Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

On 1/27/2022 at 3:36 PM, iBooz2 said:

Agreed.  BS beers always look superb.

My latest bitter had a slight chill haze as have some others but generally most my voss beers have cleared up very nicely.  CC plus gelatin and they clear in a matter of days.  I just had a sneaky sample of a new Golden ale  - still needs a bit more time but it's crystal clear and probably THE clearest of my voss brews so far.   Pics coming soon! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds like your golf is going OK Otto I am sure you will achieve your goal, practice, patience & determination are key here, good luck.

I think I can do it too. Not expecting to drop 2.6 shots every month but another 9 in 11 months is achievable. It just depends on how long my work breaks are and what the weather is doing whether I can get short range sessions in during the week. I'm at a point now where shooting 90 is somewhat disappointing because I know I can do better. 

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

yeah called stroke (monthly medal)  

i'm getting to old to chase single figures  but i wish you luck in the journey 
my coach said to me what i taught you do not try to do it in a game let it come natuarlly 
all i try to do in my game is bogie golf   and if that works it works

i enjoy  the comp side of it but more to enjoy the company of my mates 

Yeah, that's what I'm playing in this Saturday too. Last time I played off the black markers I played like rubbish, so I'm hoping for an improvement there. I got pretty lucky with my coach, he keeps it simple instead of all the technical crap and analysing everything to the nth degree, so it's easy to understand and actually do the stuff he's teaching. After that it's up to me to practice it and get it to a point of it coming naturally. 

I enjoy both aspects, but I am very competitive. More so with myself than wanting to win every comp though. All I try to do out there is execute each swing the way I've been taught, and string enough of them together to shoot a decent score. I nearly shot my best 9 hole score on Wednesday, was +1 after 8 but ruined the 9th with a triple 😑🤣

• Like 4

Bottled my second Aussie Draught from Grain & Grape today this one was done with Nottingham yeast.

Then put on one of their Summer Ale kits and threw some US-05 at it, sample tasted yummo OG was 1.051.

Edited by Frosty Chop
Accidentally hit enter.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Frosty Chop said:

Bottled my second Aussie Draught from Grain & Grape today this one was done with Nottingham yeast.

Then put on one of their Summer Ale kits and threw some US-05 at it, sample tasted yummo OG was 1.051.

What, you aren't playing Golf? 🙂 

I have a golfer elbow and I have never in my life even pretended to play that game. I mean really, what a pita is that. I hate the game 😂

• Haha 7

Splashed out out a cheapo fridge for cold crashing. Hardly any second-hand had ones to be had here. The trouble with buying online (which is why it was cheap) is you can't be sure of the size.

If I put a luggage strap around the door to keep it shut I can just get a normal FV in. Height is ok with an airlock on (just), but the width is a bit too much so I'll have to keep it shut with something like a strap. Won't fit either the 30l fermzilla or the Keg King Junior, which is a bit of a bugger. Forget cornie kegs, not even the 10l ones fit in if you have the ball lock connected. If it's not cold crashing I suppose I can at least get stubbies in. Annoying ! 

cold crash fridge 1.jpg

cold crash fridge 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just put my second brew for the year on - Coopers Australian Pale Ale, 23l, BE2,500gm LDM, Kviek & I will dry hop with 25gms of Galaxy on Day 4. A far cry from all of the AG & BIAB brews on here but I know it will be a good beer. I need to build my stocks up fast so it is all on brewing from now on. I was going to set up the STC-1000 in the brew fridge, next to it but I am saving that for something more exotic in a day or 2. The airlock virtually started immediately, the SG was 1.050.

20220202_135927.thumb.jpg.122143481d7ba11d1f3d4db70a8d68c0.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Just put my second brew for the year on - Coopers Australian Pale Ale, 23l, BE2,500gm LDM, Kviek & I will dry hop with 25gms of Galaxy on Day 4. A far cry from all of the AG & BIAB brews on here but I know it will be a good beer. I need to build my stocks up fast so it is all on brewing from now on. I was going to set up the STC-1000 in the brew fridge, next to it but I am saving that for something more exotic in a day or 2. The airlock virtually started immediately, the SG was 1.050.

you might want to keep an eye out on the kveik and put a blow off tube and not airlock on this one  take the precuation now  not when it fires up

also you may want to look earlier for dry hopping as day 4 may be a little late when it comes to kveik  

are you trying to brew this at the ideal temps of this yeast?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

you might want to keep an eye out on the kveik and put a blow off tube and not airlock on this one  take the precuation now  not when it fires up

also you may want to look earlier for dry hopping as day 4 may be a little late when it comes to kveik  

are you trying to brew this at the ideal temps of this yeast?

Well I haven't got a blow off tube & I was also thinking earlier day 4 may be to late maybe day 2, the temperature in this room is fairly constant at around 20-22c as the building has very high ceilings & is also double brick so I am thinking it will be OK. Cheers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well I haven't got a blow off tube & I was also thinking earlier day 4 may be to late maybe day 2, the temperature in this room is fairly constant at around 20-22c as the building has very high ceilings & is also double brick so I am thinking it will be OK. Cheers.

fair enough  if it stays the 20-22°c then day 4 maybe the case   you can dry hop

i was thinking you have been looking at brewing this one at the high temp kveik can be used at

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Day 2 & the Airlock is going crazy with the Kveik, I was expecting a bigger krausen but the Ambi style fermenters are opaque making it hard to see in, even with a torch. 

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Day 2 & the Airlock is going crazy with the Kveik, I was expecting a bigger krausen but the Ambi style fermenters are opaque making it hard to see in, even with a torch. 

The cooler temperature (for Kveik anyway) might help keep the Krausen under control.  I did a Kveik brew recently.  Temperature was around 32°C.  It was also pressure fermented at 15 psi.  I think the pressure kept the Krausen low in my case.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The cooler temperature (for Kveik anyway) might help keep the Krausen under control.  I did a Kveik brew recently.  Temperature was around 32°C.  It was also pressure fermented at 15 psi.  I think the pressure kept the Krausen low in my case.

Yes that does make sense, this is the first time I have used it but I did a bit of research online so all is good, I will try it with a few other brews as well, it really does go to work quickly !!

• Like 1

I threw in 20g Citra and 30g Amarillo to the pale ale last night for the dry hop, today it's beginning its drop down to zero or near enough for a week long cold crash. Planning to keg it and the pilsner next weekend, or maybe a day or two before. Will sort out polyclar for both over the next few days, and get a couple of kegs ready. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, MUZZY said:

I've since discovered the Woolies lager is available in Adelaide but just not at my local store. Maybe it's a small store. Anyway, I picked up a can from Gilles Plains today and I'm keen to give it a go. Only has a 5g yeast sachet so I think I'll add a spare 7g Coopers pale ale sachet (ale/lager blend). Going to mix it with 400g BE3 + 600g dextrose. I'll also add a bittering of Liberty hops to pimp it a little. Doing this recipe because they're ingredients I have just sitting around at the moment.

IMG20220122133801.jpg

So this reached FG a day or two ago but is still a little cloudy in the FV so I'll let it settle out a bit before bottling. Had a taste of the SG sample and it reminded me of those Great Northern, Iron Jack type beers except it had some flavour, I assume from the Liberty hops. At this point I'm not enamoured with it but a lot can happen after a few weeks in the bottle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AG Samuel Adam’s Boston Lager is transferred from cube to fermenter, and is now in the fermenting fridge, just awaiting temp to drop, then pitch 2 x 34/70 yeast.

Threw down a quick Mangrove Jacks Passionfruit & Peach Cider for the wife’s birthday in March in the other fermenting fridge, it’s her favourite, last year my wife and her friends polished a keg off in an afternoon by the pool. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Day 4

Jeez, I just through in 25gms of Galaxy ( dry ) into my Coops Pale Ale with the Kveik & the airlock has gone berserk !!

For those of you that remember Pac-Man well it sounds like a game of that, or better still like chucking in a leg of lamb in the pond with Piranha Fish - I have never seen this before, the lid was off for virtually seconds & whammo she's off. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Shamus the thing is still going hard at it, as you may have seen today is day 4 & I dry hopped with 25gms of Galaxy & it went off like crazy again,  while I am sitting here typing this I can still hear it, maybe that's a good thing. I just checked the temp it is 24c.

Cheers Phil.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Shamus the thing is still going hard at it, as you may have seen today is day 4 & I dry hopped with 25gms of Galaxy & it went off like crazy again,  while I am sitting here typing this I can still hear it, maybe that's a good thing. I just checked the temp it is 24c.

Cheers Phil.

You should try it at 35° Phil, that is when it really goes off!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I can imagine but I can't see myself brewing at that temperature. 

That temp is in the range that Lallemand recommend.

"The optimal temperature range for LalBrew Voss yeast when producing traditional
styles is 35-40°C (95-104°F)"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers Phil.

If your SG had stabilised, adding dry hops would not have kicked off extra fermentation (those that talk about biotransformation might disagree, but as a general rule dry hops have negligible sugar so cannot restart fermentation).  What you are probably seeing is the CO2 that has dissolved in the brew as it ferments being released by the nucleation points created by the hops.

I reported on another thread that my Kveik brews in pressure fermenters kept bubbling for a few days after the brew reached a stable SG.  As, I think @ozdevil, pointed out, the bubbles were probably CO2 gassing off out of the finished brew.  Much like a glass of Coke lets of CO2 bubbles and eventually goes flat.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, kmar92 said:

You should try it at 35° Phil, that is when it really goes off!

I could but it would depend on what you are brewing I would have thought, bit high for a Pale Ale isn't it ??

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What you are probably seeing is the CO2 that has dissolved in the brew as it ferments being released by the nucleation points created by the hops.

Yes that makes sense Shamus, the Airlock is still going & seems as there is a late krausen developing, also it is really a totally different colour than other brews, an interesting yeast to work with.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:07 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

AFAIK, Kveik doesn't do too much at that low temperature. From what I gather, most people use it at >25C to brew lagers and >30 to make ales. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes at the current temperature.

Just now, Aussiekraut said:

AFAIK, Kveik doesn't do too much at that low temperature. From what I gather, most people use it at >25C to brew lagers and >30 to make ales. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes at the current temperature.

I am doing it at ambient - if we take the brightest reading it is currently 24c,  maybe next brew I will use the Coops FV & connect up the Temp Controller/Heat Belt & try it at a higher temp, 30c sounds like a nice round figure.

20220206_093631.thumb.jpg.6dc8f8dfc3d5d60fa66d7c78b9ad2892.jpg

• Like 1