Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

30 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@Pale Man Keg Land have one for $250, I’d assume fairly easy to install.

Are we allowed to post links to stuff like that, if coopers don’t actually sell it? Quick search of reverse osmosis on keg land’s site and you’ll find it though.

bunnings also do them for a few different prices for different models.

People post links to that sort of thing from time to time. AFAIK there's no issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Whats the rough cost of an RO system and are they easy to fit?

The model I have, a 5 stage unit I bought on ebay, are c.$230 and are pretty easy to install. The KL units are a 3 stage filter, so they differ from mine in they have 1 less RO pre-filter and 1 less post RO filter.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

@kmar92 out of curiosity, how often do you have to replace the filters on your RO unit? Do you have to do all filters at the same time? Is it on a Literage or time basis?

I usually replace the 3 pre-RO filters between 6-12 months, the RO filter I replace 18-24 months. The pre-RO filters do the heavy work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Rye-Rish Red Ale

• Light toffee aroma
  • Nice rich blend of flavours, mostly malty and mild caramel
  • Good bitterness
  • Very good brew this one

IMG_4006.JPG.44a6f1346daed076b34ae17817c87ba2.JPG

What does the rye contribute to the flavour/aroma/body Shamus? I note you only used a relatively small but intriguingly precise amount (235g).

15 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Whats the rough cost of an RO system and are they easy to fit?

if your not wanting to muck around to much   with water treatment to much as RO water is basicly giving you Blank start   
, RO wont remove everything  but its pretty close

if ya only looking at just getting rid of chloromine   and chlorine   then just a caravan filter  will do the job   something like a Puretec cr20

image.jpeg.de4e96a4d816844fecfb707581bc4c95.jpeg

these are not expensive to buy   and will rid the chlorine and chlorine   
the good thing is  with this model  its bio-directional meaning doesnt matter which way you run the water the filter will still do its job.  just  when you 1st run the tap just let it run for a couple of litres just to get rid of dust sediment etc thats built up since last use  thats what i do , then i use the excess water   over the garden   

the filter i have shown will  be good for extract brewers as well  specially when they are topping up  there fermenters.

having said that RO    i would only go down this path if your  looking at  using brewing Salts and trying  get your water profile close to the style  of beer  .

anyway  something to think about

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

What does the rye contribute to the flavour/aroma/body Shamus? I note you only used a relatively small but intriguingly precise amount (235g).

Hey Kegory, I cannot taste what the Rye adds.  Perhaps if I had a side-by-side taste test of one with Rye and one without, I could pick the difference.

Rye is supposed to add smoother mouthfeel and spicy notes with some pepperiness.  It is definitely a nice full flavoured beer, but that could be from the other grains in the recipe as much as the Rye.

No special secret with the amount, it was just what I had left from a 1kg bag.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ozdevil said:

if your not wanting to muck around to much   with water treatment to much as RO water is basicly giving you Blank start   

if ya only looking at just getting rid of chloromine   and chlorine   then just a caravan filter  will do the job   something like a Puretec cr20

the good thing is  with this model  its bio-directional meaning doesnt matter which way you run the water the filter will still do its job.  just  when you 1st run the tap just let it run for a couple of litres just to get rid of dust sediment etc thats built up since last use  thats what i do , then i use the excess water   over the garden   

the filter i have shown will  be good for extract brewers as well  specially when they are topping up  there fermenters.

having said that RO    i would only go down this path if your  looking at  using brewing Salts and trying  get your water profile close to the style  of beer  .

Cheers OD I forgot about the caravan filter option

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 5:47 AM, ozdevil said:

+1 to the caravan filter I use one and it’s great! The water in Perth smells like pool water but not after I run it through the filter 💦 

• Like 3

On 11/5/2023 at 6:01 PM, NBillett09 said:

Are we allowed to post links to stuff like that, if coopers don’t actually sell it?

Yes, that's quite OK. As long as you're not actively promoting a business on a regular basis, there's nothing wrong with providing links to products under discussion, and as you say, it isn't a direct competitor to one of ours.  Cheers, Frank.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Yes, that's quite OK. As long as you're not actively promoting a business on a regular basis, there's nothing wrong with providing links to products under discussion, and as you say, it isn't a direct competitor to one of ours.  Cheers, Frank.

You're up early today, Frank.

@Pale Man @NBillett09 @Kegory @kmar92 @ozdevil @RDT2

I'm not sure if this is of interest to any of you but in Adelaide is a company called Puratap (www.puratap.com.au).

They install and maintain water filters and taps. I've had one in the kitchen for about 10 years. The water is so good my daughter prefers it to bottled water. That's high praise because she's very fussy.

Every year they call me and replace the filters for about $80. A few months ago due to the age of the system they replaced the lot for $184 - tap, filters, barrels and piping. Labour included. There wasn't anything wrong with the old system, by the way, but it's nice to have a new tap and know the plumbing is clean and fresh.

Now this might not be good to any of you if you live outside of the Adelaide metro area but I read on their website they can post systems to other areas and you can do your own install. It might be worth checking out because it seems less expensive than these RO things you guys have been discussing.

Photos show a separate Puratap on the right. They also do integrated all in one mixers. These are a bit more in price. Second photo shows the under bench filter barrels.

Word of warning: I believe their filters are not compatible with other brands of filters. It's how they can protect their business and offer good pricing. A bit like Apple do with iPhone accessories etc. 

IMG_20231108_092943.jpg

IMG_20231108_092917.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

I'm lucky enough to work tradesman's hours Kegory (7.00 - 3.30), but for the next few weeks I'm covering for Abby while she takes a very well earned break, so I'm starting an hour or so early to keep up.  

You're a trooper 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Pacific Pale Ale FWK, nice on a warmish day. 

IMG_4641.jpeg

Love the glass 🙂 

Maiden are coming next September but I think I have 189 reasons times two not to go, unfortunately. Currently, my pain threshold is $150 for concert tickets. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

I'm not sure if this is of interest to any of you but in Adelaide is a company called Puratap (www.puratap.com.au).

They install and maintain water filters and taps. I've had one in the kitchen for about 10 years. The water is so good my daughter prefers it to bottled water. That's high praise because she's very fussy.

Every year they call me and replace the filters for about $80. A few months ago due to the age of the system they replaced the lot for $184 - tap, filters, barrels and piping. Labour included. There wasn't anything wrong with the old system, by the way, but it's nice to have a new tap and know the plumbing is clean and fresh.

Now this might not be good to any of you if you live outside of the Adelaide metro area but I read on their website they can post systems to other areas and you can do your own install. It might be worth checking out because it seems less expensive than these RO things you guys have been discussing.

Photos show a separate Puratap on the right. They also do integrated all in one mixers. These are a bit more in price. Second photo shows the under bench filter barrels.

Word of warning: I believe their filters are not compatible with other brands of filters. It's how they can protect their business and offer good pricing. A bit like Apple do with iPhone accessories etc. 

IMG_20231108_092943.jpg

IMG_20231108_092917.jpg

puratap  i wont knock them , they will work 

the reason  many  want to go down the path of RO water  is they water to create their own water profile  for their brewing or they may want try to replicate   the same water  that a perticular brewery uses   to add salts   or take out salts to match  the brew .

i think  for extract  brewer and the average all grainer  that  doesnt want to muck around with water profiles to much    the caravan filters or  a puratap filter providing they extract the cholomine and chloride out   are  sufficent    for brewing    but if wanting to play around with water profiles then its worth the cost of a RO water  or  distilling water    and adding your own salts 

@Malter White  do you use the Puratap  for your extract  brewing and have you tested this with  a brew that has been done with normal  tap water     to see what difference it has made?    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Malter White said:

IMG_20231108_092943.jpg

IMG_20231108_092917.jpg

Same as ours, been using it for brew water for years with no problems 🤗

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

puratap  i wont knock them , they will work 

the reason  many  want to go down the path of RO water  is they water to create their own water profile  for their brewing or they may want try to replicate   the same water  that a perticular brewery uses   to add salts   or take out salts to match  the brew .

i think  for extract  brewer and the average all grainer  that  doesnt want to muck around with water profiles to much    the caravan filters or  a puratap filter providing they extract the cholomine and chloride out   are  sufficent    for brewing    but if wanting to play around with water profiles then its worth the cost of a RO water  or  distilling water    and adding your own salts 

@Malter White  do you use the Puratap  for your extract  brewing and have you tested this with  a brew that has been done with normal  tap water     to see what difference it has made?    

I have been using the same system for years, they make a difference. For AG brews I fill a couple of fermenter with the puratap water & leave them uncoverd in the laundry overnight & this improves the flavour immensely. 

• Like 3