Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

5 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yes after doing some research bought a type d connection with liquid elbow joint to help with the height in keggerator.

Watched a you tube video but still anxious about if going right with a 50 litre keg I paid $414 dollars for

20231214_204436.jpg

Let me know how you go, I'm very interested!!!!

• Like 2

Couple of new beers for me. The Cerveza was a decent drop, the rice lager (cant find the photo)is average, most rice lagers I've tried you can really taste the difference with the rice, this one you can't imo. 

The Old Perculiar is always a great drop, reminds me so much of my Ruby Red I'll be releasing next year. 

20231214_155355.jpg

20231214_161447.jpg

20231214_204827.jpg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Couple of new beers for me. The Cerveza was a decent drop, the rice lager (cant find the photo)is average, most rice lagers I've tried you can really taste the difference with the rice, this one you can't imo. 

The Old Perculiar is always a great drop, reminds me so much of my Ruby Red I'll be releasing next year. 

20231214_155355.jpg

20231214_161447.jpg

20231214_204827.jpg

Looking good Hoppy. 

• Like 1

Coopers 2023 Vintage Ale - My version

First taste @25 days old:

• Poor carbonation - This bottle, along with half the batch, was primed with 2 carbonation drops and the other half with 1 teaspoon sugar. 😕
  • Fruit cake aromas with some toffee notes
  • Dark toffee flavour, a little cola-like, slight caramelisation, maybe a touch of burnt toffee
  • Slight alcohol warming
  • Bitterness is there but balanced
  • Fairly easy to drink
  • 6.5/10 (at this stage)
  • Might have to try one of the sugar primed bottles early

IMG_4118.thumb.JPG.de5eef467f932bd407550e34aaa58762.JPG

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers 2023 Vintage Ale - My version

First taste @25 days old:

• Poor carbonation - This bottle, along with half the batch, was primed with 2 carbonation drops and the other half with 1 teaspoon sugar. 😕
  • Fruit cake aromas with some toffee notes
  • Dark toffee flavour, a little cola-like, slight caramelisation, maybe a touch of burnt toffee
  • Slight alcohol warming
  • Bitterness is there but balanced
  • Fairly easy to drink
  • 6.5/10 (at this stage)
  • Might have to try one of the sugar primed bottles early

IMG_4118.thumb.JPG.de5eef467f932bd407550e34aaa58762.JPG

Yeah bugger all head that's for sure what is floating on top is that sediment?

49 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Is it possible it's the glass?

No, the glass is nice and clean.

I did not get much fizz when I opened the cap.  As soon as I heard it, I was a bit worried.  I tend not to use carbonation drops these days because I have had less than perfect results.  This brew can be aged, and that usually develops a bit more carbonation with time.  So I was less worried about using carbonation drops.  It will be interesting to see how the sugar primed bottles go.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah bugger all head that's for sure what is floating on top is that sediment?

No sediment.  The pale colour is a slight amount of foam on the surface.  The darker spots are where there is no foam, so you can see through the dark beer from below.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No, the glass is nice and clean.

I did not get much fizz when I opened the cap.  As soon as I heard it, I was a bit worried.  I tend not to use carbonation drops these days because I have had less than perfect results.  This brew can be aged, and that usually develops a bit more carbonation with time.  So I was less worried about using carbonation drops.  It will be interesting to see how the sugar primed bottles go.

Mate,  stick to table sugar. 8grams per litre. Never fails. 

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Best Bitter - Gladfield malts with a generous dose of Fuggles and East Kent Goldings.  While it's lightly carbonated, consistent with the style, I just can't bring myself to carb as low as a traditional English cask ales! 🤪

Bitter_Dec2023.jpg

Your beers are always so clear and beautifully presented. Bloody excellent fella. As @Classic Brewing Co always says..........take the day off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Best Bitter - Gladfield malts with a generous dose of Fuggles and East Kent Goldings.  While it's lightly carbonated, consistent with the style, I just can't bring myself to carb as low as a traditional English cask ales! 🤪

Bitter_Dec2023.jpg

Gladfield malts are beautiful, very under rated.

• Like 2

Tried another bottle of the Coopers 2023 Vintage Ale (ROTM from a while back).

Compared to my previous tasting, this one is better.  It is from one of the Coopers bottles, with 1 teaspoon of sugar for priming.  Technically less sugar (4 grams) in the Coopers bottle, compared to 2 carbonation drops (6 grams) in the CUB bottles.  But still fizzier than the previous taste test.  The extra carbonation made a difference, but still needs to sit for a while longer.  Maybe it is the type of bottles?

I would give this 7.5/10.  I scored some commercial bottles of the 2023 Vintage from Dans the other day.  Maybe I should do a side-by-side taste test soon.

IMG_4126.thumb.JPG.de1a9b84d779b8cf421509b6237cbf9f.JPG

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 9

22 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Bitter_Dec2023.jpg

BS, get outta here. Magnificent looking beer and what a pic -just beautiful mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

@Shamus O'Sean I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that higher gravity beers take longer to carbonate in the bottle 🤔 I don’t remember the reason why unfortunately. Maybe they just need to sit for a bit longer than the usual ale. Like a few months rather than a few weeks.

I have definitely noticed that with previous versions of the Coopers Vintage Ale that I have done.  For that very reason I usually do half the bottles at standard priming rates and the other half at a lower rate.

• Like 2