Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

Tuesday's Taste Test Challenge: 013, Irish Red Ale, bottled 22/10/23, conditioned 22 days, vs Kilkenny Irish Ale.

IMG_20231121_194053753.thumb.jpg.4934b0a0508eeabcd4bfe47e7f083733.jpg

013 is slightly redder, Kilkenny slightly browned when held up to a light but they are pretty close. Kilkenny has a creamy, long lasting head but it has a nitrogen widget in the can. 013 has a decent head.

Kilkenny has a malty, slightly toffee aroma. 013 has a similar but somewhat fresher aroma. I put that down to the carbonation: 013 is has a nice carbonation but Kilkenny has already spent the nitrogen.

Kilkenny tastes creamy, malty and has a subtle toffee character with a mild bitterness. 013 has a similar malty with a hint of toffee flavour but with a little more bitterness and carbonation.

The biggest differences between the two are the creaminess vs the carbonation and a small difference in bitterness (don't ask me how many IBU's, I couldn't say). If I were to change anything about 013 I'd give it a little more body, not a lot. A bit of maltodextrin, I think, would go a long way. It will be interesting to see how it goes as it ages, it's still quite young.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

First taste of All In Brewing IPA FWK. I did a big dry hop with Superdelic and Cascade. It's definitely too young to drink considering nearly 100 grams of hops added 5 days into fermentation. From memory I think I added some Cashmere.

She's a big big beer. Closer to a NEIPA. Very bloody tasty. But at four days in the keg needs to settle a bit. That's not going to happen this is delicious.

20231121_181729.jpg

That's a good head four only 4 days do you force carbonate and if so what psi and for how long?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

First taste of All In Brewing IPA FWK. I did a big dry hop with Superdelic and Cascade. It's definitely too young to drink considering nearly 100 grams of hops added 5 days into fermentation. From memory I think I added some Cashmere.

She's a big big beer. Closer to a NEIPA. Very bloody tasty. But at four days in the keg needs to settle a bit. That's not going to happen this is delicious.

20231121_181729.jpg

That looks great Paley, that looks like it will give you wings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Coopers Barley Crush

bottled on 30/3/23, so aged 241 days so far. 9.9% bottled so probly 10.4ish?

This is supposed to be a celebration brew for moving into our new house. Long frustrating story short, we have not yet moved in but I am aware that the brews don’t have a long life in the PET bottles.

This is super rich, dark brown with deep aroma and flavour of raisins, dark fruit, a bit of brown sugary sweetness, a lot of similarities to fruit cake, port or fortified wine. In fact it seems a bit like a beer version of just that! 😅 Just an average kitchen glass, so lack of head could be partly that partly the brew not quite holding more carbonation as the bottle wasn’t super firm. Regardless it’s quite nice as an after dinner sipper. I reckon this would be really nice in a keg, possibly even on nitro if that could be done?

IMG_5651.jpeg

• Like 8

Today I'm doing a different kind of taste test: I'm only looking for one thing, signs of oxidization.

These are the last two bottles of 001, Coopers Pale Ale, bottled 6/5/23. Behind them, to wash it down, is the last of my Coopers Brewery Pale Ale old (reusable) long neck bottles.

IMG_20231128_193233865.thumb.jpg.5d5277359dbe7897cf95d106adc7b40f.jpg

PET is said to allow oxygen ingress, and oxidization is said to take time to make itself apparent, depending on the amount of hops in the brew, so at over 6 months old enough time should have elapsed. However, this brew had a strong off-flavour which, to protect sensitive ears (or, eyes, as the case may be), I won't mention here but which I suspect may mask the oxidization effects. Oxidization, according to what I have read in a number of sources, in print and online, makes a beer taste stale or cardboardy.

There is no difference in the colour of the beers. The one from the glass bottle has a slightly bigger head but it was also (deliberately, exbeerimentally) over carbonated.

The one from the glass bottle has a stronger aroma but that may just be due to its higher carbonation level. Now for the main test, the taste.

First, I must say, the original off-flavour (which can't be named) has faded a lot but is still quite clearly present. Oxidization? No, I can't taste any cardboard or staleness. However, the one from the glass bottle does have a bit more flavour than the one from the PET bottle.

I'm calling it encouraging but not conclusive. More oxidization taste test are required so strap yourselves in but don't hold your breath. I'll give the 002 PET bottle more time to spoil itself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

my first brew in along time  it was only fresh wort kit    but just needed something on tap.

very young  with a fair amount of hop burn going on and not carbonated yet 

but while it has the characteristics of what i wanted  but is rather watery,  yes my fault  i made it to 22 litres  instead of 19  only becuase i like a ull keg and you lose to the  trube at the bottom of fermenter..

having said that though  its nice  drop    and finished alot lighter then expected with abv  finish 4.5%   for a beer that should be atleast 5.5%

it was a grain and grape colab beer with hop nation ,  i have got the recipe  in brewfather now  to make to 23 litres  and the style of beer is a hop nation xpa.

I always sample the beer at every stage  and every couple of days during carbonation as well to see how it is all going and for taste.

this beer is not carbonate hence no  head  to it  and was straight from the fermenter   

20231126_083316.thumb.jpg.71c3ebd6721b04061f58d4ecd793529a.jpg

• Like 9

On 11/29/2023 at 6:13 PM, ozdevil said:

my first brew in along time  it was only fresh wort kit    but just needed something on tap.

very young  with a fair amount of hop burn going on and not carbonated yet 

but while it has the characteristics of what i wanted  but is rather watery,  yes my fault  i made it to 22 litres  instead of 19  only becuase i like a ull keg and you lose to the  trube at the bottom of fermenter..

having said that though  its nice  drop    and finished alot lighter then expected with abv  finish 4.5%   for a beer that should be atleast 5.5%

it was a grain and grape colab beer with hop nation ,  i have got the recipe  in brewfather now  to make to 23 litres  and the style of beer is a hop nation xpa.

I always sample the beer at every stage  and every couple of days during carbonation as well to see how it is all going and for taste.

this beer is not carbonate hence no  head  to it  and was straight from the fermenter   

20231126_083316.thumb.jpg.71c3ebd6721b04061f58d4ecd793529a.jpg

Nothing wrong with the FWKs these days fella, even for an All Grain brewer. More often than not a delicious beer.

• Like 2