Coopers Community

Goodbye friends!

ChristinaS1

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I posted. I just wanted to provide an explanation as to why I have not been on the forum. I have run into some health issues. For the past year and a half or so I have been experiencing a lot of brain farts, forgetting things, sometimes mispronouncing my words, etc. At first I brushed them off, but then my family started to notice too, and that made me take a hard look at my situation. I feel like I am showing early signs of dementia. Yikes!  

As a retired nurse practitioner, I dove right into research mode. Luckily for me I had genetic testing a couple of years ago through 23andMe, including the health testing. In taking a closer look at my results I discovered that I have a genetic variant called APOE E4, aka "the Alzheimer's gene." Luckily I only have one copy, which is the case for 25% of people with European ancestry.  People with one copy of the variant run a 4-7% chance of developing Alzheimer's by age 75, and a 20-30% chance of getting it by age 85. Geez, those are awfully high rates, and I am nearly 63 already. ...Note, 2-3% of people carry two copies of E4 and are at even greater risk.

Long story short, I am making some major lifestyle changes, chief among them is giving up alcohol. I have not had a drink since March 31, 2022, and don't plan on drinking again. In people with the APOE E4 variant it is recommended that you don't drink any alcohol later life as even light to moderate consumption can increase your risk. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24049153/  Alcohol is a neurotoxin, and contributes to inflammation of the brain. I love beer, but I love my brain and family more! I don't want to saddle my wife with having to look after me, not if there is anything I can do to prevent it. So I have quit drinking. I have also started intermittent fasting (squeezing all of my meals into 8 hours and fasting the other 16), increased my exercise, started taking CBD oil, and am trying to get to bed earlier. I am looking into various supplements too. These are all meant to decrease inflammation. Anyway, the good news is that, while it has only been 18 days, we have noticed some improvements in my symptoms. I hope the improvements continue. I may still get Alzheimer's but I hope to push that day ahead as long as possible....I am scheduled to see my doctor tomorrow to discuss. 

Part of my motivation for sharing this is because 28% of you will have one or two copies of the APOE E4 variant, and that is a large number. Also, I know that many of you are daily drinkers, of multiple servings, and some of you are getting close to retirement, or are retired. I encourage all of you to get tested for the APOE E4 variant, to find out if you are at risk of Alzheimer's and, if you are, to consider making some lifestyle changes.

When discussion on this thread dies down, I probably won't be visiting the Coopers forum anymore, to avoid temptation. Just wanted to add that you are a great bunch of guys and it has been nice knowing you. All the best going forward. May you live long and prosper!

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Christina, that is terribly sad news. I have enjoyed reading your posts and appreciated your insights and knowledge of brewing. 

Please look after yourself and I hope you can keep this condition at bay for a long time. 

Best wishes, 

Greg.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I am nearly 63 already.

You don't look anywhere near 63 in your profile picture.

All the best mate, I have enjoyed the conversation we have had on here and you and your valuable contributions will be missed.

Look after yourself,

much love from afar

Edited by interceptor
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

As a new home brewer, I have only read a couple of your posts. I noticed that other forum members  call on you for expert opinion. Thank you for sharing your health concerns. As a drinker and person in their 60's, your information  is very relevant to me. 

best wishes.png

from jennyss in Western NSW

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 5

Hey Christina,

So sorry to hear of your health concern, but how great you are onto it early and are taking steps to mitigate the downside. 
I want to say how much I have appreciated your posts on this forum. I always looked forward to reading your posts because you have so much knowledge but imparted that knowledge with kindness and generosity. I still refer to your partial mashing explanation often - wow what a legacy for anyone who finds that resource! You will be missed around here for sure!

I wish you and your wife all the very best in this next phase of your life. 
Sending you peace and positive vibrations from the other side of the planet,

Cheers to you the one and only amazing Christina ✌️
From Tone Boy in Victoria Aus 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Christina, I have enjoyed reading your posts and I am appreciative of your knowledge, insight and advice. You will be missed.

I hope that the future remains bright for you, as I am sure it will be.

Take care.

• Like 5

Hi @ChristinaS1, there is not a reaction emoji to describe how I felt on reading your post.  Proud, courageous, sad, encouraged, it could be any one of those, or some kind of combination. 

You are making the right decisions for the right reasons.  You will be missed on the Forum, but never forgotten.  Your recipes will continue to be an inspiration.  Your knowledge of yeast will be sought out.  You helped me out with diastaticus issues a while back.  Look it up folks, it could save your brewery.

All the best with your lifestyle changes.  Your wife and extended family will appreciate it.

Kind regards Shane

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

so sorry to hear  Christina,  however health is more important and yopur making the right decision for you.

you will be missed with your valuable information it was always a joy to read

i wish you all the best in the future   

• Like 3

Hi Christina, I am so very sad to hear this news. But you are doing what needs to be done - like everyone here I applaud you for that and admire you're courage. Your health is everything in the end. Thank-you for your posts, your sharing of knowledge and for helping all of us on our brewing journey. Your input and comments will be missed. Take care, look after yourself and I wish you all the very best in this next chapter of your life. 

kindest regards Mick 

• Like 6

Farewell Christina. Thank u for all you have done on the forum! A wealth of friendly and helpful information! Sounds like u have the right tools to take care of your current situation. Love from Pints aka Evan, South Africa 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kind regards Shane

This is quite a sad thread. Firstly Christina is leaving us and secondly I discover the our beer guru is a bloke called Shane?!
I knew Shamus was a pseudonym but I was expecting your real name to be something like Aristotle or Leonardo, such is your wisdom. 😉 

• Haha 8

Sorry to hear of this Christina and sorry to see you go. I have always appreciated your comments and thoughts and will miss them greatly. But health and happiness always come before anything. It is something you cannot buy and I wish you all the best in improving your health and enjoying the time with your loved ones.

Wayne

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this until just then

It is sad to see you go as you were a very valued member of the forum and your input will be missed.

Be proud of taking the necessary steps, even if it means giving up the thing we all love: beer. You could just go ahead, keep doing what you do and forget about it (no pun intended) but you put your health and your family first and that is commendable.

Take care and all the best.

• Like 5

Christina, thank you for your incredibly knowledgeable input to the forum and support and advice you've provided your fellow brewers here over the past nine years. We're all very sad to see you go but totally understand that your health and family must come first. Everyone here at Coopers Brewery and Coopers Community Members wish you the very best life can offer with your wife and family. 

Cheers, Frank.

PS Once you've created those new habits and routines in your life, we'd love to have you back to join in our conversations around food and gardening, as long as you feel comfortable with it, of course.  

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ChristinaS1 and yeah just echo all the above - really valued your input always - hugely - and respect your decision - and yeah getting off Carbs, intermittent fasting, and also if you can do it - one or two days per week - full on fasting - I think is really beneficial - the hormesis effect - dunno if you are still on the site - but I guess from here - all the best and am hoping things go well: )  🙂

• Like 4

On 5/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Christina, thank you for your incredibly knowledgeable input to the forum and support and advice you've provided your fellow brewers here over the past nine years. We're all very sad to see you go but totally understand that your health and family must come first. Everyone here at Coopers Brewery and Coopers Community Members wish you the very best life can offer with your wife and family. 

Cheers, Frank.

PS Once you've created those new habits and routines in your life, we'd love to have you back to join in our conversations around food and gardening, as long as you feel comfortable with it, of course.  

Thanks Frank. All the best to you too. 🙂

I will think about your invitation to come back to the forum at some point in the future, to talk about food and gardening. Maybe. The idea appeals to me but I am not sure I should....

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 11