Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

Hazy IPA packed full of Simcoe, Mosaic, Galaxy and Citra really nice beer at 54ibus so has a nice bitterness! It’s actually almost clear after two and a bit months in the keg! Still has some aroma on the nose 👃 good beer! Love my Furphy glasses too! 🍺 

IMG_6438.jpeg

• Like 12

A sneak preview of my pilsner, very dry and crisp, I think I have found my daily driver 😀

Pretty happy with this one, a nice mild taste, just pale malt and saaz - for some reason I now want to mow the lawn 🤔

I guess I should really mow the lawn as it is only 8:30am!! 😕

Pils.gif.8dec083cffa78247497ebba6057e544e.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Hazy IPA packed full of Simcoe, Mosaic, Galaxy and Citra really nice beer at 54ibus so has a nice bitterness! It’s actually almost clear after two and a bit months in the keg! Still has some aroma on the nose 👃 good beer! Love my Furphy glasses too! 🍺 

IMG_6438.jpeg

Great glass, perfect for beer.

• Thanks 1

All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK with 60g Citra and 60g El Dorado. I will start by saying it is a nice beer, but it is… strange.
I don’t know if I’ve done something wrong along the way, but when I think NEIPA I think juicy, hazy, massive aroma and hop flavour and not very bitter. I initially thought that this had virtually no aroma, but after finishing a bottle I think that not quite correct. It does have an aroma but I’m finding it very hard to pin down. I asked the wife what she thought and she said mango, but it doesn’t smell like how I expect mango to smell like. It’s a kinda grassy kinda “funky” smell. Not entirely unpleasant but I can’t pick exactly what it is, certainly not what I expected for the hops used.
It’s not super hazy, but I did cold crash it. It’s not especially juicy, although there is some hop flavour.
Overall it’s a nice brew and I look forward to drinking more of it, but it’s more subtle than I expected, maybe more like a pale ale than the whole NEIPA experience I was expecting. Will have to have another tomorrow and see if a new day bring any changed perspective!

IMG_5479.jpeg

• Like 8

So I’m having another of the same “NEIPA” now and trying to figure it out. Given it’s a FWK all I did was add the extra 5L water to top up to 20L as suggested, add yeast, then dry hop and cold crash and roughly the same time. The hops sat in the FV for 3 days.

I’m wondering if it’s maybe the yeast given that would have the most impact on this brew. It was the MJ M66 Hophead ale yeast. Perhaps it just didn’t work for this style? (At least at this time). I did want to use Lalbrew New England but it was out of stock on the day. Perhaps I shouldn’t have cold crashed it?

Any Brew-ru’s (brew gurus 😅) have any thoughts?

IMG_5485.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NBillett09 said:

So I’m having another of the same “NEIPA” now and trying to figure it out. Given it’s a FWK all I did was add the extra 5L water to top up to 20L as suggested, add yeast, then dry hop and cold crash and roughly the same time. The hops sat in the FV for 3 days.

I’m wondering if it’s maybe the yeast given that would have the most impact on this brew. It was the MJ M66 Hophead ale yeast. Perhaps it just didn’t work for this style? (At least at this time). I did want to use Lalbrew New England but it was out of stock on the day. Perhaps I shouldn’t have cold crashed it?

IMG_5485.jpeg

Old hops?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@Tone boy I’ll have to check the bags, how old do they have to be to be considered “old”?

Probably depends on how they were stored. Hops degrade, from what I have read, due to time, heat, oxygen and light. Exposure to one or more of those variables will reduce the life of hops. 
If you have the bag(s), sometimes they have the harvest year on them.

I store my hops in a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer.

Older hops can give the grassy flavour you described.

I have used El Dorado hops before and they did give me a bit of a over ripe fruit vibe - not sure if that’s the “funky” you’re getting…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Old hops?

That it what I'd be thinking as well @NBillett09. They can give a pretty underwhelming result - especially when you are expecting some hop presence.

I haven't used the FWK so not sure what it's like. I have used old hops before and the results were fairly dull. It's a real bummer to drink through a beer you thought was gunna be something else.

3 days should be plenty. How were they added and contained? I'm assuming you've had good results with dry hopping before?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

IMG_5485.jpeg

I had something like that in a Galaxy hopped brew I called Galaxeclipse Pale Ale.  Click on the link for more detail.  I put it down to old hops.  They would have been in my freezer for 1 - 2 years.  Maybe they had oxidised a bit.  They were in an unsealed packet.

• Like 3

IIRC they were crop year 2021 I think… I bought them from the supplier where they were in the fridge and have kept them in the freezer, I just bought the El Dorado, the Citra I had for a few months in the freezer, both sealed.

yeah I recall that brew @Shamus O'Sean I did an approximately same brew at the same time. That worked out real well for me with heaps of hop character and aroma. One of my favourites so far!
I believe the hops were stored in cold storage and have been sealed the whole time, but maybe it was just old hops..

@Popo the Degenerate they were added in a mesh hop bag with a sanitized tbl spoon with plenty of bag room, and I’ve had good results with that bag before. Just cracked the lid, dropped them in then resealed.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Because of the chloramine in the tap water. I'd only managed to evaporate off the chlorine but the chloramine remained.

Have you considered a RO system? Under sink RO units are relatively inexpensive and can remove most chloramine and other unwanted compounds from town water. I love my RO system as it gives me a relatively inert water for brewing. Seems a little counter-intuitive, as then I can add compounds to get where I want to be with my water profile.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Have you considered a RO system? Under sink RO units are relatively inexpensive and can remove most chloramine and other unwanted compounds from town water. I love my RO system as it gives me a relatively inert water for brewing. Seems a little counter-intuitive, as then I can add compounds to get where I want to be with my water profile.

No mate. I just treat the water with potassium metabisulphite now. It cost me about $6.50 for more than I could possibly use in a year.

4 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

yeah I recall that brew @Shamus O'Sean I did an approximately same brew at the same time. That worked out real well for me with heaps of hop character and aroma. One of my favourites so far!
I believe the hops were stored in cold storage and have been sealed the whole time, but maybe it was just old hops..

That's right.  I do recall us bantering about our similar brews around that time. 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

No mate. I just treat the water with potassium metabisulphite now. It cost me about $6.50 for more than I could possibly use in a year.

OK, so I take it that you were not using it when you were having problems with chloramine tastes in beer?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

OK, so I take it that you were not using it when you were having problems with chloramine tastes in beer?

No I wasn't. My first brew had the double whammy of chlorine and chloramine but I evaporated the chlorine off for the second brew and that twang was lessened but still present. From 007 onwards I've been using the potassium metabisulphite and my beers have tasted and smelled much better since then, even the one that had too much acetaldehyde.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. 

I'd be interested to know what the FWK is like with no dry hop additions. It should still have a bit of punch. 

I always put a 50gm hop infusion 3-4 days before kegging, it works fine for me, hoppy flavours & aromas until the last pour.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Whats the rough cost of an RO system and are they easy to fit?

@Pale Man Keg Land have one for $250, I’d assume fairly easy to install.

Are we allowed to post links to stuff like that, if coopers don’t actually sell it? Quick search of reverse osmosis on keg land’s site and you’ll find it though.

bunnings also do them for a few different prices for different models.

• Like 3