Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

@Tone boy - Toner, firstly the beer looks sensational mate.  And thanks for the feedback on the SP hops. I'll def give it another crack. What was the wort volume and quantity of the dry hop please mate?

Volume 23 litres.
At flameout I added 25g of hallertau mittelfrüh.

Then at FG, at 2 degrees C, I dry hopped 20g of SP for 30 hours.

I would up the SP next time though. There is no harsh hop bite at all, and could use a little more hop flavour to my taste. Plus it’s a lager so I tend to store them for at least 6 weeks before tasting 👍

Note: it wasn’t a coopers lager kit (but I do use their lager kit too) so this one wasn’t bittered with any Australian hops. Just the SP - but you can detect that SP flavour 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Wheat will probably make it more hazy and you don't want that in a nice crisp lager.

That is fair enough @iBooz2 Boozer yep... But from history I have got away with around 10% of wheat (AG) or even 20% in Larger Pilly type beers in the past and then with reasonable cold crash, some fishguts finings and a good Lagering period...  had a lovely result even with the wheat involved.

These days with a Bag of Wey Carapils on hand - have had good results with that too without any Wheat involved... though with zero Whirlfloc, less focus on CC with timing issues and less lagering... have had cloudy beer issues even without the Wheat...

The joys and complexities of brewing ; )

@Tone boy Toner I would tend to agree with festive Boozer that cranking up the level of magnificent Wey Carapils should tend to assist with head-head retention-creamy mouthfeel too : )

And I do agree with @iBooz2 Boozer and @kmar92 KMar that if chasing a Larger-Pilly style then having a nice crystal clear beer is something very nice... and shock-horror one day I may even have to try the dreaded poly-pipe @Otto Von Blotto and @Aussiekraut seem to get good results from on the quest for clear beer 😆

Cheers all, good brewing and aveagoodweegend ; )

Edited by Pezzza
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pezzza said:

That is fair enough @iBooz2 Boozer yep... But from history I have got away with around 10% of wheat (AG) or even 20% in Larger Pilly type beers in the past and then with reasonable cold crash, some fishguts finings and a good Lagering period...  had a lovely result even with the wheat involved.

These days with a Bag of Wey Carapils on hand - have had good results with that too without any Wheat involved... though with zero Whirlfloc, less focus on CC with timing issues and less lagering... have had cloudy beer issues even without the Wheat...

The joys and complexities of brewing ; )

@Tone boy Toner I would tend to agree with festive Boozer that cranking up the level of magnificent Wey Carapils should tend to assist with head-head retention-creamy mouthfeel too : )

And I do agree with @iBooz2 Boozer and @kmar92 KMar that if chasing a Larger-Pilly style then having a nice crystal clear beer is something very nice... and shock-horror one day I may even have to try the dreaded poly-pipe @Otto Von Blotto and @Aussiekraut seem to get good results from on the quest for clear beer 😆

Cheers all, good brewing and aveagoodweegend ; )

Yeah, I use Polyclar as finings, usually a day after starting the cold crash. I don't see much point in dark beers or if I make a beer that is supposed to be cloudy though. Pales or lagers definitely. 

I also use ClarityFerm but mainly to lower the gluten content but since it only works for barley, there isn't any point in using it for beers containing wheat for example. Although it also clears up beers as it drops certain proteins that cause haze. 

I find the best results involve whirlfloc, ground up plastic aka Polyclar and a few weeks of cold storage. 2-3 for ales and 4-8 for lagers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I use Polyclar as finings, usually a day after starting the cold crash.

Thanks @Aussiekraut beautiful.

Yes mate I think I need to do the whole kit and caboodle... get back to throwing in some lovely aussie Whirlfloc... and then cold crashing properly...  and then time in Keg yep. 

One thing that does distress me is the yeast coming off that little ledge over the tap on the Coopers Plazzi FVs... which then sees the yeast go into the Keg... even after excellent clarification via extended cold-crashing.

So am wondering whether keg-finings would be a better option... only thing I guess of doing it all in the FV is that the polypipe would stay in the sludge on the bottom of the FV and not be in the keg which would I think be preferable for me... 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Thanks @Aussiekraut beautiful.

Yes mate I think I need to do the whole kit and caboodle... get back to throwing in some lovely aussie Whirlfloc... and then cold crashing properly...  and then time in Keg yep. 

One thing that does distress me is the yeast coming off that little ledge over the tap on the Coopers Plazzi FVs... which then sees the yeast go into the Keg... even after excellent clarification via extended cold-crashing.

So am wondering whether keg-finings would be a better option... only thing I guess of doing it all in the FV is that the polypipe would stay in the sludge on the bottom of the FV and not be in the keg which would I think be preferable for me... 

I use Whrilfloc in all of my all grain brews.

For any beer I want clear, I

• Cold crash for 24 hours
  • Add liquid Isinglass after the first 24 hours, and at that time I give the FV a bit of a jiggle to try to dislodge as much yeast off the Coopers tap ledge as possible
  • After another 24 hours cold crashing I add Polyclar, and give the FV another jiggle
  • Sometimes I give the FV another jiggle 24 hours after the Polyclar addition
  • Either way, I leave the FV for at least two days after the Polyclar

Seems to work fairly well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, beach_life said:

I find there is improvement overtime with kegged beers, then it drops

yeah I knew that with lagers, I thought hoppy beers were opposite. But yesterday was only 2nd day in keg and bit under carbonated. Was just wondering if extra fizz today was helping hop flavour.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

The Wheaten Ale... defying all logic... this Wheat-heavy Ale 35% Voyager Winter Wheat (significant amount of Munich Malt as well hence the Amber) is now quite clear despite my lack of effort on the clarification front... though it did sit in the Fermenter in the Larder at high teens low 20s for quite a long time as I was away over Christmas so maybe that helped? 

But here... no festive Whirlfloc or anything thereafter and no cold crash whatsoever... kegged from ambient... 

Brewing is a complex game and at times may seem to defy all logic I guess hey...  👍

image.thumb.png.bbf48285b7e78b81c25ed0c03445621c.png

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

The Wheaten Ale... defying all logic... this Wheat-heavy Ale 35% Voyager Winter Wheat (significant amount of Munich Malt as well hence the Amber) is now quite clear despite my lack of effort on the clarification front... though it did sit in the Fermenter in the Larder at high teens low 20s for quite a long time as I was away over Christmas so maybe that helped? 

But here... no festive Whirlfloc or anything thereafter and no cold crash whatsoever... kegged from ambient... 

Brewing is a complex game and at times may seem to defy all logic I guess hey...  👍

image.thumb.png.bbf48285b7e78b81c25ed0c03445621c.png

Looks nice Pezza.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pezzza said:

These days with a Bag of Wey Carapils on hand - have had good results with that too without any Wheat involved.

Yep I buy the Carapils by the 25 kg bag now and nearly every brew has some in it, except for the ales with 250 g of wheat or more of course.  I think I must have missed putting in the 500 g on the last double batch of LL which I have just finished drinking as the head retention on that 44 L was terrible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

head retention

Cheers @iBooz2 Boozer mate yeah I have used the Wheat malted grain in earlier times with  all sorts of Brews...  with great results.

And bizarrely with the latest Wheaten Ale... perfectly clear... 

And would strongly recommend new Brewers ro try using their normal Coopers Kit  and then add a an of Coops Wheat malt as well as to whatever they are doing : )

• Like 6

On 1/12/2023 at 7:23 PM, stquinto said:

Maybe I should write to Guinness and ask why 🤔

Guinness 1.JPG

Or you could just ask @Oldbloke , he would say to use bleach.  (did anyone notice what I did just then?)  ha ha ROFL..

No emoji's as apparently they have been the victims of wage theft and are refusing to work.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Cheers @iBooz2 Boozer mate yeah I have used the Wheat malted grain in earlier times with  all sorts of Brews...  with great results.

And bizarrely with the latest Wheaten Ale... perfectly clear... 

And would strongly recommend new Brewers ro try using their normal Coopers Kit  and then add a an of Coops Wheat malt as well as to whatever they are doing : )

Yep I agree, any brewers that are doing K&K should try the Wheat malt tin as an addition if they don't or cannot do a mini mash or steep.  The Coopers Wheat malt tin is a savior in those circumstances because it works well.

• Like 6

@iBooz2 @Pezzza yeah u can't go wrong with a can of liquid wheat malt if brewing kits and bits. 

Some were the clearest beers i made and others where more cloudy as booza said can lead to haze. 

What leads to each scenario I can't say as they all end up different.  As long as it taste good 👍🏿 

I really like a can of wheat malt with the Aus Pale Ale tin and some hops. The lagers have been hit and miss. I done sightly different things each time. 

I have some Euro Lager and Aus Pale tins to use up now brewing FWK.  And some malt for partial mash. Pouring in FWK has made me lazy but I need to use these up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Or you could just ask @Oldbloke , he would say to use bleach.  (did anyone notice what I did just then?)  ha ha ROFL..

No emoji's as apparently they have been the victims of wage theft and are refusing to work.

Well, my last stout came out with a tan head & very nice I must say. But I would like a nice white head  so,,,going to double the amount of bleach and use nappy San too.  It's sure to be white then. 🤣  😉

• Haha 6