Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

23 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

The MJ,s Juicy Session IPA near pushed the lid off whilst fermenting.

Cant fit the extra part onto the fermenter due to room.

I have brewed this many times but never have I seen it go this crazy, anyway it looks like it will be a lively brew. 

Bit of action in Ipswich apart from the floods, what yeast did you use mate & was that AG or Wort kit ? Looks like it will be a winner.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bit of action in Ipswich apart from the floods, what yeast did you use mate & was that AG or Wort kit ? Looks like it will be a winner.

Cheers

Hey @Classic Brewing Co, it was the MJ,s Juicy IPA Pouch, not AG. 

‘Yeast was MJ,s M44 US West Coast Yeast.

Currently fermenting @19.5 degrees.

And yes it’s still pi$$ing down in beloved Ipswich. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hey @Classic Brewing Co, it was the MJ,s Juicy IPA Pouch, not AG. 

‘Yeast was MJ,s M44 US West Coast Yeast.

Currently fermenting @19.5 degrees.

And yes it’s still pi$$ing down in beloved Ipswich. 

It's only because I saw the MJ packaging on top of the FV, do you own a boat ? it may pay to get one if you want to go anywhere, not meant to be snarky, I watched the News & saw how much you guys have had, it must be pain but what can you do ? 

Brew sounds good anyway, Cheers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It's only because I saw the MJ packaging on top of the FV, do you own a boat ? it may pay to get one if you want to go anywhere, not meant to be snarky, I watched the News & saw how much you guys have had, it must be pain but what can you do ? 

Yeah no boat, a lot of people flooded up here though.

‘Daughter can’t get home, she’s stuck in Sydney. 
‘Roads out of Ipswich cut off, train lines flooded.

‘Getting water running through my garage, yard is a swimming pool, but my 3 brews fermenting are as sound as a pound baby. 😜😜

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Our main water supply, Lake Wivenhoe is currently sitting at 177% capacity. On Friday morning, it sat on 59%. It's about 1tl above full. If this rain doesn't stop today, Brisbane will go under water again, just like in 2011. 

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

Our main water supply, Lake Wivenhoe is currently sitting at 177% capacity. On Friday morning, it sat on 59%. It's about 1tl above full. If this rain doesn't stop today, Brisbane will go under water again, just like in 2011. 

Yes I know, we were safe in 2011, just cut off from everything. 
Supposed to fly out back to work Tuesday but roads are closed, train lines down, airport closed.

Might have an extra couple of days at home I think. 
How are you travelling in your neck of the woods @Aussiekraut

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yes I know, we were safe in 2011, just cut off from everything. 
Supposed to fly out back to work Tuesday but roads are closed, train lines down, airport closed.

Might have an extra couple of days at home I think. 
How are you travelling in your neck of the woods @Aussiekraut

We're ok. Back and front yards are underwater, the side of the house has about 10cm water and the overflowing pool is feeding it all, combined with the water coming down from the neighbour. It's quite full on. Not sure if I can get to work though tomorrow. Coopers Plains is in a flood plain and apparently they have started closing parts of Beaudesert and Grenard roads. As long as we don't lose power at the office, I can work from home. And it will be massively busy tomorrow, I know that. 

Stay safe

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

It certainly puts it in perspective, I've been annoyed because I can't put the washing out on the clothesline and because the pre-season footy game got called off.

iboozer, your carapils overnight fridge steep, how much water do you use, and do you need to boil it after or just add it to the can goop?

13 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

It certainly puts it in perspective, I've been annoyed because I can't put the washing out on the clothesline and because the pre-season footy game got called off.

iboozer, your carapils overnight fridge steep, how much water do you use, and do you need to boil it after or just add it to the can goop?

How much grain are you steeping? 
And yes boil it after the cold steep 

7 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

he said to do 250-300g, how long would you need to boil for

Hey T2K I would go for about 2-3 litres if you can. You only need to boil for 5 minutes or so to sterilize it. You can boil for longer if you’re adding hops but you might need more water so it doesn’t boil dry. 
For a steep I sometimes just boil for 5 minutes then turn off the heat and add flameout hops, and let that sit with the lid on for 20 minutes. Then strain into the FV. Usually I put it in an ice bath to cool down if it’s a bigger volume of water 👍

• Like 3

On 2/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, iBooz2 said:

I have mentioned this many times before, if you want a head and head retention on a K & K brew like the original series Coopers range, WW lager etc. its mandatory to do a cold overnight steep of milled Carapils - 250 - 300 g in a muslin cloth or small BIAB bag.  It will not change the flavour very much at all, maybe just add some graininess like that you get with AG brewing.

Yes, I will be doing this but some info on the need to boil or not will be useful.

thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, terminal2k said:

Grain weight? But I'd def boil the stuff after the steep for 10 minutes or so.

OK Brew Day, I just shot out for supplies only to Big W - fairly limited range but nevertheless something to put a Fermenter to work. I trying to add a wider variety to my stocks, next I will do a Stout & re-visit Bootmaker Pale Ale. 

I have never used Hops in a Dark Ale but for the English Bitter I would have rather had either Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, Saaz but they only sell Galaxy, I am a bit reluctant to use it as the Bitter I thought was nicely hopped anyway.

20220228_133750.thumb.jpg.93b513f0c048ec4622f49a74875021b3.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 5

Bottle and Brew Day:

Bottled a Coopers Draught I think! I keep track Of everything I do and somehow missed this brew, Looked in the brew fridge the other day and the App said there was only two but fridge was showing three. Did a double brew and bottle Sunday, must have missed the recording of the brew! slack.

Put a Coopers Real Ale in as a dirty batch on what I think is the Draught.

1K LDM the end of a bag of Brewing Sugar about 120g.

30g of Saphir Hops, Let them sit for an hour then strained them into the wort.

Cupboard is full again, all caught up.

Just need to get some age into the Brews.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

must have missed the recording of the brew! slack.

For what it's worth the first thing I do on brew day is grab the Diary & record everything ( you saw it ) it's a good habit to get in to & really not much more work but that's only my opinion. I find it works for me as well as eliminating any possible chance of bottling the wrong brew at the wrong time also to review the hops used or which adjuncts you used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, Aussiekraut said:

If this rain doesn't stop today, Brisbane will go under water again, just like in 2011. 

Truly spoken @Aussiekraut AK and some may further remember 1974... and then there are plenty outside of that see the BoM record...  might be a good reason some Queenslanders (the ol raised Qld timber house) are built are built on decent height posts hey... and probably not such a good idea to build a granny flat underneath, then sell the sell the place as a 5 bedroomer and buggggger off to higher ground... guess it's a case of buyer beware unfortunately Bris does cop a decent Wet from time to time.   Short memory must have a... 

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/fld_history/brisbane_history.shtml

But the recent 'record breaking' rain event over three days claim from Weatherzone of 677mm

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/677-mm-in-three-days-breaks-brisbane-rainfall-record/536318

is a bit quiet compared to what we copped in Mackay in 2008 day after Valentine's Day 15 Feb... my memory was of 639mm from 0300 to 0900... a fair whack in six hours... the rain noise on the tin roof was pretty loud...

Which then again is pretty tame compared to further up north again...  though Mackay copped it too with a King Tide from memory helping exacerbate the rainfall runoff floodwaters impacts. 

https://coastadapt.com.au/sites/default/files/case_studies/STDP1_Extreme_rainfall_in_Mackay.pdf

Compare that all to Bellenden Kerr (Mtn in NQ) 12 metres annual rainfall record it all seems a bit tame yet again.

Anyway come what may yer gotta feel sorry for those poor buggggggers who are getting impacted... helped a mate rip up the carpets and clean all the mud out in Mackay back then and it was no fun. .. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Truly spoken @Aussiekraut AK and some may further remember 1974... and then there are plenty outside of that see the BoM record...  might be a good reason some Queenslanders (the ol raised Qld timber house) are built are built on decent height posts hey... and probably not such a good idea to build a granny flat underneath, then sell the sell the place as a 5 bedroomer and buggggger off to higher ground... guess it's a case of buyer beware unfortunately Bris does cop a decent Wet from time to time.   Short memory must have a... 

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/fld_history/brisbane_history.shtml

But the recent 'record breaking' rain event over three days claim from Weatherzone of 677mm

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/677-mm-in-three-days-breaks-brisbane-rainfall-record/536318

is a bit quiet compared to what we copped in Mackay in 2008 day after Valentine's Day 15 Feb... my memory was of 639mm from 0300 to 0900... a fair whack in six hours... the rain noise on the tin roof was pretty loud...

Which then again is pretty tame compared to further up north again...  though Mackay copped it too with a King Tide from memory helping exacerbate the rainfall runoff floodwaters impacts. 

https://coastadapt.com.au/sites/default/files/case_studies/STDP1_Extreme_rainfall_in_Mackay.pdf

Compare that all to Bellenden Kerr (Mtn in NQ) 12 metres annual rainfall record it all seems a bit tame yet again.

Anyway come what may yer gotta feel sorry for those poor buggggggers who are getting impacted... helped a mate rip up the carpets and clean all the mud out in Mackay back then and it was no fun. .. 

2011 was bigger but we're not done just yet. The rain might have stopped but there are still almost all dams making up the water grid spilling. Wivenhoe is going down but it is still almost a tera litre above full and that is scary. If we survive tonight without hassles, we'll probably be fine, besides those poor people who got really flooded. We still have all the water in the catchment area and what is coming down from the Toowoomba ranges filling up the dams. But Wivenhoe is going down, which is encouraging. Unless things take a turn to the worse, we should be ok now.

• Like 1

First, Hope things ease up for your lot @kmar92 - I've been through floods and fires and even if you're not in the line of fire it can be devastating.

So I finally got my A-into-G and did some brewing.  I did my 1st ever FWK and FWK'd it up. 😄 Accidentally added 8L water instead of 4 so I added 500g LDME to compensate. 1st time I've used the krausen kollar for a beer, the FV was so full. Didn't need it as it turned out but better to have it and not need it than need it and have to mop the floor. 😄 

This was a Fresh3 IPA one from KL - was getting other stuff from them which was going to hit on the postage so for just a bit more postage I got the FWK.

Apart from that, I made a hops tea of 60g super pride to go in it and Kveik yeast - had a slurry from previous brew so divided that and made 2 starters and pitched them in the 2 brews.

I also did a base-model Real Ale, just RA with LDME. Apart from that, I used 300g light crystal warm steep, 30g cascade and 20g citra tea. Fridged at 35°. 

2 days!

2 bloody days and they are done - into CC this morning. I'll use finings tomorrow for a day then keg them.  Tasted and smelt good on the FG so have hopes for them.

Both brews are oversize for my usual so will be doing some bottling I think - or maybe just add the extra to a 3rd keg and have a mix? 😄 

I will say, the ease of use of the FWK makes it very appealing. 😄 And Kveik might just become my goto yeast unless I specifically want the 'English' style of brew from Nott.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

2011 was bigger but we're not done just yet. The rain might have stopped but there are still almost all dams making up the water grid spilling.

Wasn't the issue with 2011 that they thought the oversize dams would hold it all then when they had to let it go you got it all downriver at once? 

Have they been releasing as it happened this time?

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

First, Hope things ease up for your lot @kmar92 - I've been through floods and fires and even if you're not in the line of fire it can be devastating.

So I finally got my A-into-G and did some brewing.  I did my 1st ever FWK and FWK'd it up. 😄 Accidentally added 8L water instead of 4 so I added 500g LDME to compensate. 1st time I've used the krausen kollar for a beer, the FV was so full. Didn't need it as it turned out but better to have it and not need it than need it and have to mop the floor. 😄 

This was a Fresh3 IPA one from KL - was getting other stuff from them which was going to hit on the postage so for just a bit more postage I got the FWK.

Apart from that, I made a hops tea of 60g super pride to go in it and Kveik yeast - had a slurry from previous brew so divided that and made 2 starters and pitched them in the 2 brews.

I also did a base-model Real Ale, just RA with LDME. Apart from that, I used 300g light crystal warm steep, 30g cascade and 20g citra tea. Fridged at 35°. 

2 days!

2 bloody days and they are done - into CC this morning. I'll use finings tomorrow for a day then keg them.  Tasted and smelt good on the FG so have hopes for them.

Both brews are oversize for my usual so will be doing some bottling I think - or maybe just add the extra to a 3rd keg and have a mix? 😄 

I will say, the ease of use of the FWK makes it very appealing. 😄 And Kveik might just become my goto yeast unless I specifically want the 'English' style of brew from Nott.

Long Time no hear @Journeyman good to see you are back making beer 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1