Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

2 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i say it is done mate   kveik  is pretty quick

totally and utterly agree with you. but still 30c + in the house (love these old melbourne rentals, so not designed for the melbourne climate), i can live with doing the dry hop on day 4 - public holiday 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stickers said:

totally and utterly agree with you. but still 30c + in the house (love these old melbourne rentals, so not designed for the melbourne climate), i can live with doing the dry hop on day 4 - public holiday 🙂

tell me about  mate  my rental in vic was phar laps paddock  even though it can be cold iin winter but come summer and only air con is living room its a sweat box 

its 1 reason why i am not brewing at the mo  even though i need to  it way to hot and watch a A.g in in the heat of the day 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

So is Nottingham, my airlock went berserk & a large krausen developed within 12-24 hours, after 3 days or so silence but lovely colour.

kveik you wont get any quicker  in my opinion    kveik  can be fermented with in 3 days and can be drinking that beer with in 5 days if kegged  (i know Phil you dont keg)

nottingham  is a great yeast but doesnt ferment as quick as kviek  ,  kveik is a beast and is designed for high temp brewing   where you could ferment it at 35°c  if you wanted to    most brew this yeast around 30°c to get the best out of it .

you want to see  the krausen  in kveik   its 1 yeast that you will need blow off tube or your krausen coller in the new style coopers fermenters..

dont get me wrong  nottingham is a great neutral yeast and i do use this yeast  inways i think i prefer it over us-05

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

kveik you wont get any quicker  in my opinion    kveik  can be fermented with in 3 days and can be drinking that beer with in 5 days if kegged  (i know Phil you dont keg)

nottingham  is a great yeast but doesnt ferment as quick as kviek  ,  kveik is a beast and is designed for high temp brewing   where you could ferment it at 35°c  if you wanted to    most brew this yeast around 30°c to get the best out of it .

you want to see  the krausen  in kveik   its 1 yeast that you will need blow off tube or your krausen coller in the new style coopers fermenters..

dont get me wrong  nottingham is a great neutral yeast and i do use this yeast  inways i think i prefer it over us-05

I haven't used kveik at this stage although @iBooz2has sent me a few packets & I will be putting it to good use.  In fact I was researching it & came up with this so keen to play around with it.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipes-collection/4-homebrew-recipes-made-with-kveik-yeast/

I still like US-05 but I will be trying a lot of others this year as well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mickep said:

what would the best method be to get the new wort ( Eclipse) down to an acceptable temp....just time and a cold bath or similar?

I put water in plastic take away food type containers, freeze,  then drop in the FV, easy and it works.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mickep said:

what would the best method be to get the new wort ( Eclipse) down to an acceptable temp....just time and a cold bath or similar?

mate  

get a heap of wet towls and cover the fermenter with in the bath tub  get a fan blowing it will kind of act like a air conditioner
and will cool the wort and keep the temp

or fill bath up with water so the fermenter dont float  with wet towels over the fv    and get a few bags of ice to chuck in the bath tub

or ice bricks to make it cheaper and to keep the ice lasting longer use Salt in your icemaking  it will last awhile

I wouldnt put ice blocks inside the fv with your wort,  1 you will dilute and becuase of the cold ice you may scare your yeast beack to sleep

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I put water in plastic take away food type containers, freeze,  then drop in the FV, easy and it works.

i probably would do this myself 

1 you will dilute the wort

2 did you boil the water before freezing and put them in sanitized containers

3. dropping ice  into the fv and wort you could shock that yeast back in to sleep mode .

yes it will work  but i think there is some risks 

i could be wrong but just my thoughts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things to think about, 

generally I only need about 500ml of frozen water and I haven't filled the FV to final amount yet.

Yesterday after mixing my K&K temp was 28, dropped in the ice, stirred about, topped it off to 23L

Temp dropped to 26 chucked in the yeast and put the FV in the fridge.

Would not have thought that would hurt the yeast

Water was from the filtered tap, which is better than the water I use to brew the beer, filter is upstairs next to the fridge, I brew downstairs, just tap water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

mate  

get a heap of wet towls and cover the fermenter with in the bath tub  get a fan blowing it will kind of act like a air conditioner
and will cool the wort and keep the temp

or fill bath up with water so the fermenter dont float  with wet towels over the fv    and get a few bags of ice to chuck in the bath tub

or ice bricks to make it cheaper and to keep the ice lasting longer use Salt in your icemaking  it will last awhile

I wouldnt put ice blocks inside the fv with your wort,  1 you will dilute and becuase of the cold ice you may scare your yeast beack to sleep

Thanks Oz mate, onto it thanks heaps

Just put down PB2's toucan stout recipe - with a slight adjustment.

Coopers OS  Stout tin 1.7kg

Coopers OS Dark Ale tin 1.7kg

500g dex- original recipe uses 1kg - I am a bit short on dex at the moment. 

Both kit yeasts

23 litres.

A tried and trusted brew, should be good for winter.

• Like 4

IMG_9085.thumb.jpg.9f063fee3da96bb202d07c33a213a87b.jpg

had a second pack of kveik voss and last week i was able to add a couple of cans of the infamous woolworths lager to my online shopping order. so today i whipped up a quick toucan of cooper's canadian blonde and woolworths lager (along with 350g of light dry malt i had hanging around), rehydrated a pack of KV and boom. 4 hours later..

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I haven't used kveik at this stage although @iBooz2has sent me a few packets & I will be putting it to good use.  In fact I was researching it & came up with this so keen to play around with it.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipes-collection/4-homebrew-recipes-made-with-kveik-yeast/

I still like US-05 but I will be trying a lot of others this year as well.

@Classic Brewing Co , If I were you I would not be playing around with any new un-tried recipes.  My advice is to brew one that you are very familiar with, perhaps your favourite K & K mix to make one of your best pale ales because doing it this way you will only be changing one variable - the yeast to Kveik.  Then at the end of the day on taste test you will know what this yeast does or does not do for your beer and then you can go forward from there.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Classic Brewing Co , If I were you I would not be playing around with any new un-tried recipes.  My advice is to brew one that you are very familiar with, perhaps your favourite K & K mix to make one of your best pale ales because doing it this way you will only be changing one variable - the yeast to Kveik.  Then at the end of the day on taste test you will know what this yeast does or does not do for your beer and then you can go forward from there.

Yes Al I understand & I appreciate your comment, I would only be doing Pales - Bootmaker, Pale/Real Ale etc, I was merely looking around so all is good, I will report on my findings, Cheers.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

My first attempt using Kveik was with a beer I threw together to get a high ABV content to see how the yeast worked. The beer was awful but probably would have been without Kveik. The second one was a plain old Coopers lager that came with a new FV I bought. Just plain old lager kit, and I think the BE that came with it. It fermented like hell but the beer was awful. The third and so far last attempt I did just what you have suggested: A split batch of a single hop all grain pale with Vic Secret. Half was done with US05 and half with Lally Voss. That way I could compare directly and again, I didn't like the Kveik version.

I don't seem to have much luck with it but also never used it at very high temps. I have another pack somewhere and may be trying another batch at some point but so far, I can do without it. Another thing I noticed is that Kveik beers don't seem to clear up for me. Even after weeks in the bottle, it was a murky affair. 

I know people sing its praises and make awesome beers with it but somehow, Kveik and I don't seem to be compatible. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

My first attempt using Kveik was with a beer I threw together to get a high ABV content to see how the yeast worked. The beer was awful but probably would have been without Kveik. The second one was a plain old Coopers lager that came with a new FV I bought. Just plain old lager kit, and I think the BE that came with it. It fermented like hell but the beer was awful. The third and so far last attempt I did just what you have suggested: A split batch of a single hop all grain pale with Vic Secret. Half was done with US05 and half with Lally Voss. That way I could compare directly and again, I didn't like the Kveik version.

I don't seem to have much luck with it but also never used it at very high temps. I have another pack somewhere and may be trying another batch at some point but so far, I can do without it. Another thing I noticed is that Kveik beers don't seem to clear up for me. Even after weeks in the bottle, it was a murky affair. 

I know people sing its praises and make awesome beers with it but somehow, Kveik and I don't seem to be compatible. 

That's interesting, this will be the first time with it for me so I will have to wait & see, Lately I have noticed a hell of a difference to kit yeasts & say US-05 or currently Nottingham so I am looking forward to trying Kveik.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I am sitting on the fence regarding Lally Voss Kveik and leaning toward jumping off the Kveik bandwagon.  I have only used it twice so far.  Once in a recent Simcoe hopped Pale Ale with about 300g of Wheat Malt.  It tastes fine.  However, it is hazy-as.  I added Gelatine finings once the FV was cold crashing.  Also chucked in Polyclar.  Still it is very murky.

The second is a hoppy Amber Ale I will probably keg tonight.  It seems to smell okay and the samples I have taken taste okay.  However, again it looks very murky.  This one I fined with Isinglass and Polyclar.  I was encouraged to use Kveik in the Amber Ale because after  I harvested the Kveik from the Pale Ale, the the liquid in the mason jars cleared up really well just sitting in the fridge.

I think if I wanted a hazy beer, I would be pretty happy with the Lally Voss Kveik.  But in the above two cases, the beers should not be hazy.  The 300g of wheat malt in these brews should not make them as hazy as they are.

The two things I would like to try with Kveik is under pitching and not fining (other than cold crashing).  I have heard some Youtubers saying to not use too much Kveik especially if it is in liquid form.  I also wonder if my fining regimes are a factor in making these beers hazy.  Kveik is a different kind of yeast and may not react to finings like other yeasts.

• Like 3

The 1911 Carlsberg Pilsner on day 2 of CC and I will hold it at 2 C for another day or so then keg it up.  This WLP-850 yeast gets the job done without a big fuss or Krausen and appears to flocculate and settle out better than its "medium" tag on the White Labs website.   It's very well compacted on the bottom and I have not used any finings (other than kettle).  I will be using most of this trub to ferment out my Budweiser clone next week.  The last batch of 1911 CP was terrific and all I have done with this batch is a small dry hop of 25 g Haller Blanc to get the aroma in the glass to hold until the 4 weeks kegged when this beer hits its strides.

1911 Carlsburg Pilsner CC day 2 - resized.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

We need to bring in the maestro of the Kveik, @BlackSands into the discussion. His beers always seem to look extraordinary.

Agreed.  BS beers always look superb.

I have not used Kveik so no experience yet.  Too many recipes in the cube train and list is getting longer.  Maybe next summer will give Kveik a go.

• Like 1

IMG_9092.thumb.jpg.29efbfe81f73b5312ff53732cc2cdefb.jpg

kvieky 1 - started sunday, dry hopped wednesday, will keg it tomorrow (friday)

IMG_9091.thumb.jpg.c03c45e924062da82ac83a7596272fc4.jpg

kveiky 2 - started yesterday (wednesday), about 28 hours in. krausen has crashed, should be able to dry hop tomorrow (friday) to keg sunday.

and thus, my brew stocks will be replenished in one hot and sweaty week

• Like 2