Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

13 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

My first attempt using Kveik was with a beer I threw together to get a high ABV content to see how the yeast worked. The beer was awful but probably would have been without Kveik. The second one was a plain old Coopers lager that came with a new FV I bought. Just plain old lager kit, and I think the BE that came with it. It fermented like hell but the beer was awful. The third and so far last attempt I did just what you have suggested: A split batch of a single hop all grain pale with Vic Secret. Half was done with US05 and half with Lally Voss. That way I could compare directly and again, I didn't like the Kveik version.

I don't seem to have much luck with it but also never used it at very high temps. I have another pack somewhere and may be trying another batch at some point but so far, I can do without it. Another thing I noticed is that Kveik beers don't seem to clear up for me. Even after weeks in the bottle, it was a murky affair. 

I know people sing its praises and make awesome beers with it but somehow, Kveik and I don't seem to be compatible. 

I have used Lallemand Voss Kviek quite a bit and I have had really good results with it, besides my latest brew. I usually ferment it under pressure and try and get it to 35° for the ferment, so yes sometimes it needs heating, and the results have been great. Lally say that it is a neutral yeast with some orange tones, I agree on the neutral part but I have never noticed orange tones. Under pressure, it has always fermented out very clear.

My latest brew though is very cloudy. It was an AG ale and I did not pressure ferment it, it was just fermented at atmospheric. It tastes fine but it is very cloudy for some reason. Just my experience and I hope it helps.

• Like 5

Just started the brewing season 2022,

got myself some Brigalow extract tins and after reading only negative reviews I will and changed them a bit.yesterday I started a Brigalow New, which I will dry hop later with some NZH-107 Hop Pellets T-90.

Today I started a Spirit of Anzac Ale and used the leftover light dry malt and dextrose in a Brigalow Munich Lager to which I also added some roasted malt and EK Golding hop tea (and a touch of maple syrup).Also changed the yeast to a packet I had in my fridge, I think it’s some English Ale yeast Let’s see how it will turn out

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Just started the brewing season 2022,

got myself some Brigalow extract tins and after reading only negative reviews I will and changed them a bit.yesterday I started a Brigalow New, which I will dry hop later with some NZH-107 Hop Pellets T-90.

Today I started a Spirit of Anzac Ale and used the leftover light dry malt and dextrose in a Brigalow Munich Lager to which I also added some roasted malt and EK Golding hop tea (and a touch of maple syrup).Also changed the yeast to a packet I had in my fridge, I think it’s some English Ale yeast Let’s see how it will turn out

Some of the Brigalow cans are OK, I mainly use Coopers but hey if they are on special & in date I don't care if it's Mangrove Jack/Morgan's whatever. Being experimental with Malts, Hops also helps a lot as they need a boost up. Cheers.

• Like 3

I have two batches in at the moment. My pilsner I dropped down to lagering temperature yesterday, and the pale ale in the other one is ready to test FG, which I might do this morning before I go to golf. If it's finished which it should be, I'll drop it down for a cold crash tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Like 5

Currently I have the brew I made yesterday in my FV. https://community.diybeer.com/topic/16504-brew-day-watcha’-got-eh-2022/?do=findComment&comment=259201 

The MJ 54 is going off like a frog in a sock.  For those unfamiliar with it, It is a high temp ferment lager yeast. Did an overpitch of fresh slurry from the last brew.  It has been sitting in the 25 litre FV @ 10psi and 2c for a week after kegging.  When ready to pitch I gave the FV a swirl and used a party gun to fill a 1 litre SS jug which the pitch rate calculator said was a 600 billion cell over pitch.  I poured that in the my 50 litre  FV as it was filling.  The brew was at 26c and added 10psi to the FV and put in the ferment chamber set at 22c recommended temps are 18-20c.  Then took a sample for my OG and placed that in a cool dark cupboard in the house. Within 2 hours the FV was at 15psi and blowing off. This morning  the sample in the house was finished and the blow off on the FV spunding valve is going nuts.  I had been told by brewers from the shop and the local brewers club that it is a beast but this is nuts for a lager yeast.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, it'll be good to have some brews on tap again. Hopefully this time I can keep it up. I was gonna do a brew on Saturday but the monthly medal was more important 😂 probably do it next weekend.

Golf and drinking go hand in hand..

• Like 2

Got my mongrel pale ale in the FV. 

It’s really going well this morning, actually there was a small amount of airlock activity last night. This surprised me as I thought Verdant IPA might be a slow starter. Or was that a slow finisher…can’t remember!

E7691AB5-C175-4439-BD9D-A1E413076DB4.thumb.jpeg.7d18bc55d4039b726d5623a6412b7ffd.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah although I usually wait til after the round to get on it. I hate playing crap 🤣

Me too, don't like to drink when playing

but it doesn't seem to change the Crap rounds (Like Today!)

After beer helps..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

After beer helps..

When I play golf I take all the clubs out of the bag so I’ve got more room for longnecks 👌🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

After beer helps..

I could have done with a few beers during the weekend's rounds, apart from a few good patches here and there most of it was dross... Oh well, maybe a range session or two through the week will get the swing back for this weekend's rounds. I do have a new set of wedges in the bag too which will take a bit of getting used to. 

I always seem to play better when I eat leftover pizza before the round for some reason 🤷

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

After beer helps..

nothing like taking a 5l keg of homebrew around on the back of the cart

bloody golf   they should ban this game around the world 
it does my head in but each week it gets me back out there

mind you i am not as serious i once was  , my practice happens on the day

arm ups - need 2 pints for this  filled with golden liquid

then i think a swing in the nets but thats  wasting great shots
then get on the practice green  for a putt , same as swinging the club wasting great putts

looking forward to this Saturday   we have a 1 man ambrose   , thats gotta be a fun game

• Like 2

1 man Ambrose? Wouldn't that just be a normal round? 😂

I'll usually get there 45 minutes before I tee off, get on the practice green mainly to work out the speed, spend 10 minutes or so on chipping, five minutes or so in the nets just to loosen up. Having had half a dozen or so lessons now, I have a good idea what I'm trying to do with my swing, and what my usual fault is. 

My coach told me last lesson he has a bet on with someone else at the club that I'll get down to a certain handicap by the end of this year. He didn't tell me who or what the number is, but my own goal is 9. It started at 20.4 after blowing out a little, a month in I've got it to 17.8. 

And back on topic briefly, I will be throwing some dry hops into the pale ale today, then dropping it for a cold crash tomorrow

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'll usually get there 45 minutes before I tee off, get on the practice green mainly to work out the speed, spend 10 minutes or so on chipping, five minutes or so in the nets just to loosen up. Having had half a dozen or so lessons now, I have a good idea what I'm trying to do with my swing, and what my usual fault is. 

My coach told me last lesson he has a bet on with someone else at the club that I'll get down to a certain handicap by the end of this year. He didn't tell me who or what the number is, but my own goal is 9. It started at 20.4 after blowing out a little, a month in I've got it to 17.8. 

And back on topic briefly, I will be throwing some dry hops into the pale ale today, then dropping it for a cold crash tomorrow

Sounds like your golf is going OK Otto I am sure you will achieve your goal, practice, patience & determination are key here, good luck.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

yeah called stroke (monthly medal)  

i'm getting to old to chase single figures  but i wish you luck in the journey 
my coach said to me what i taught you do not try to do it in a game let it come natuarlly 
all i try to do in my game is bogie golf   and if that works it works

i enjoy  the comp side of it but more to enjoy the company of my mates 

• Like 2