Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

@Shamus O'Sean , I had another taste test of my CSA kegged 12/11/2022 and it still has not cleared up as I would have expected by now.  Maybe too much trub as it was the second dirty batch on the whole CCA yeast from two previous COPA's.  Taste is too malty so hop balance is a tad out and of course the 5.8 % ABV is a one glass only per night for me.  Be interested in how your batch turns out.

I have another keg of CSA which was kegged on 16/12/2022 from a different fermenter (one was ambient and one was fridge controlled), cannot remember which one was which until further digging into data file on another computer.  That could be the difference too.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Shamus O'Sean , I had another taste test of my CSA kegged 12/11/2022 and it still has not cleared up as I would have expected by now.  Maybe too much trub as it was the second dirty batch on the whole CCA yeast from two previous COPA's.  Taste is too malty so hop balance is a tad out and of course the 5.8 % ABV is a one glass only per night for me.  Be interested in how your batch turns out.

I have another keg of CSA which was kegged on 16/12/2022 from a different fermenter (one was ambient and one was fridge controlled), cannot remember which one was which until further digging into data file on another computer.  That could be the difference too.

Although my CSA is kegged, there is no space in the kegerator for around 2 weeks.  Once it is up and pouring, I will give an update.

I mostly followed your recipe, so mine might taste very similar to yours.  The main difference was I fast chilled on brew day rather than hot cubed.  Plus I added a pinch of Brown Malt to get to 11 EBC.

I did notice that the COPA can has good detail about its ingredients and brewing parameters.  Therefore, I imagine that the CSA can will have similar detail.  It should say if it uses Pale Malt or Ale Malt.

• Like 4

VYL 

That Very Yummy Larger... 🥳

But could also be called BFB... Bad Feeling Beer...  or even Doom Brew 💀

Because the fact that it is sooo good... means that the Keg is about to blow 😢😢😢

But then also that might be a good thing too as then I can get my brew fridge back : )

Cheers All 🍺

image.thumb.png.48be4e868f34c386b442c1a7507854ad.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

So have to use same fridge to brew and serve? That would make hard for production 

Cheers @Uhtred Of Beddanburg thanks mate good question!

It was more a inventory matter regarding cold keg space... the Keg Freezer with 6 bigs and 2 non-alc smalls was full... and after a spate of successful backfill brews in a row, over the last few months, well production was up -- which was great... 

But then I had an "overflow" of 2 large kegs that needed somewhere and so they had to go into the Brew Fridge Space...  👍

So I put those with less vol into the BF and thankfully order is soon to be restored with some conscientious consumption 🥳

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Cheers @Uhtred Of Beddanburg thanks mate good question!

It was more a inventory matter regarding cold keg space... the Keg Freezer with 6 bigs and 2 non-alc smalls was full... and after a spate of successful backfill brews in a row, over the last few months, well production was up -- which was great... 

But then I had an "overflow" of 2 large kegs that needed somewhere and so they had to go into the Brew Fridge Space...  👍

So I put those with less vol into the BF and thankfully order is soon to be restored with some conscientious consumption 🥳

Thats good that you have back up stock then. I have had to do this a few times recently.

Lucky I have 2 brew fridges but one struggles in the heat. Think it needs a new seal or a bit of glue on old seal.

I sometimes like variety so drink 2 different beers at once but the downside is? 2 kegs blow around same time. So one minute have overflow keg in brew fridge. Then if I have a few sneaky taste test with pluto gun. Next thing I know Keggerator is half empty and half a keg in brew fridge.

If Keggerator dies ill have to get a keezer myself I think having 6 in same chamber sounds good.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

That's a great looking Guinness

Are you happy with the taste and the way it pours?

Cheers David 👍

Pretty happy with it - the addition of the lactic acid gives it a nice Guinness tang. It seems to be pouring better too. But as @kmar92 amd @Mickep pointed out, the white head that’s missing might come from the light in the photo. But hey, close enough…. 
Would cost me nigh on AU$15 a pint in a pub here, in Donegal more like AU$6. Mine more like 75 cents 🤭

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, stquinto said:

the white head

You've made me think a little further about this @stquinto Sainter...

Now I haven't done a Stouty boy in a little while... other nitros but not the pure black... anyway... here is one from some time ago... and the head there is not so white either.... 

From memory non-pure-white-foam didn't seem, however, to detrimentally affect the pleasurable experience I would like to suggest 🥳

Might hafta put a Stout back on the list... think in the past that I had been using more Carafaa III and Chocs and less Roasted Barley which might drive a bit more of a Tan type colour?

Is the Guinless in County Donegal pretty white-white-white on top then?

(Haven't had a Pint o' Guinless in a RubblyDub for a while...)

image.thumb.png.ba8eaeba57487965b819d03cf8de3020.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Cheers David 👍

Pretty happy with it - the addition of the lactic acid gives it a nice Guinness tang. It seems to be pouring better too. But as @kmar92 amd @Mickep pointed out, the white head that’s missing might come from the light in the photo. But hey, close enough…. 
Would cost me nigh on AU$15 a pint in a pub here, in Donegal more like AU$6. Mine more like 75 cents 🤭

Fantastic, I had one today after Golf, it's not much different looking to Yours.

Just gone up.. costing me $11.40 Au a pint.

Well Done🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1