Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

With consumption under constraint Brewery production is on the up with three "Brothers-in-arms" knocked out over three days end of last week now in the Larder at 16-18 degrees all backfill brews - as soon as the FV is emptied into the keg - the FV including yeast cake is backfilled with the new AG brew. 

Coopers FV w another Lally Munich Hefeweizen 🏴‍☠️  SS FV with Dubbya Larger (😜) new Gladfield Malts 🏴‍☠️ and an IPA in the PFV n🙂

The Temp Controlled Brew Fridge has a fresh Pilly in it so all the FVs are now ensconced in the Larder (fortunate not too hot yet) 👍

Cheers and Good Brewing All

image.thumb.png.8914b04d4339a2a849920dc105142c2e.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

P.S. There is beer fermenting under there really! And the SS FV is bubbling trust me! 😋

Aldi Pool Thermometer useful for Larder ambient temp monitoring ; ) 

image.thumb.png.bf8545e741c1c1de787379821284c13b.png

the united nations of fermentation 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Bastogne Belgium Ale Yeast really kicked into gear today the krausen really lifted compared to yesterday. I pitched it on Friday so didn’t expect such a rise today thought it would happened earlier. My garage smells like what I think is bananas so will be an interesting beer 🍻 

23D0E7FE-9DCB-4323-A086-1BAC2643CDC0.jpeg

CE180939-7A88-4AF9-A261-39965F1243D4.jpeg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, RDT2 said:

The Bastogne Belgium Ale Yeast really kicked into gear today the krausen really lifted compared to yesterday. I pitched it on Friday so didn’t expect such a rise today thought it would happened earlier. My garage smells like what I think is bananas so will be an interesting beer 🍻 

23D0E7FE-9DCB-4323-A086-1BAC2643CDC0.jpeg

CE180939-7A88-4AF9-A261-39965F1243D4.jpeg

The beer looks good but those Milton mangoes? 🙂 

• Haha 6

On 10/24/2021 at 1:37 PM, Barramullafella said:

Bottled a OS stout + BE3 + POR for 32 PETs. Smelled great and tasted not to foul either. Two weeks time will be taste test. So, looked over at the now empty FV and filled it with 25 lt water, OS lager + BE3 [equivalent] + POR. This is my fav' beer but using the equivalent of BE3 so see how that tastes. If I had BE3 on hand I would have used it. Cheers. 

Well not quite 2 weeks but close [11 days] I tasted the Stout and am very happy with the taste so far. Smooth, not overwhelming burnt taste, a slight hint of sarsaparilla in the background, and a lingering bitterness from the POR. I am looking forward to the 4 week taste test. Cheers. 

OS Stout 20211102.jpg

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:
On 10/24/2021 at 2:07 PM, Barramullafella said:

Bottled a OS stout + BE3 + POR for 32 PETs. Smelled great and tasted not to foul either. Two weeks time will be taste test. So, looked over at the now empty FV and filled it with 25 lt water, OS lager + BE3 [equivalent] + POR. This is my fav' beer but using the equivalent of BE3 so see how that tastes. If I had BE3 on hand I would have used it. Cheers. 

Well not quite 2 weeks but close [11 days] I tasted the Stout and am very happy with the taste so far. Smooth, not overwhelming burnt taste, a slight hint of sarsaparilla in the background, and a lingering bitterness from the POR. I am looking forward to the 4 week taste test. Cheers. 

Nice looking Stout Barra it will only get better. I switched to Dark Malt Extract for mine instead of BE3, I prefer it however I have used that as well, it is a very satisfying drink.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

OS Stout 20211102.jpg

Looking good. How many g's of hops did you use.

Thanks

Big couple of days in the Alicat brewery on Monday and Tuesday.

First up threw the 50 g Centennial and 50 g Citra dry hop into the OZDEVILS American pale ale batch in FV#1 which was at BD+3.  Pic was BD+1.

Kegged a 22 L litre batch of Pacific Summer Ale for my old man plus got 4 x 345 ml stubbies.  Pitched a second AG batch of Pacific Summer Ale into my Coopers FV #2 using the whole trub of Windsor yeast from the previous batch so hence a dirty batch as no cleaning.

Bottled the dregs remaining after filling two kegs of my big 44 L Royal lager batch out of the 58 L Kegmenter and got 4 x 345 ml stubbies then had to nut out how to harvest the yeast out of this big bad boy.  Once that challenge was overcome (got 1.5 L of Dubbya for next time) went about cleaning it out and after an overnight soak in SP and many good rinses (hot and cold) dropped some sanitiser in there and sloshed it all about ready for today’s pitch.

Today dropped the two previously made cubes of Leigh’s Lager into the 58 L Kegmenter only to discover my stored 400 ml of Diamond lager yeast was not right and it fizzed up and foamed out of the reagent jar when I opened it.  Smelled ok but I erred on the side of caution as I had plenty of new packs at hand (well so I thought).  Found I only had 3 sachets of the Diamond Lager Yeast when my software said 5.  Probably forgot to off-set a recipes inventory consumed a while back so shot myself in the foot.   

It was too late to try and do a starter so dropped in the 3 sachets worth and will hope for the best.  This works out to about 11 g under pitch but it’s not a huge gravity brew with a SG of 1.044 so hopefully these boys and girls get the job done.

OzDevils American Pale Ale DB+1 - resized.jpg

PSA BD+2 - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

On 9/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Put on a small batch of cider yesterday using homemade juice from apples from an old tree at our cottage. Fermenting with WLP095 slurry and a touch of MJ M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast.  After it ferments I will split the batch and then add pear juice and honey to one half while keeping the other half pure apple. 

I have had the old tree tested genetically and it is not a known variety, so it grew from a core someone discarded. I have named the tree Bear's Delight (because the bears love it). I am going to take apple samples to a couple of local cideries and try to convince them to grow Bear's Delight in their orchard. I think it will be a good cider variety as it has some tannins. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Christina. 

Update on this: after tasting them I ended up blending the two ciders together and it turned out great, best I have made. Bear's Delight is tannic (astringent) and since the blended cider was 70% Bear's Delight (remainder made up of pears and honey) the cider was astringent too. Took samples to two local cideries and both have decided to grow some Bear's Delight in their orchard. I am pretty pleased about that! 

But guess what? In the past few days the astringency has dropped off significantly! I did a little research and discovered that, just like hop fade can be an issue with beer, tannin fade can be an issue with cider! Who knew? Apparently tannins are quite unstable.

A lot of folks add sulphites to cider at juicing and prior to racking / packaging to stabilize it, but I did not. Next time I will. I guess it is a common practice for a reason. 😜 I like to learn things the hard way. 😆

Cheers,

Chrsitina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 7:11 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great minds think alike.  I brewed up a Hoegaarden on Saturday.  Put it into a cube to add to fermenter next weekend.  Fermentation chamber is occupied with a cold crashing Oktoberfest beer.

Ha ha, nice one @Shamus O'Sean, Brewfather instructions say to up the temp to 24 degrees for 2 days after the 8th day, of which I will adjust the Inkbird tomorrow. Will CC around Wednesday ready for kegging next weekend. Looking forward to this one, went to Dan’s to try and find a few stubbies of Hoegaarden to try, but my local did I not have any. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

On 11/1/2021 at 11:01 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

In my experience it will not verdont until you start your cold crash.  Until then, it hangs around longer than US-05.

IMG_8678.thumb.jpg.7797fd00cb5ac6880c967c2a46a3582a.jpg

day 13 and i have a mass the size of greenland left.

i can't cold crash with my setup, i'm giving it a few more days yet before testing for fg but i think this will end up a good brew in the end and worth the patience.

i've used verdant yeast a couple of times before and definitely bottled way too early on those occasions

• Like 4

After returning from our little jaunt around Tasmania and drinking more pub beer than usual, I reacquainted myself with the pleasures of draught beer and decided to mix together a Coopers Draught with BE2 and a bittering of Nugget hops. I probably should have used a lager yeast for a better result but I didn't have any on hand and I was quite keen to get a brew going as soon as possible because I was down to my last 75 long necks of drinkable stock. With warmer weather approaching I knew they wouldn't last too long.

IMG20211108083501.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

OZDEVIL's American Pale Ale recipe cold crashing and nearly ready to keg.  Removed the hop sock containing the 100 g of dry hops on Saturday and this batch smells just so amazing, could not stop sniffing the FV ha ha.  Its clearing up nicely too as the US-05 has almost completely dropped out and colour is looking fantastic.  Cannot wait to have a big sip when its in the keg and carbed up enough.

OzDevils American Pale Ale cold crashing - resized.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

OZDEVIL's American Pale Ale recipe cold crashing and nearly ready to keg.  Removed the hop sock containing the 100 g of dry hops on Saturday and this batch smells just so amazing, could not stop sniffing the FV ha ha.  Its clearing up nicely too as the US-05 has almost completely dropped out and colour is looking fantastic.  Cannot wait to have a big sip when its in the keg and carbed up enough.

OzDevils American Pale Ale cold crashing - resized.jpg

i'm glad you  are loving the smell   mate it certainly was a ripper brew when i brewed it

Al, i maybe seeing things it looks as if you have scratched that FV  in the top left hand corner of the pic

On 11/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, ozdevil said:

Al, i maybe seeing things it looks as if you have scratched that FV  in the top left hand corner of the pic

I was going to say that is the mark left by my tongue on the FV as it tried to get at that beer but no, Stickers is on the money,  Its the Coopers logo bit catching the light so all is good.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1