Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

the Morgans FV I use mostly, the tap is hard to turn.

Yes turning the screw type tap off and on would make the process inefficient and would not be worth the additional effort.

The Coopers Snap Tap is ideal for controlling the flow of beer through the wand.🍻

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Isn't the valve meant to keep extra oxygen from getting into the beer or something 

somewhere here on coopers page under facts it explains the bottle wand reduces the chances of oxidation by not splashing the beer around.  This is what would happen with a vigorous pour from tap without one. Save the oxygen for before fermenting 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just put this one on, another one where I am trying to use up odds and ends of hops. I really liked the last one I made, which was dry hopped with Cascades and El Dorado.  We will see how it pairs with Galaxy. This is the last of the El Dorado hops though. 

Galaxy & El Dorado APA
Dec 21, 2021

1.7kg Coopers Euro Lager
1.5kg light LME
650g Vienna 17%
300g Golden Promise malt 7.8%
200g Crystal 15L 5.2%
125g Carapils 3.3%
15g Mt Hood x 20 min
15g Motueka x 5 minutes
24g Motueka & 16g El Dorado @ FO for 20 minute hop stand
28g Galaxy DH
12g El Dorado DH
23L
7g Coopers Ale yeast & 7gm Euro Lager yeast & 1/4 tsp MJ20 Barvarian Wheat yeast dry pitched @ 20C. 

Added just a bit of pinch of MJ20 Barvarian Wheat yeast as an experiment. It is supposed to add a silky mouthfeel (glycerol), vanilla, and banana esters.  Got the idea from internet lore which speculates that Julius's Treehouse uses three dry yeasts, one of them being an unknown wheat yeast. 

Cheers,

Christina. 
  • Like 6

On 12/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, Pickles Jones said:

After filling hundreds of Grolsch swing tops over the years I finally removed the "valve" off the bottom of the Coopers bottling wand and used the tap to fill and stop.

I wish I had done it years ago cuts the filling time by about half if not more.

The extra waste is minimal.

my thoughts on this 

i see nothing wrong  with what your doing , however  where i see issues is  controlling the flow speed to stop the foaming  which will intoduce oxygen into the beer.   and also timing the shut off  the tap 

i think  that  you have more control by using the wand then   opening and shutting the tap each time you fill and you will increase your chances of  oxidizing your beer   as each pour will be different flow .

mind you  there is no escape from oxidizing  as there is very little you can do  to purge the oxygen out of the bottle 
but we should try to decrease that as much as we can 

i would prefer to use the wand  as it was intended  so i would be keeping that valve in and you  will get more of a consistent flow

• Like 3

On 8/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah I have an electric crane over the top of my keezer which I purchased from Bunnings, I tweaked my back last year loading a full 19L keg in there, so went and bought that with a sling, so I definitely will be using that with the 58L keg for sure. 

Did you literally go and buy and install a CRANE? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Did you literally go and buy and install a CRANE? 

alot of people do if they have the room and they may not just use them for the process of making beer

lifting  kegs into a freezer   specially 58l  would not be the easiest to lift up and over then down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Juicy AG NEIPA fermenting underway, around 10 hrs after dry pitch.

‘First time using the M66 Hophead Ale Yeast.

IMG_1621.MOV 6.12 MB · 0 downloads

609E7D19-D4C9-4E6F-AFEC-0AD31EE7520C.jpeg

mate if there was supposedly a video there it didnt play or allow us to download

you might want to upload it to youtube then share that link  as it will embedd itself to your post

• Like 1

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

Hi, @ozdevil works from my end 🤷‍♂️

I get the same problem. It happens when you upload directly from an iPhone. Apple creates MOV files, not MP4, so half the sites out there cannot handle them and since Apple pulled the Windows version of Quicktime for Windows off the market ages ago, most people can't play them either.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I get the same problem. It happens when you upload directly from an iPhone. Apple creates MOV files, not MP4, so half the sites out there cannot handle them and since Apple pulled the Windows version of Quicktime for Windows off the market ages ago, most people can't play them either.

Ah ha, cheers @Aussiekraut

• Like 1

Dropped my AG version of a Coopers Sparkling Ale into the 23 L fermenter tonight, Batch #70 AG #29 using reclaimed CCA yeast from previous batch of CIPA.

This one is a true all grain version and no added table sugar so will see how it goes when compared to my previous versions.  I noted that Coopers stopped adding sugar to their recipes / batches from 2010 on-wards so all grain it is.  I think I posted the recipe up in the Coopers Sparkling Ale thread or it might have been the brew day thread.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

Just got a positive COVID test through - all I had was a runny nose and was feeling a bit tired. Most of my Sunday mornings feel worse than that, but probably triple vacced made it milder than my average hangover. 

Looks like I'll be doing a bit of brewing over the next 10 days isolation ! Probably best hiding down the cellar - the kids are mighty p*ssed off with being locked up for 10 days.

I've ordered some more HB stuff in but with the hops and grains left over I can make a few brews. Quite looking forward to it TBH...

• Sad 5

@stquinto  maby we could move this over to another thread the one cee made? assuming your country majority vaxed like most countries including us?  should be no isolation that was whole point of getting vaccinated we are all supposed to.get it!

Edited by jamiek86
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@stquinto  maby we could move this over to another thread the one cee made? assuming your country majority vaxed like most countries including us?  should be no isolation that was whole point of getting vaccinated we are all supposed to.get it!

sorry mate for polluting a perfectly good thread 🤨

will check out the other one

19 hours ago, stquinto said:

Just got a positive COVID test through - all I had was a runny nose and was feeling a bit tired. Most of my Sunday mornings feel worse than that, but probably triple vacced made it milder than my average hangover. 

Looks like I'll be doing a bit of brewing over the next 10 days isolation ! Probably best hiding down the cellar - the kids are mighty p*ssed off with being locked up for 10 days.

I've ordered some more HB stuff in but with the hops and grains left over I can make a few brews. Quite looking forward to it TBH...

All the best mate, hang in there 👍 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think it's just short of 23 hours from pitching yeast going off like a frog in a sock. First use California Lager yeast I'll collect the slurry in case I like it. Goldenn sazz pills with perle can't wait to keg in few weeks. It was going hard like this at 4am when I woke up and thought I'd go for a walk with torch and check it.

20211231_103848.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 5

1 - Lawnmower Lager(ale) - Middy (I hope), 250gm LDM, 500gm BE1, hopped with Galaxy (I did an experiment with steeping for different times), OG 0039, didn't use the tin yeast (20 Litres) just the S05 to boost hops profile

2 - Real Ale - Middy - I love English Bitter but it is waaaaayyyyy too bitter for my guts. This is 15 Litres, with 250gm LDM, OG 1039, didn't use the tin yeast just the S04 to boost the malt profile

• Like 2

On 12/31/2021 at 10:45 AM, jamiek86 said:

Think it's just short of 23 hours from pitching yeast going off like a frog in a sock. First use California Lager yeast I'll collect the slurry in case I like it. Goldenn sazz pills with perle can't wait to keg in few weeks. It was going hard like this at 4am when I woke up and thought I'd go for a walk with torch and check it.

20211231_103848.jpg

...Gotta get me a fridge...

• Like 3