lusty.

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Heya Scottie.

What's your view on dry hopping ESB's? Given they're more malt driven & drink better with a little age on them, I don't bother & generally just rely on an addition close to flameout for any late hop derived influence(s).

The only malt driven beers I've made have been a waste of time to dry hop even though I tried a couple to see if it was worthwhile. I'd rather use the addition I might consider to dry hop in these styles of at a point late in the boil or as a flameout addition. That said, I've never found fuggles to be particularly aromatic that i would use it as a dry hop anyways. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty

Normally i don't, relying either on FWH or flameout. However this is one EB in a series of three, the first was FWH and the next one will be a traditional EB (I got the recipe of an ex pat at work who tells me it is a great beer). So I am giving this one a small dry hop to try and set it apart from the other two.

FYI the traditional EB that is up next, calculates at 25 IBU on BeerSmith and an OG of 1.046, I will also be mixing up some Burton on Trent strike water.  The recipe calls for  a 10g add if EKG at 15 minutes and a 10g add at 5 minutes. There is a 5g Dry Hop of Fuggles - I don't know why but that's what the recipe calls for (4g actually ). So i am figuring that I'll need to change my Avatar.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

38 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Hey Lusty

Normally i don't, relying either on FWH or flameout. However this is one EB in a series of three, the first was FWH and the next one will be a traditional EB (I got the recipe of an ex pat at work who tells me it is a great beer). So I am giving this one a small dry hop to try and set it apart from the other two.

FYI the traditional EB that is up next, calculates at 25 IBU on BeerSmith and an OG of 1.046, I will also be mixing up some Burton on Trent strike water.  The recipe calls for  a 10g add if EKG at 15 minutes and a 10g add at 5 minutes. There is a 5g Dry Hop of Fuggles - I don't know why but that's what the recipe calls for (4g actually ). So i am figuring that I'll need to change my Avatar.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Cut the avatars head off and you’ll be about right Scottie. 

45 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm gonna put oak chips in this batch of red ale, it's nearly at FG now and I'll be giving it a few days for cleanup before the cold crash. When's the best time to add them?

Cheers

Kelsey

After you’ve soaked them in whiskey for 3 years. 

My understanding is just post fermentation, add for days until desired level of oakyness is reach then keg. 

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Might just chuck them in when I start dropping it for the cold crash then.

Have you got chunks or little chips? I’m sure you know the more end grain the quicker the oak flavours good and bad enter the beer. 

Captain

I guess all I can do is experiment. I'll try 25g, that way I can get four batches out of it and work out the best timeframe for my tastes. Might start with 3 days out from kegging for the first try and increase it with each subsequent brewing of this beer. I feel it's a beer that would suit an oak addition. 

My hot water flask method has brought the temp up by 2 degrees so far, sitting at 20.2 currently. I'll keep doing it over the next few days to keep it up there until it's time to cold crash it. I simply boil it in the morning, stick it in the fridge then repeat at night. It sits on the shelf above the fermenter because that's the only place there's room, but still manages to warm up the fridge inside. The flask is covered in foil to try to prevent steam from making it too humid in there. Maybe throwing some calc chloride in the fridge will help dehumidify it as well, it's worked in the past.

Cheers

Kelsey

I think the key is to give the chips enough contact time with the wort/beer. With the oaked beers I've made I added them right before I pitched the yeast & all have been good. So that's a good 2 weeks worth of contact time.

30gms is a good weight to use for 20-25 litres. I've always thought these would work sensationally in your Red Ale Kelsey.

I hope you enjoy it once it's on the pour.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hmm. Maybe I can throw them in the same time as the dry hop. That'll give them a little over a week in there. Maybe next batch I'll try using them at yeast pitch time and compare. 

I bought these things over a year ago but keep forgetting to put them in one of these brews ?

Cheers

Kelsey

Re dry hopping ESBs... It's pretty common traditionally, but at a fairly moderate rate. If you have access to a copy of Graham Wheeler's Brew Your Own Real Ale At Home, you will find that quite a few recipes in there are lightly dry hopped. It's not going to be a dominant flavour, but will bring a little extra to the beer. 

Cheers, 

John

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

Re dry hopping ESBs... It's pretty common traditionally, but at a fairly moderate rate. If you have access to a copy of Graham Wheeler's Brew Your Own Real Ale At Home, you will find that quite a few recipes in there are lightly dry hopped. It's not going to be a dominant flavour, but will bring a little extra to the beer. 

Cheers, 

John

Hey John

When I replied to Lusty this morning it was from memory. Just now I have checked all 15 of my English Bitter Recipes, as recorded in BeerSmith, and not one of them is Dry Hopped. Six others that I have on Brew Mate also were minus the dry hop. Therefore the 10g of Fuggle that I add to this will be my first ever Dry Hop in an EB.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

1 hour ago, Rowbrew said:

I dry hopped my Throwback IPA earlier today. I just threw them in commando and ill filter them out when i transfer to my bottling bucket probably on Thursday.

Cheers!

Is it tasting alright? I’m really interested in how this one turns out

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hmm. Maybe I can throw them in the same time as the dry hop. That'll give them a little over a week in there. Maybe next batch I'll try using them at yeast pitch time and compare.

I just followed what Chad advised. The contact time becomes an issue with wine so I figure it has some bearing. It might turn out fine the way you are doing it, I just don't know for sure as I haven't tried it for this shorter time length.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Kirk,

Yeah it tastes pretty good. Nice fresh malt taste with a touch of hop bitterness and flavour. Can't wait til its in the glass. Should be less than 3 weeks away so ill surely do a side by side with the OG Throwback and my imposter, and post the results here

Archived