Aussiekraut

On 1/11/2023 at 8:35 AM, stquinto said:

it’s a lot darker.

That's a saison?
Amber saisons are good, as is a Biere De Garde

edit:yes it is, just saw the squintaa's post

Edited by beach_life
  • Like 4

Getting stuck into a partial mash Lager. 
Lager kit, ale malt, Munich and carapils. Dubya providing a nice clean ferment. 
Promised to provide feedback to @Mickep (I think it was, Mick?) as this one was dry hopped with Superpride - 1 day at 2 degrees C. 

Mick I think you had a bad experience with harsh flavors from SP?

No harsh bitterness at all, very tasty and very smooth bitterness. Not huge hop flavour but a familiar hop presence known to us Aussies. Head is a bit sad though.

9CA07210-A9FC-4C4C-8BD5-20CB28BBBA16.thumb.jpeg.47b48ef9251f5a280fd0cadec43be7ed.jpeg

• Like 8

@Tone boy how much super pride did you dry hop? Never used super pride but POR a few times as a steep. I also found it was not much of a flavour hop to my liking.

I can't recall and commercial beer where i could taste a late addition or flavour like that. 

Yet i read the post between @iBooz2 and @Shamus O'Sean I think where exchanged versions of Coopers Pale clone? Definatly ibooze had large late addition and thought close to style. 

So maby it was there and didn't notice it. 

I know I done vb clone once with morgans aus bitter as partial mash and extra LDM. 20 gram steep 10 mins of POR and was not blended in or ok until after 6 to 8 weeks in keg. 

Just for my personal taste vs other hops but see lots on here use as late addition or dry hop a fair bit.

• Like 4

On 1/11/2023 at 7:36 AM, Pezzza said:

Is the Guinless in County Donegal pretty white-white-white on top then?

It certainly is Pezza mate ! Weird: in Ireland it's white and creamy but even in the UK it's more of a tan colour. Maybe I should write to Guinness and ask why 🤔

Having said that the light must have something to do with it as you can see from the photos. But it is whiter in old Oireland, honest 🤣

Guinness 1.JPG

Guinness 2.jpg

Guinness 3.jpg

• Like 6

Kegland FWK lager base brewed as ale with Verdant IPA. Just 2 days in keg only dry hopped keg for just over 24 hours. Needs more carbonation although head is ok in this glass.

Not feeling the flavour for 20/20 steep as a tea brew day Cascade and Amarillo.

50 gram dry hop in keg 25 each Cascade and Amarillo, Should have left it 2 days.

It's nice but am thinking would have got more out of dry hoping at ambient, before cold crash? Or extra time in keg in hop tube would have given same result? 

I have brewed so many Lagers lately and not always provided good feedback in my note book. The ones I did said less amounts was fantastic.

So maby i have just become immune to hop flavour and need more? Or after so many Lagers expectations too high? Still.a good drop and will let it carb more and enjoy it in coming weeks.

20230112_201813.jpg

20230112_201757.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Head is a bit sad though.

Same again - but as well as - not instead of - as well as - add a tin of Coopers liquid Wheat Malt Extract maybe? @Tone boy

Reckon that will add ooomph re head, heat retention and cream mouthfeel.... maybe... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yet i read the post between @iBooz2 and @Shamus O'Sean I think where exchanged versions of Coopers Pale clone? Definatly ibooze had large late addition and thought close to style. 

Yeah.  In a 27 litre batch I had about 22g of PoR at 60 minutes and 18g at 5 minutes.  I started cooling to fermenting temperature immediately.  IBooz2 cubed his, so I think he used less PoR because it keeps bittering in the cube.

My version did not have the same fruity note that the commercial version did.  My next batch (this weekend), I will move the late addition to an aroma/flavour addition at 80°C.  I hope to get more fruity notes from this addition than a 5 minutes to go boil addition.  Coopers may not do it this way, but I thought I would give it a try.

• Like 5

@Shamus O'Sean it's been a while since I tried it but wouldn't say it was fruity. Maby I need to try again but it's almost different to any hop i have ever tried.

I remember I tried it because was an aussie hop but even after 2 months in keg I wasn't convinced it was an late addition hop. 

Not for me anyway maby I have done it wrong or just not my thing. I even think ibooze Leigh lager can contain a 30 gram late addition? 

Maby there is a big difference between all grain and a kit brew with late hops and how they blend?

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean it's been a while since I tried it but wouldn't say it was fruity. Maby I need to try again but it's almost different to any hop i have ever tried.

I remember I tried it because was an aussie hop but even after 2 months in keg I wasn't convinced it was an late addition hop. 

Not for me anyway maby I have done it wrong or just not my thing. I even think ibooze Leigh lager can contain a 30 gram late addition? 

Maby there is a big difference between all grain and a kit brew with late hops and how they blend?

Yes, I do wonder if I can get the fruit note I tasted in the commercial COPA by using another hop other than PoR.  Sorachi Ace, which has a love-hate relationship with some brewers, has a pronounced citrus flavour in my Rice Lagers.  A dash of it might hit the spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yeah.  In a 27 litre batch I had about 22g of PoR at 60 minutes and 18g at 5 minutes.  I started cooling to fermenting temperature immediately.  IBooz2 cubed his, so I think he used less PoR because it keeps bittering in the cube.

My version did not have the same fruity note that the commercial version did.  My next batch (this weekend), I will move the late addition to an aroma/flavour addition at 80°C.  I hope to get more fruity notes from this addition than a 5 minutes to go boil addition.  Coopers may not do it this way, but I thought I would give it a try.

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

After a hard day replacing bearings on my boat trailer (well one side anyway) I then had to cook dinner for the HSSH which was a chicken chow mien so once dishes were done I decided to hit the beers. 

Polished off 6 x 345 ml stubbies of my COPA which were bottled back mid-October and as I had no more cold stubbies of my version then decided to move onto some cold Cooper’s commercial pale ale.  Note the Coopers original bottles were not rolled to distribute yeast as I know yeast gives me gout.

Now after drinking 6 of mine and a couple of Coopers I can definitely say the Coopers original is a thinner beer and slightly more hoppy.  Not in a spicy way and possibly not in a fruity way either.  There is a balance to it which could be from a dry hop but in saying that they probably use PoR concentrate so its going to be hard to copy.

Only way I think is to up the late additions/whirlpool or a dry hop of PoR maybe, time will tell.

Just waiting on a couple more bags of CPPM so I can get more COPA’s brewed and into the kegs.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Head is a bit sad though.

2 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Same again - but as well as - not instead of - as well as - add a tin of Coopers liquid Wheat Malt Extract maybe? @Tone boy

Reckon that will add ooomph re head, heat retention and cream mouthfeel.... maybe... 

IMO you don't want to add wheat malt you your lager brews.  Just up the Carapils @Tone boy say 1.5 times more or even 2.0 times more and it works well in a partial mash with other grains to get enzymes working.  It should not alter the flavour of the beer.  Wheat will probably make it more hazy and you don't want that in a nice crisp lager.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Promised to provide feedback to @Mickep (I think it was, Mick?) as this one was dry hopped with Superpride - 1 day at 2 degrees C. 

Mick I think you had a bad experience with harsh flavors from SP?

No harsh bitterness at all, very tasty and very smooth bitterness. Not huge hop flavour but a familiar hop presence known to us Aussies. Head is a bit sad though.

9CA07210-A9FC-4C4C-8BD5-20CB28BBBA16.thumb.jpeg.47b48ef9251f5a280fd0cadec43be7ed.jpeg

@Tone boy - Toner, firstly the beer looks sensational mate.  And thanks for the feedback on the SP hops. I'll def give it another crack. What was the wort volume and quantity of the dry hop please mate?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

how much super pride did you dry hop?

Only 20g. I went light b/c Mick (sorry if I have this wrong Mick) had reported harsh flavour. I also dry hopped cold. 
This was bottled at the end of November last year

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Yep that would probably resolve any head retention issues Pezza - absolutely on board with that. I do like what partial mashing brings to the table though; so I tend to go that way instead of the can of goop. I like the process of mashing as well and the flavour control it gives me - this one had some added Munich and carapils.
This lager had 1.5 kg of grain in it though, which usually does the trick (head wise). I don’t think the glass was the issue, but there are so many variables in brewing to pinpoint one particular cause of the dreaded dead head I reckon. Other similar lager batches have not had this issue…

Greatly value your advice though Pez, and definitely on the money as usual 🍻👍

• Like 5