Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

Have my Emu Export clone cold crashing now added gelatine last night looks pretty clear already. Had a little taste and I think the super pride hops are on the money. Really looking forward to this one. Never thought I would be saying that about Emu Export🤦🏼‍♂️ Will be pretty chuffed if I nail it. My neighbour keeps asking about it as well🤣

5EFB6C31-DBBD-4C8B-9368-3AD7383A3A93.jpeg

C0944124-0FB1-4C5D-B9E3-1A6B72205E4C.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Have my Emu Export clone cold crashing now added gelatine last night looks pretty clear already. Had a little taste and I think the super pride hops are on the money. Really looking forward to this one. Never thought I would be saying that about Emu Export🤦🏼‍♂️ Will be pretty chuffed if I nail it. My neighbour keeps asking about it as well🤣

Tel your neighbour that it got infected and went off so you had to tip it.  That way keep it all for yourself. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, RDT2 said:

5EFB6C31-DBBD-4C8B-9368-3AD7383A3A93.jpeg

C0944124-0FB1-4C5D-B9E3-1A6B72205E4C.jpeg

care to share the recipe? 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 8:44 PM, MUZZY said:

And on a WW "Larger" note: I'm drinking some right now. My version tastes quite good but head retention is non-existent. On my next attempt I want to add more malt to alleviate that but I know malt will also change the taste too. I'm in a quandary.

Someone else did the experiment

And there is a "FaceBook" page.... "OMG"

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well only one thing to say, if you want to brew cheaply that's the way but you couldn't expect any more using 1kg sugar.

IMO that is a pretty ordinary way to make beer, least of all getting anything decent to drink.

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well only one thing to say, if you want to brew cheaply that's the way but you couldn't expect any more using 1kg sugar.

IMO that is a pretty ordinary way to make beer, least of all getting anything decent to drink.

Better than no 🍺 if your doing it tough! Some people brew All grain and make an Emu Export mega swill style who would do that??? Oh yeah it’s me🤷🤦🏼‍♂️  What ever floats your boat I reckon. My dad does a Coopers Lager with sugar and is happy with that. Although I’ve now got him using Kveik in summer and reusing the yeast. I gave him a Saison yeast last year and it tasted pretty good with the Lager and sugar as much as I hate to admit it! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Better than no 🍺 if your doing it tough! Some people brew All grain and make an Emu Export mega swill style who would do that??? Oh yeah it’s me🤷🤦🏼‍♂️  What ever floats your boat I reckon. My dad does a Coopers Lager with sugar and is happy with that. Although I’ve now got him using Kveik in summer and reusing the yeast. I gave him a Saison yeast last year and it tasted pretty good with the Lager and sugar as much as I hate to admit it! 

Yeah I understand, I wasn't having a go especially at those whom may be on a budget but it reminds me of the old days when we didn't know any better. The beer was pretty ordinary, with all of the home brew products available these days we are able to take the quality to new heights. I also understand we all all free to do what we want, it was only my opinion. Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Why would you even bother if it tastes like crap. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

‘Even when I started doing K&K a few yrs ago I never used sugar.

I guess I watched a few K&K videos to understand the beer making process, so basically went straight for BE2/BE3, light dried malt and then used Liquid Malt exclusively, it improved my beer immensely. 
Then eventually joined the Dark Side 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I had seen this video before. Now that I've made the WW Lager once with mainly dextrose and a little BE3, I don't see myself using just sugar. While the taste was pleasant enough the lack of head disappointed me. I've just finished mixing another batch of it but used BE2 this time. I also did a hot steep of Nugget hops with it to add just a little more bitterness, as it's a fairly sweet beer.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I had seen this video before. Now that I've made the WW Lager once with mainly dextrose and a little BE3, I don't see myself using just sugar. While the taste was pleasant enough the lack of head disappointed me. I've just finished mixing another batch of it but used BE2 this time. I also did a hot steep of Nugget hops with it to add just a little more bitterness, as it's a fairly sweet beer.

@MUZZY and other K & K brewers that have this problem.

I have mentioned this many times before, if you want a head and head retention on a K & K brew like the original series Coopers range, WW lager etc. its mandatory to do a cold overnight steep of milled Carapils - 250 - 300 g in a muslin cloth or small BIAB bag.  It will not change the flavour very much at all, maybe just add some graininess like that you get with AG brewing.

You could add liquid light malt or dry wheat malt and this will also make a difference with head but this addition will alter the flavour.

Every K & K brew I have done since early last year has had the 250 g Carapils steep added.  This process is as automatic to me now as adding water to the kit cans.  I now also use 250 g Carapils in every AG batch unless its has 1 kg of wheat or more.   Results in superb foamy head on my beers as you can see in my posts  "what am I drinking threads".

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Why would you even bother if it tastes like crap. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

‘Even when I started doing K&K a few yrs ago I never used sugar.

I guess I watched a few K&K videos to understand the beer making process, so basically went straight for BE2/BE3, light dried malt and then used Liquid Malt exclusively, it improved my beer immensely. 
Then eventually joined the Dark Side 🤣🤣

Nah I have never used sugar I know people that do because they are Tight A.....'s, they wonder why my beer tastes different, I keep telling them it's called flavour & body, not to mention head retention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

@MUZZY and other K & K brewers that have this problem.

I have mentioned this many times before, if you want a head and head retention on a K & K brew like the original series Coopers range, WW lager etc. its mandatory to do a cold overnight steep of milled Carapils - 250 - 300 g in a muslin cloth or small BIAB bag.  It will not change the flavour very much at all, maybe just add some graininess like that you get with AG brewing.

You could add liquid light malt or dry wheat malt and this will also make a difference with head but this addition will alter the flavour.

Every K & K brew I have done since early last year has had the 250 g Carapils steep added.  This process is as automatic to me now as adding water to the kit cans.  I now also use 250 g Carapils in every AG batch unless its has 1 kg of wheat or more.   Results in superb foamy head on my beers as you can see in my posts  "what am I drinking threads".

Thanks Boozer. This is good to know.
I'm surprised I wasn't aware of this already when you consider how much time I spend on these forums.
A classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees, I guess.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nah I have never used sugar I know people that do because they are Tight A.....'s, they wonder why my beer tastes different, I keep telling them it's called flavour & body, not to mention head retention.

Believe it or not a little bit of sugar or dext in an all grain can be a good thing when aiming for a style. Coopers used it years ago.

Obviously you wouldn't in extract ( kit and kilo ) but actually is encouraged for certain styles in all grain brewing. Belgian beers a prime example. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Believe it or not a little bit of sugar or dext in an all grain can be a good thing when aiming for a style. Coopers used it years ago.

Obviously you wouldn't in extract ( kit and kilo ) but actually is encouraged for certain styles in all grain brewing. Belgian beers a prime example. 

Yes I can see that as I had a couple with an old mate of mine who brews AG, one of them tasted 'wheaty' if that describes what I mean, it was a little grainy & I thought it could have been thinned out a bit, that would probably do it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I can see that as I had a couple with an old mate of mine who brews AG, one of them tasted 'wheaty' if that describes what I mean, it was a little grainy & I thought it could have been thinned out a bit, that would probably do it.

I think its more about getting to that flavour that the big breweries achieve. Its a bit hard to explain. You dont use much bit a little bit helps hit all the numbers. Especially with final gravity ( mouth feel ) to achieve styles that all grainers are after.

I wouldn't let white sugar go near your brews. What you see is what you get, and you love it so i wouldn't think twice about if i were you. 

All grain brewing is a different kettle of fish entirely. You get to control exactly what you are after.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I wouldn't let white sugar go near your brews. What you see is what you get, and you love it so i wouldn't think twice about if i were you. 

Just clearing this up, I have never used white sugar to brew, only LME or LDME & the occasional BE from Coopers, I have also done grain additions. I DO use white sugar 6gm to prime my 750ml Longnecks.

Cheers.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Just clearing this up, I have never used white sugar to brew, only LME or LDME & the occasional BE from Coopers, I have also done grain additions. I DO use white sugar 6gm to prime my 750ml Longnecks.

Cheers.

Yes for can brewing. You're doing as exactly as you should.

But all grain brewing in some recipes can call for amounts of dext or even white sugar. I just wanted to correct the myth that sugar is crap in brewing. For all grain beer its welcome on some occasions. 

I added, i think about 300 grams of white sugar to a Duvel clone a while back. My beer tasted as good if not better than a Duvel.

But you have the grain to drive the style.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Yeah I regularly use up to 20% sugar in my Belgians. However.. thats inverted sugar. I would never put that much straight sugar into a brew. The way yeast consumes sucrose ( regular sugar ) is different to how it consumes inverted sugar which has been broken down into glucose and fructose. When yeast consumes invert sugar it is much more cleaner than sucrose and boosts ABV without any off flavours.

• Like 3

Sorry if I got off topic a bit with my Post/Comment

I've never used strait Sugar in brewing, except for priming in the bottle.

I was just amazed to see the Video of a K&K of wollies lager!

However, this has brought up some very Good advise for the K&K brewer's, things I've not heard before.

I will be adding some Carapiles to my brew's as soon as I can get to the LHBS and pick some Up.

Thanks for the advise.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DavidM said:

I will be adding some Carapiles to my brew's as soon as I can get to the LHBS and pick some Up.

Thanks for the advise.

And maybe do consider the opportunity for using Coopers Liquid Malts as adjuncts @DavidM - the difference is positive and worth the additional expense...  but hey each to their own and to does depend on the result you are chasing and associated budget constraints. 

• Thanks 1