Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

I just bottled my Coopers Australian Pale done with the Kveik that @iBooz2 kindly donated, I dry hopped on day 4 with 25gms of Galaxy, I won't be doing it again, Infusion is my favourite way. I got 24 Longnecks bottled but the last few were struggling with the wand clogging up, I had 2 on the go & had to keep flushing & changing them. Does anyone else have this problem ? I don't bother to CC & anyway it's a Pale but I guess it could make a difference.

The aroma was pleasing so I am looking forward to trying this one. The SG was 1.050 & FG bang on 1.010  14 days.

20220216_140042.thumb.jpg.5f1dc65d79879341895d1f44e30d51a3.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No, because I cold crash to make the hops sink to the bottom.  If you are going to commando dry hop, then I think you have to cold crash.  Having said that, I cold crash all my brews.

When I dry hop I put them in a large hop sock with plenty of room to expand and swim around. I weigh it down with sanitized marbles. No blockages 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No, because I cold crash to make the hops sink to the bottom.  If you are going to commando dry hop, then I think you have to cold crash.  Having said that, I cold crash all my brews.

Yes I do understand but I am quite happy to do Infusions, I always get a pleasing result so I will stick to it.

• Like 2

The low ABV Middy with Rye, Voyager Veloria and Winter Wheat is off and away at 22 deg C @approx 20 hours in post-dry-sprinkle-pitch (yeeeeeees with the terribly boring and reliable ol' US05 the well behaved clean high-flocc yeast that lets the malts do the talkin' 😋).  Happy to see things fire up and am would-you-believe it excited to see how this Low-Boy works out.  Never done anything like it before and it was time for the first time... 👍

image.thumb.png.2e493b835f5b77018b950d13f84e1705.png

Yep... it Feels like the First Time 😆

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

The low ABV Middy with Rye, Voyager Veloria and Winter Wheat is off and away at 22 deg C @approx 20 hours in post-dry-sprinkle-pitch (yeeeeeees with the terribly boring and reliable ol' US05 the well behaved clean high-flocc yeast that lets the malts do the talkin' 😋).  Happy to see things fire up and am would-you-believe it excited to see how this Low-Boy works out.  Never done anything like it before and it was time for the first time... 👍

Looks good mate, I agree US-05 is reliable ( well even with k&K ) 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Nothing wrong with trusty old US-05. She's a reliable workhorse, perfect for pales. I use a lot of it and it never disappoints.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.2e493b835f5b77018b950d13f84e1705.png

Yep... it Feels like the First Time 😆

Wow what a video from foreigner!
It may feel like the first time, but if he keeps wearing that white vest, my guess is it’s going to be the only time 🤟

• Haha 2

What I really want in my fermenter is one of these;

https://www.kegland.com.au/fresh3-lager-fresh-wort-kit.html

This info is all I could get from Kegland. 

Off the top of my head this is around 25IBU, but I have put in a request to have this information added as well, so watch this space. Note that some of this is from a hop stand, so perceived IBU would be ~18, I reckon.

Would it be fair to say that this AG lager wort may have been bittered with POR or some such?

Just trying to work out what to add in the way of any hop addition etc. when I do get one of these home.

On 2/16/2022 at 11:41 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Try 'Ersatz' @Tone boy Toner...  not a bad explanation of the word see below (off Merriam Webster word definition website)

Mate if you are keen on a Kölsch then I reckon you are gunna hafta try the proper yeast as it does some beautiful things that it only can...

Of course you can use Notty - but then you are making an Ale that really is not a Kölsch (IMHO) (H=humble)

I think somehow too - be interested to hear what @MitchBastard and @Greenyinthewestofsydney who are schooled/skilled up in Kölsching - that there is also something quirky too about the nice Kölsch mouthfeel/Brew texture as well - but I have been wrong before.

Anyway...  I am sure Notty would make a lovely Ale w same malts and hops... and whether it could be an Ersatz Kölsch or a Faux Kölsch I guess you would have to do a side-by-side comparison ; )

HTH and does not confusticate things further  : )

Definition of ersatz

being a usually artificial and inferior substitute or imitation

Ersatz can be traced back in English to the 1870s, but it really came into prominence during World War I. Borrowed from German, where Ersatz is a noun meaning "substitute," the word was frequently applied as an adjective in English to modify terms like coffee (made from acorns) and flour (made from potatoes)—ersatz products resulting from the privations of war.

Not sure what the exact question is but I’m guessing it’s something to do with making a kolsch with notty yeast?

I’ve never used notty before but I’d just go ahead and guess it wouldn’t be kolsch like. Kolsch beers are somewhat unique but familiar at the same time. Not quite an ale, not quite a lager. Good luck trying to find a decent commercial version. 
I look at them as beer that are ales that display lager like qualities. Super crisp and clear but have ale like esters. The esters are also somewhat unique.  I’ve used lallemand koln yeast and always get pear and bubblegum from it. It’s hard to imagine but it’s there when you notice it. My recent batch using k97 is more of a citrus Type deal. I think I prefer the k97, seems to prop up the malt a little more and accentuates the crispness. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Would it be fair to say that this AG lager wort may have been bittered with POR or some such?

Given the Kegland recipes it is used in, I would say you are probably right.

As far as dry hops, mmm?  You might have to try one naked first.  See how harsh the bitterness is and dry hop from there.  If the bitterness is not too harsh, maybe dry hop with some classic lager hops.  If the bitterness is PoR harsh, maybe try a hop tea addition with PoR to replicate a late boil boil or hopstand addition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well  my hop slam ipa   extract started at 1.052   and yesterday  26 hours after pitching  kveik  voss yeast  it was already sitting @ 1.018

this morning it was 1.014  so decided bang  i'll dry hop  25grams of Sequoia +25 grams  of mosaic  

sunday i will most like cold crash this  and keg on wednesday   and will carb up  and condition  while i am in Tassie  for 10 days..

cant believe really how quick this yeast goes to town    

and the wort  is starting to smell  very nice indeed  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Well  my hop slam ipa   extract started at 1.052   and yesterday  26 hours after pitching  kveik  voss yeast  it was already sitting @ 1.018

this morning it was 1.014  so decided bang  i'll dry hop  25grams of Sequoia +25 grams  of mosaic  

sunday i will most like cold crash this  and keg on wednesday   and will carb up  and condition  while i am in Tassie  for 10 days..

cant believe really how quick this yeast goes to town    

and the wort  is starting to smell  very nice indeed  

I used Kveik in my last Coopers Pale Ale SG was 1.050 & finished 1.010 after 14 days, it also smelt good & was a great colour.

It was the first I used this yeast & I am going to use it in the Real Ale as well. It certainly does get going fast. 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I used Kveik in my last Coopers Pale Ale SG was 1.050 & finished 1.010 after 14 days, it also smelt good & was a great colour.

It was the first I used this yeast & I am going to use it in the Real Ale as well. It certainly does get going fast. 

yeah i fermented this at 35°c   which this yeast is designed for .

not sure what your temp you fermented at with this beast of a yeast 

yes very quick  acting and the good thing is   you dont have to get  your wort down to 20°c to pitch yeast 

i wont be leaving my hop slam for 14 days   but  will be that by the time i get back from the apple isle 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

yeah i fermented this at 35°c   which this yeast is designed for .

not sure what your temp you fermented at with this beast of a yeast 

yes very quick  acting and the good thing is   you dont have to get  your wort down to 20°c to pitch yeast 

i wont be leaving my hop slam for 14 days   but  will be that by the time i get back from the apple isle 

I pitched at 24c & brewed it at ambient in the brew room it was constant at  22-25c. 

• Like 3

Aaaaaah the long awaited Kölsch....  took till 60 hours to get going...  Lallemand say 24-36 at 20degC so maybe with the dry yeast being a bit old and tired plus cool temps initially at 15 degC.... it just took ages.  I was concerned at 36 hours and let the temp rise to 17 deg C and at 48 hours I could see just a few bubble patterns...  add in 12 hours and a nice thin creamy top appeared.  Now a bit more than three days in - it is working really nicely and smelling great but at approx 17 deg inn the BrewFridge: (does look a bit dark but it's a lighting issue plus suspended solids should hopefully be more golden when it ends up in the keg 👍)

image.thumb.png.d57b1f6c6b865e2e5120ab0f36b050f9.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I look at them as beer that are ales that display lager like qualities. Super crisp and clear but have ale like esters. The esters are also somewhat unique.  I’ve used lallemand koln yeast and always get pear and bubblegum from it. It’s hard to imagine but it’s there when you notice it. My recent batch using k97 is more of a citrus Type deal. I think I prefer the k97, seems to prop up the malt a little more and accentuates the crispness. 

Beautiful... truly spoken @MitchBastard Mitchie a good Kölsch is a beautiful thing.

Mate what temp did you do your Lally Dry K yeast at?

-------

@Tone boy Toner - think that both Mitchie and I are sending the same message - go for Notty why not... but you won't end up with a Kölsch per se as there is something unique that the special yeast imparts.  But hey -- a Notty Ale would be nice too... I quite like the 'Pseudo Lager' thing with a cool ferment on US05 with Lagery Malts n Hops...  makes for clean easy drinking with nice malts and gentle hops... 

-------

Brewing: The opportunities are endless haha! 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

mate I do the lally at 16

@MitchBastard Mate I started out at 15 (toooo chillly) and then I went to 17 (tooooo hot) and now you tell me I should be at 16....Phaaaaar Out I just can't seem to get it right can I? 🤣

[Haha Gold mate - I will do this fella at 17 and then try 16 another time - ta 😋]

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@MitchBastard Mate I started out at 15 (toooo chillly) and then I went to 17 (tooooo hot) and now you tell me I should be at 16....Phaaaaar Out I just can't seem to get it right can I? 🤣

[Haha Gold mate - I will do this fella at 17 and then try 16 another time - ta 😋]

I rekon she’ll come up sweet mate. Doubt there would be much of a difference in 1 degree…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1