Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

On the left in my only middy drinking glass is my latest Coopers Australian Pale Ale - brewed with BE2 and 500g LDM & supplied yeast, but no hops (forgot!).  Aroma? Flavour - smoky, musty, grapefruit, nice & bitter ; Body & mouth feel - light, oily. Rated 6.5/10

20231220_164614[1].jpg

Looks OK. But seems to me should have a better head. The comments "musty" and "oily" are ringing bells for me. 

Is it possible it's been contaminated, bug? 

How much priming sugar?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

TBH I feel like I'm being attacked from every direction ATM. 

Between the local troll and mods it's all a bit much. 

Frank did say OB et al. "Et al" is short for "et alia," which is Latin for "and others" and is commonly used in academic publications.

Still, it does seem a bit odd that you were singled out.

I think it would have been better if Frank from @Coopers DIY Beer Team had started with "Oi, youse blokes."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Frank did say OB et al. "Et al" is short for "et alia," which is Latin for "and others" and is commonly used in academic publications.

I think it would have been better if Frank from @Coopers DIY Beer Team had started with "Oi, youse blokes."

@Kegory Thx. I thought it was

a typo.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I had never heard of it but assumed there was something there. By only tagging old bloke for reasons already mentioned was bizarre.

Classic and many others clearly tagged the original post and mentioned brand names. They then gave clear opinions on why they were rubbish beers.  

Does not make alot of sense. If there can be a clear non text book answer from Frank for the reasoning it would be appreciated. 

There has been nothing but abuse around here and I realise is alot to read for one moderator. 

Expect everyone to abide by the same standards or don't bother.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I had never heard of it but assumed there was something there. By only tagging old bloke for reasons already mentioned was bizarre.

Classic and many others clearly tagged the original post and mentioned brand names. They then gave clear opinions on why they were rubbish beers.  

Does not make alot of sense. If there can be a clear non text book answer from Frank for the reasoning it would be appreciated. 

There has been nothing but abuse around here and I realise is alot to read for one moderator. 

Expect everyone to abide by the same standards or don't bother.

Jeez you blokes, either toughen up or just simply stop winging & carrying on with nonsense, get over it & move on.

As our good friend @jennyss stated we don't want to hear about stuff nobody is interested in & certainly be constantly hearing about it.

This is a great forum & Frank is a top bloke always doing his very best, but he needs us to support him on his important role as administration/coordinator.

Let's get back to talking beer, recipes, experiences with everyday brewing & above all uphold mate ship which is the upmost core of this great place.

Merry Xmas & all the very best.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 10:08 PM, Pezzza said:

All the best for Christmas all Ye Brewers

and have a great New Year in 2024 : )

Best Wishes from Pezzza Mountain Brewing!

All the very best to you too bloke!  Good to see the post and rail beers again.  Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Jeez you blokes, either toughen up or just simply stop winging & carrying on with nonsense, get over it & move on.

As our good friend @jennyss stated we don't want to hear about stuff nobody is interested in & certainly be constantly hearing about it.

This is a great forum & Frank is a top bloke always doing his very best, but he needs us to support him on his important role as administration/coordinator.

Let's get back to talking beer, recipes, experiences with everyday brewing & above all uphold mate ship which is the upmost core of this great place.

Merry Xmas & all the very best.

I hope you start taking you're own advise there then as half the conflicts on this site are caused or related to you in some form.

All points made so far are valid and based around facts. I have no problem supporting Frank as administrator on this site if he can explain his reasoning for deleting valid posts before or after deleting while leaving others that abuse or Defame. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg

11 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Looks OK. But seems to me should have a better head. The comments "musty" and "oily" are ringing bells for me. 

Thanks for your comments @Oldbloke. I don't think the brew is contaminated - no nasty off tastes; but then I haven't tasted a really off beer! The priming was 1 1/2 tsps of sugar for each 750ml bottle, using our Coopers red scooper.

The words to describe my beers came from a website called 'appellation beer'. https://appellationbeer.com/blog/words-to-describe-the-beer-you-are-tasting/ . I'm trying to expand my tasting vocab further than just 'yummy' or 'yuck'.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Thanks for your comments @Oldbloke. I don't think the brew is contaminated - no nasty off tastes; but then I haven't tasted a really off beer! The priming was 1 1/2 tsps of sugar for each 750ml bottle, using our Coopers red scooper.

The words to describe my beers came from a website called 'appellation beer'. https://appellationbeer.com/blog/words-to-describe-the-beer-you-are-tasting/ . I'm trying to expand my tasting vocab further than just 'yummy' or 'yuck'.

Fair enough.  Just sounds not right. Flat  musty, oily??  Praps its nothing sinister.  On the add occasion I've had beers that weren't off, but weren't great either.  No obvious explanation. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

If you delete  my post again without explanation you are only proving you have double standards for the forum depending on who it is.

I did provide you with an explanation Uhtred, but for clarity for all, here's what I emailed to you yesterday (the para's in italics are copied and pasted from here):

So just to clarify the part you are referring to here is Defamation against the Great Northern brand?  If this is the case you will need to warn Classic about frequently bagging on the VB brand and also GN if that's what we are talking about.

All OB does is brew and drink Coopers Products I'm a little confused here. There are many negative comments here from people who do not even use coopers products any more and Old Blokes comment is selected.

Old bloke actually didn't even tag the comment or refer to what brand. But before then Classic mentions another brand his neighbor's left behind and bags on them both?  @Coopers DIY Beer Team

Dear Uhtred. I’m not going to get into a slanging match with you on the forum about who said what and when, so I’ve hidden your posts copied above. However, OB did name Great Northern in his post, and I edited that reference out this morning when I saw it. I then went through and edited any other posts on that thread that contained references to the brand that were of a derogatory nature, rather than just deleting or hiding them, which would have been quicker and easier for me.

And please don’t start with the “what abouts”, I treat all forum members equally. If I’ve missed Classic’s posts about other brands in the past, then that’s all it was – me having a full time job in customer service and not having enough time in the day to read every post every day.

End of email. 

Here's my response to your your post that I quoted from above:

I was on leave for three weeks and I asked you all to play nicely while I was away. If there has been abuse going on here while I was away, please point it out to me because I don't have the time to read three weeks' worth of content. I'll point out again, this forum is provided to you free of advertising. If you don't like the way I interact with you and others on this forum, please go somewhere else and watch the ads. Cheers, Frank.

• Like 3

@Coopers DIY Beer Team thanks for the feedback regarding the editing of other comments. When i first made that comment yesterday all the other post from Classic regarding the brand name  were still present the same as last night when i made my second posting. 

I did check my email before the second post i tagged you in for a response. I only had a blank email that I could not open. I thought it may have been a recepie or something with a bad link. 

No bad intentions here and I did say last night it would be hard to moderate it all and I appreciate the feedback. 

I'm also not the only one who thinks there are some that seem to get away with stirring up trouble. Then standing back and accusing others of being silly or a trouble maker when it goes too far.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the Coopers Family the reply is appreciated. 🍻 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team thanks for the feedback regarding the editing of other comments. When i first made that comment yesterday all the other post from Classic regarding the brand name  were still present the same as last night when i made my second posting. 

I did check my email before the second post i tagged you in for a response. I only had a blank email that I could not open. I thought it may have been a recepie or something with a bad link. 

No bad intentions here and I did say last night it would be hard to moderate it all and I appreciate the feedback. 

I'm also not the only one who thinks there are some that seem to get away with stirring up trouble. Then standing back and accusing others of being silly or a trouble maker when it goes too far.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the Coopers Family the reply is appreciated. 🍻 

IMO this is a significant issue here.

Just here to big note themselves and bag everything else. Baiting is another one. Just a troll really.

I've been attacked several times now because I've put forward a very different view.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good forum. But that's an issue. I've seen it ruin forums. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

TBH I feel like I'm being attacked from every direction ATM. 

Between the local troll and mods it's all a bit much. 

That's how I feel when I post in a car forum, because I am don't wet my pants over a manual real-wheel drive V8 and I have no interest in driving a Tonka truck 🙂 

Seriously though, things do get out of hand at times and it is a shame because that's not what we're here for. We're here because we like making beer and we're here to ask questions, answer them, learn things and generally just talk about beer-related things. We're generally a pretty friendly bunch I'd say. However, some topics split things a little. This is fine as we can't all be of the same opinion, besides beer being awesome 🙂 This is where you come in. You've been brewing since before Keith Richards was around and have been doing your thing happily. That is great but sometimes your advice is a little "odd", for example, "I don't see the point in cold crashing, so don't worry about it" (paraphrased). CCing beer is a good thing and is generally accepted as a good practice for all its benefits. When somebody asks a question and gets a valid and good answer, you come out guns blazing, telling everybody that it is not necessary and just a pointless exercise. That may be your opinion but is not necessarily advice to give to somebody who wants to sort out a specific issue or is generally interested. I have plenty of bad habits but I'd never tell others to employ them, simply because they are bad habits people shouldn't have. Not saying that not cold crashing is a bad habit but I guess you get what I mean. Things like that do irk me. Just like a while ago, around the topic of sanitation and cleaning, where you throw advice around that this and that is all nonsense because you have been brewing for 30 years and never had an issue. It's analogous to telling people not to get home insurance because you haven't had one for 30 years and nothing ever happened. As a justification, you always throw Coopers into the mix, telling everybody that if Coopers says so, it is fine. Sure, things work the way it states on a can, sure you can use a tonne of bleach to clean your gear, sure, you can ferment your beer at 27C and sure, you still make beer without cold crashing. But there is a massive difference between basic advice to make things work and advice to make things better.

Then I come in, swinging sarcasm around, which while flippantly phrased, is true at its core. When I see some advice, I simply cringe and it is hard to control my fingers 🙂 I started brewing last century and gave up not two years into the game. Why? Because my beer sucked. I screwed everything up, just threw things together without even thinking, thought I was sophisticated because I made a stout and poured a cup of hot coffee into the wort. I had no concept and no idea of what I was actually doing. I restarted brewing five years ago or so and went down the same path as last time. Until I discovered this forum. I can tell you now, I wouldn't be brewing anymore, if it wasn't for this place. People set my head straight and sent me down the right path. My beers all of a sudden started to improve and got better and better, giving me the confidence to advance to other levels of brewing. If somebody had told me to not worry about this and not worry about that and take it easy and she'll be right, I'd have thrown in the towel shortly after restarting. 

I was given good advice that helped me advance my brewing and it is the type of advice I like giving back. If I can't give good advice, I simply don't give any. If I give advice that isn't best practice but works for me, I make sure it is marked as that. Because what works for me doesn't necessarily work for others. Best practice advice on the other hand does. 

This forum is an awesome place to learn and meet interesting people. Let's not kill it by bickering and infighting.

So in the season's spirit, let this mess rest please and move on to better and more productive things. 

• Like 11

On 12/18/2023 at 9:08 PM, Pezzza said:

All the best for Christmas all Ye Brewers

image.thumb.png.e539449e25c301ca5a6e4d5e154ddbc8.png

and have a great New Year in 2024 : )

image.thumb.png.7b49a1110395589dc8905410b1143f4c.png

Best Wishes from Pezzza Mountain Brewing!

I was wondering when you'd show your face again here, oide Fischhaut 🙂 

Same to you with knobs on mate. 

• Like 2

011, Steam Beer

IMG_20231220_201819775.thumb.jpg.198adbb5a55ccf7c0d43f1f0d5f2293b.jpg

Running low on this batch now, only about half a dozen left. This particular bottle managed to make it home safely from the Merri Mashers Christmas Party although it was a close call. One of the attendees did trip over the esky it was in and take a bit of a tumble late in the evening.

Edited by Kegory
a
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

@Pale Man easy peasy even though this dumb SOB forgot to turn the gas on before tapping as per video. 

And the elbow joint was not all the way tight and the first bit leaked out 🤣

Carlton draught on tap at home just needs be colder as big keg takes its time to cool even though been 2 days. Was only slowly bringing temp down.

20231221_160014.jpg

20231221_155910.jpg

• Like 5

Coopers Cerveza, kit yeast, with BE3 and dry hopped with 25g of Citra hops.

The result is what I was hoping for - a nice easy drinking beer for summer with citrus taste and aroma. Could be a bit clearer, but I’m not that fussed. Head retention is great for a cerveza, and carbonation is the best I’ve had (biggest sound on opening the bottle that I’ve ever achieved). 

Being ice cold helps. It’s only 2 weeks in the bottle, and I imagine it’ll get better.

I’m a complete novice, but this result is honestly the Best brew I’ve ever done! Absolutely stoked.

A94B4C06-02EF-452A-AFE6-9BACEBEA52FF.jpeg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

Coopers Cerveza, kit yeast, with BE3 and dry hopped with 25g of Citra hops.

The result is what I was hoping for - a nice easy drinking beer for summer with citrus taste and aroma. Could be a bit clearer, but I’m not that fussed. Head retention is great for a cerveza, and carbonation is the best I’ve had (biggest sound on opening the bottle that I’ve ever achieved). 

Being ice cold helps. It’s only 2 weeks in the bottle, and I imagine it’ll get better.

I’m a complete novice, but this result is honestly the Best brew I’ve ever done! Absolutely stoked.

A94B4C06-02EF-452A-AFE6-9BACEBEA52FF.jpeg

Well done mate enjoy

• Like 2