Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yes, I just use the tin Yeast. R3427 Not sure what type that is.

I don't go through the Lager rituals,  just mix, leave for 7 days, at ambient temp then bottle.

At $8 a can, cheap brew and if she likes it, Win Win.

Sounds like a Coopers strain of yeast but there's no 3427 in Coopers product info page. There's a 3426 which is a lager and ale blend.

Like you say, $8 is a winner.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MUZZY said:
21 hours ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale, my go to, K&K with LDM and 200g of dextrose and 20g of Galaxy hops.

Woolies lager for the Wife, with 500g LDM, 100g of dextrose and 25g of Galaxy hops.

This Lager comes out nicely to the wife's taste, also lower in alcohol.

@DavidM, have you had a taste of the Woolies Lager? Wondering what your thoughts are if you have had a slurp.

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

@DavidM, have you had a taste of the Woolies Lager? Wondering what your thoughts are if you have had a slurp.

Yes I had a few mouth full, I'ts OK,

I make it weak with only 600g of ferment-able and a dry hop of Galaxy, for that fruity flavour.

not something you would be happy to drink regularly, the alcohol content is around 3%

It's what she wants.. Win Win

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, disgruntled said:

No it won't - acetic acid is not what you are after,

Lactic acid,  it is still bacterial fermentation and tastes like vinegar to me.  Not that I am knocking it. The thing about craft brewing there are plenty of brews some people love them and some don't like them.  Like the Captain and his dislike of the biggest selling style in the world, Lager.   Two of my least favorite styles are very popular right now, fruit sours and milk stouts.  

• Like 1

Hmm...... you could be on to something there @Marty_G, as my recent Pacific Summer Ale does have a sour-ish taste but not like a vinegar-ish taste  I reviewed my brew day notes and this is the only batch which I did not pressure ferment and I had added 2 ml of Lactic acid to get mash PH down (rather than use Acidulated malt additions) which took it to a PH of 5.2 inadvertently (a bit too low) maybe because my rainwater PH had suddenly dropped from 7.4 to 6.2 in the last few months ??? (yes I re-calibrate my PH meter every time).  So it appears that may have been too much Lactic acid.

I am about to send a sample of my rainwater off to a water test lab to reveal its "everything" so I can plan my brews better.  So with the big variation of rainwater PH from winter to summer it looks like I will have to test it at least twice a year from now on.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

Philly sour is not, it is yeast and yeast only.

Yes.  Yeast that produces lactic acid during fermentation. 

X + Y = Lactic Acid - Maybe one of the scientists among us can explain what X and Y must or could be.  Does one of them have to be some type of bacteria or can it be a "safe" chemical, like what is probably in Philly Sour?

I am curious about the answer, but not really fussed.  I like what I get from Philly Sour and will use it again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I reviewed my brew day notes and this is the only batch which I did not pressure ferment and I had added 2 ml of Lactic acid to get mash PH down (rather than use Acidulated malt additions) which took it to a PH of 5.2 inadvertently (a bit too low) maybe because my rainwater PH had suddenly dropped from 7.4 to 6.2 in the last few months ??? (yes I re-calibrate my PH meter every time).  So it appears that may have been too much Lactic acid.

I wonder if it is a beer recipe software issue.  I only add lactic acid to the mash water.  I have only used as much lactic acid as Brewfather tells me to twice.  Both times my mash pH was under 5.  Since those two cases, I now add about half as much lactic acid.  The pH now always comes in the 5.4 - 5.2 range.  It got me wondering if the amount of lactic acid is meant to be added across the total mash and sparge water.   I guess the other thing could be like you report, Boozer:  My starting water pH is actually lower.

• Like 1

Bottled a Grain and Grape Aussie Draught FWK the was done with US-05 and put on another of the same with Nottingham. The sample tasted delicious and might be what I'm looking for as a staple go to, we'll see in a couple of weeks.
I also noticed they have it as the wort of the week sale this week for $40 so thought bugger it I'll grab just one more, even though the next two I have lined up are their Summer Ale kits 🙂 

So far I'm really enjoying brewing and drinking their FWK's

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Frosty Chop I used to like those when lived in Melbourne west myself. Great store onky downside the parking was skimp on that busy road. assuming same place in yarraville?

Nice 🙂 Yeah it's the same place on Whitehall St. I'm about 25 or 30 minutes from there and it's only $7.95 for one delivered so I don't bother driving.

Which FWK's did you like from there? I've only tasted the Fresh Ale so far which is very nice.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:26 PM, MUZZY said:

Do you just use the kit yeasts, David? Woolies lager isn't available in Adelaide where I am. I'm curious if they provide an actual lager yeast or an ale yeast with the tin.

I've since discovered the Woolies lager is available in Adelaide but just not at my local store. Maybe it's a small store. Anyway, I picked up a can from Gilles Plains today and I'm keen to give it a go. Only has a 5g yeast sachet so I think I'll add a spare 7g Coopers pale ale sachet (ale/lager blend). Going to mix it with 400g BE3 + 600g dextrose. I'll also add a bittering of Liberty hops to pimp it a little. Doing this recipe because they're ingredients I have just sitting around at the moment.

IMG20220122133801.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've since discovered the Woolies lager is available in Adelaide but just not at my local store. Maybe it's a small store. Anyway, I picked up a can from Gilles Plains today and I'm keen to give it a go. Only has a 5g yeast sachet so I think I'll add a spare 7g Coopers pale ale sachet (ale/lager blend). Going to mix it with 400g BE3 + 600g dextrose. I'll also add a bittering of Liberty hops to pimp it a little. Doing this recipe because they're ingredients I have just sitting around at the moment.

Good Luck with the Larger Muzzy, I will be interested to see what you think of it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good Luck with the Larger Muzzy, I will be interested to see what you think of it. 

I've seen a few reviews for it and it seems an underwhelming beer. None have rated it as bad just not great. One guy mentioned it was Iron Jack full strength. That's not ideal for my taste so I'm hoping the Liberty hops will spice it up a little. I reckon my son might like it. He's into Coronas, Superdry and other bland beers.

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've seen a few reviews for it and it seems an underwhelming beer. None have rated it as bad just not great. One guy mentioned it was Iron Jack full strength. That's not ideal for my taste so I'm hoping the Liberty hops will spice it up a little. I reckon my son might like it. He's into Coronas, Superdry and other bland beers.

Yeah I agree, I did taste it once 💩 pretty ordinary as I am not a fan of Great Northern/Iron Jack/TEDS & all those types, put up a Coopers Pale Ale next to them & they are Sh**

however our mate Barra seems to like it, some people just want beer meaning no disrespect. I, like your self like bold, fresh, hoppy even malty full flavoured beers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I agree, I did taste it once 💩 pretty ordinary as I am not a fan of Great Northern/Iron Jack/TEDS & all those types, put up a Coopers Pale Ale next to them & they are Sh**

however our mate Barra seems to like it, some people just want beer meaning no disrespect. I, like your self like bold, fresh, hoppy even malty full flavoured beers.

Yeah mate, everyone to their own. I'm hoping for something that will nicely wash down a BBQ snag on a hot day or as some call it "lawn mowing beer". The tin was only $7.55. It's not going to be a costly experiment, that's for sure.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah mate, everyone to their own. I'm hoping for something that will nicely wash down a BBQ snag on a hot day or as some call it "lawn mowing beer". The tin was only $7.55. It's not going to be a costly experiment, that's for sure.

That definitely is a point to consider, in these times of uncertainty , Covid etc at the end of the day there is only one thing better than no beer - a beer.

I have had some pretty ordinary beers at the Pub too !! & they are overpriced so I guess we shouldn't be so picky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That definitely is a point to consider, in these times of uncertainty , Covid etc at the end of the day there is only one thing better than no beer - a beer.

I have had some pretty ordinary beers at the Pub too !! & they are overpriced so I guess we shouldn't be so picky.

Yeah, this is sort of a bit of R&D for me. With my change of job just before Xmas I've taken a huge pay cut. At the moment my finances are going OK but I haven't had one of those periods yet where all the bills seem to arrive together. It's only a matter of time. I thought I might as well give the cheapo beer a try just in case it becomes my go-to when times get tougher.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

IMG20220122133801.jpg

Good luck with the brew, Your extra's might produce a good beer, we will see.

My Lager is meant to come out a bit bland and with a low ABV (around 3%)

This will be a much anticipated review....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good luck with the brew, Your extra's might produce a good beer, we will see.

My Lager is meant to come out a bit bland and with a low ABV (around 3%)

This will be a much anticipated review....

I need to thank you, David. I probably wouldn't have considered using the Woolies tin until I saw your earlier comment. I did a quick Google to try determine what R3427 yeast is but I couldn't find anything. Coopers have R3422 and R3424 which are lager yeasts and R3426 which is an ale/lager blend, so I'm taking a wild guess R3427 is also an ale/lager blend. Hence why I'm adding a spare R3426 sachet. That'll give me a 12g yeast total so it should chomp through the wort with ease.
The worst thing that can come from this is a possible average beer. The upside is I'll learn just a little more about extract brewing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I've since discovered the Woolies lager is available in Adelaide but just not at my local store. Maybe it's a small store. Anyway, I picked up a can from Gilles Plains today and I'm keen to give it a go. Only has a 5g yeast sachet so I think I'll add a spare 7g Coopers pale ale sachet (ale/lager blend). Going to mix it with 400g BE3 + 600g dextrose. I'll also add a bittering of Liberty hops to pimp it a little. Doing this recipe because they're ingredients I have just sitting around at the moment

I have brewed a few Woolager's now.  And they weren't to shabby.

I put similar extras in as you will. I brewed as a Lager and not an ale and it was certainly not a tipper.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, this is sort of a bit of R&D for me. With my change of job just before Xmas I've taken a huge pay cut. At the moment my finances are going OK but I haven't had one of those periods yet where all the bills seem to arrive together. It's only a matter of time. I thought I might as well give the cheapo beer a try just in case it becomes my go-to when times get tougher.

I totally understand, I retired nearly 2 years ago but lately as the Vacc percentages are climbing in all states I keep getting orders for Stubby Holders/Bar Mats etc & find myself on the computer all day laying out artwork, mind you not a complaint, it all comes in handy. I think the secret is to make hay while the sun shines meaning on the weeks you have that extra, stock up on  important stuff like brewing supplies 🤣 & of course other things.

• Like 2