Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

4 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

I’m a complete novice, but this result is honestly the Best brew I’ve ever done! Absolutely stoked.

Well done Mackbrew,  If you can and have a brew fridge, cold crashing the FV after fermentation is done, for about 1 week after will cause it to drop a lot of the hazy stuff.  Then bottle as per normal.  Plus it will clear up in the bottles too once chilled for about 1 week or so.  Just pour carefully so as to leave the yeast dusting in the bottom of the bottle and you will get a nice clearer beer in the glass.

Keep the good brews coming and you will be an expert before you know it.  Cheers

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Pale Man easy peasy even though this dumb SOB forgot to turn the gas on before tapping as per video. 

And the elbow joint was not all the way tight and the first bit leaked out 🤣

Carlton draught on tap at home just needs be colder as big keg takes its time to cool even though been 2 days. Was only slowly bringing temp down.

20231221_160014.jpg

20231221_155910.jpg

Looks good mate. Hope it lasts til New Years Eve. 🤣🥳

12 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

Coopers Cerveza, kit yeast, with BE3 and dry hopped with 25g of Citra hops.

The result is what I was hoping for - a nice easy drinking beer for summer with citrus taste and aroma. Could be a bit clearer, but I’m not that fussed. Head retention is great for a cerveza, and carbonation is the best I’ve had (biggest sound on opening the bottle that I’ve ever achieved). 

Being ice cold helps. It’s only 2 weeks in the bottle, and I imagine it’ll get better.

I’m a complete novice, but this result is honestly the Best brew I’ve ever done! Absolutely stoked.

A94B4C06-02EF-452A-AFE6-9BACEBEA52FF.jpeg

Well done MB, no looking back now. 👍🍺

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

The result is what I was hoping for - a nice easy drinking beer for summer with citrus taste and aroma. Could be a bit clearer, but I’m not that fussed. Head retention is great for a cerveza, and carbonation is the best I’ve had (biggest sound on opening the bottle that I’ve ever achieved). 

Being ice cold helps. It’s only 2 weeks in the bottle, and I imagine it’ll get better.

I can't remember if you have a temp fridge if you do cold crashing will help with clearing it up even a 2 or 3 day crash will work wonders

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments and tips all. It’s because of this forum that I’ve come this far.

Im in the early days of brewing and experimenting, and although cerveza’s not my favourite style, this gives me so much encouragement.

Yes, cold crashing is on my agenda, and I enjoy reading about it here. But small steps for me at the moment. But honestly didn’t think a simple homebrew could get this result, and fun.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Looks good mate. Hope it lasts til New Years Eve. 🤣🥳

Yeah happy if it gets me through Christmas and boxing day etc. On Dry stubbies now because it needs to get colder and I have Melbourne Bitter stubbies also.  

Might try again tomorrow for a few then wait until Saturday to get serious. My missus loves VB and Draught so will be 2 of us into it. Also a few mates who could be invited if get in the mood after Xmas. 

I'm trying to get my home brew stocks up for when it empties but have a similar problem as @Aussiekraut

Need to use one fridge to keep finished kegs and gas and another to brew. I may have to drink bought beer for a while to get a few good home brew kegs ready. 

Small world problems 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mackbrew said:

Thanks for the comments and tips all. It’s because of this forum that I’ve come this far.

Im in the early days of brewing and experimenting, and although cerveza’s not my favourite style, this gives me so much encouragement.

Yes, cold crashing is on my agenda, and I enjoy reading about it here. But small steps for me at the moment. But honestly didn’t think a simple homebrew could get this result, and fun.

That's great, each brew should get better & you will find ways to shorten & also improve the efficiency in your brews.

Experimenting yet not straying off the track too much is your best teacher & keeping basic notes will assist in future brews.

Good Luck with your brewing.
Cheers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

TBH since I have bought the mini keg all I have been doing was exactly that, I found by burping it & setting the psi to bugger all delivers a normal beer.

No worries I suggested you were too high at 10psi glad I drew your attention to a lower psi and it helped you out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mackbrew said:

There is a phenomenon known as hop fade associated with dry hopping as discussed in this thread https://community.diybeer.com/topic/14441-why-is-my-hops-aroma-fading/

I agree that your beer will probably get better but I suspect there will be a small window in which it is at its best.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

No worries I suggested you were too high at 10psi glad I drew your attention to a lower psi and it helped you out

Yeah, all good, thanks, the first pour was like a steam cleaner, thank goodness I had it near the sink, now I think it is too low but that's OK it's easy to manipulate it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kegory said:

There is a phenomenon known as hop fade associated with dry hopping as discussed in this thread https://community.diybeer.com/topic/14441-why-is-my-hops-aroma-fading/

I agree that your beer will probably get better but I suspect there will be a small window in which it is at its best.

I have been hopping my beers (in a hop bag) for the last 4 days of fermentation & find that it has been giving me the best lingering hop aroma & taste than any other method, even in AG brews where I have boiled hops in 3 different stages but mostly, I don't need to add additional hops unless the recipe calls for it.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I'm drinking out of the keg at the moment a beer that is 6 weeks old and I reckon that late hop flavour I was getting is diminishing still a good beer but just tapering off I reckon

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I'm drinking out of the keg at the moment a beer that is 6 weeks old and I reckon that late hop flavour I was getting is diminishing still a good beer but just tapering off I reckon

Anecdotally, based on the limited sample size that I have read on the subject, kegging seems to retain the dry hopped character longer than bottling.

That sounds like something that would make a good basis for a future exbeeriment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In reply to Kegory:

Well there you go. Thanks heaps for that. That’s really good to know.

Looks like this one’ll be going down quickly,  which is okay be me because I wanted a quick drinking Christmas beer and looks like I got one. Thanks Santa.

Actually, reminds me of the four stages of Christmas:

1) you believe in Santa

2) you don’t beleive in Santa

3) You Dress sup and pretend to be Santa

4) You actually start to look like Santa

Im well into the fourth stage.

Edited by Mackbrew
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

In reply to Kegory:

Well there you go. Thanks heaps for that. That’s really good to know.

Looks like this one’ll be going down quickly,  which is okay be me because I wanted a quick drinking Christmas beer and looks like I got one. Thanks Santa.

Actually, reminds me of the four stages of Christmas:

1) you believe in Santa

2) you don’t beleive in Santa

3) You Dress sup and pretend to be Santa

4) You actually start to look like Santa

Im well into the fourth stage.

I've got a Santa costume and last year when looking after the grandkids they were quiet so my missus and I went looking for them and yep you guessed it

20221004_153403.thumb.jpg.b0f91b38adaf06d55b049b439f714c0f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, all good, thanks, the first pour was like a steam cleaner, thank goodness I had it near the sink, now I think it is too low but that's OK it's easy to manipulate it.

Cheers.

HEEE - That's funny 😂

Since I have started brewing again and using a keg system for all packaging, I use a 4 litre mini keg to accommodate my 23 litre brews (ie: 1 X 19 lite corny + 1 X 4 litre mini). The mini kegs are great if you are wanting to travel with a brew for you and a couple of others. I bought myself an adjustable flow control tap, so I can use the small gas bulb to provide dispensing pressure and at the same time not have to worry about a "steam cleaner" blow back 🫣

If I'm wanting just a cold one for myself while I'm out n about, I'll squeeze off a couple of roadies into 1.25 litre PET bottles (my father-in-law dinks a lot of sparkling water, so these are great for a second time use) on brew day using my Counter Pressure Beer Bottle Filler - easy to do and the beer keeps ready to pick up and go for several months without issue (no gas, no taps, just chill, unscrew, enjoy and dispose of the used PET bottle) - WOOHAA 👏🍺🥳

P.S. Lookin' like ya lovin' life Phil - Good photo cobber - Good for you 👍

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

HEEE - That's funny 😂

Since I have started brewing again and using a keg system for all packaging, I use a 4 litre mini keg to accommodate my 23 litre brews (ie: 1 X 19 lite corny + 1 X 4 litre mini). The mini kegs are great if you are wanting to travel with a brew for you and a couple of others. I bought myself an adjustable flow control tap, so I can use the small gas bulb to provide dispensing pressure and at the same time not have to worry about a "steam cleaner" blow back 🫣

If I'm wanting just a cold one for myself while I'm out n about, I'll squeeze off a couple of roadies into 1.25 litre PET bottles (my father-in-law dinks a lot of sparkling water, so these are great for a second time use) on brew day using my Counter Pressure Beer Bottle Filler - easy to do and the beer keeps ready to pick up and go for several months without issue (no gas, no taps, just chill, unscrew, enjoy and dispose of the used PET bottle) - WOOHAA 👏🍺🥳

P.S. Lookin' like ya lovin' life Phil - Good photo cobber - Good for you 👍

Cheers, all good, I have flow control taps from KegLand on my keg fridge. I also have a Counter Pressure beer thingy, 

So now things are good. 

Have a great Xmas & happy new year to you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

@Kegory also in this you are right it hangs around in the keg longer than the bottle. But it does also start to disappear even if always kept cool.

So how do commercial brews keep the dry hop flavour? Pasteurisation?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Kegory also in this you are right it hangs around in the keg longer than the bottle. But it does also start to disappear even if always kept cool.

So how do commercial brews keep the dry hop flavour? Pasteurisation?

Over the bar it's fresh in the bottle shops it doesn't turn over as quickly

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers, all good, I have flow control taps from KegLand on my keg fridge. I also have a Counter Pressure beer thingy, 

So now things are good. 

Have a great Xmas & happy new year to you. 

HA HA! - Yep, by the look on your dial, I have no doubt they are Phil 😉

Thanks mate - right back at ya cobber 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1