Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

Got the Belgian red ipa about to go to keg. Hopefully before the weekend. Looks great and tastes good too. My only gripe is that the abbey yeast i used isn’t as outspoken as I’d liked. I even held back on dry hop amounts so I didn’t mask what yeast character I could get.  Up front you got the simcoe, chinook and Columbus followed by   Some very pleasant but subtle pear, plum and raisin-esk like esters. The Belgian yeast got it close to 1.005 so she’s as dry as a nun but there is some light sweetness there too. 

F37B4C1A-A1B1-48D2-911C-A7A9AF178954.jpeg

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Got the Belgian red ipa about to go to keg. Hopefully before the weekend. Looks great and tastes good too. My only gripe is that the abbey yeast i used isn’t as outspoken as I’d liked. I even held back on dry hop amounts so I didn’t mask what yeast character I could get.  Up front you got the simcoe, chinook and Columbus followed by   Some very pleasant but subtle pear, plum and raisin-esk like esters. The Belgian yeast got it close to 1.005 so she’s as dry as a nun but there is some light sweetness there too. 

Used lallemand abbaye mate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

I reckon I’ll be knocking on your door Christmas Day to give you a hand with that lot Sainter 🤪

Maaate.... get yerself on a plane and I'll pick you up at Geneva airport 😉

Might want a winter coat or two, leave the shorts and thongs behind... 🤣

Edited by stquinto
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Awesome looking beer Mitch. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 9:06 PM, MitchBastard said:

Mate, what an outstanding looking beer. It looks damn delish.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, Tone boy said:
On 11/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, stquinto said:

Christmas is looking up... 🤣

I reckon I’ll be knocking on your door Christmas Day to give you a hand with that lot Sainter 🤪

I'm with you Toner, lets rug up and pay Sainter a visit. I'm sure he'll need a hand to get through those beers especially the Duvel.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2021 at 7:06 AM, MitchBastard said:

Amazing colour!!!! Love this kind of looking beers!!! Looks like very thick....is it? Abv? Never tried one of those style....

Thanx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, mrchino73 said:

Amazing colour!!!! Love this kind of looking beers!!! Looks like very thick....is it? Abv? Never tried one of those style....

Thanx

Cheers mate. I wouldn’t say it’s thick. It’s not thin either. Given the Belgian yeast dried it out to 1.007 it’s got a pretty full mouthfeel. I kept the Abv at a reasonable level at 5.5

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Cheers mate. I wouldn’t say it’s thick. It’s not thin either. Given the Belgian yeast dried it out to 1.007 it’s got a pretty full mouthfeel. I kept the Abv at a reasonable level at 5.5

Did a few batches for the time. Red IPA, Scotish, cream ale, think I lol give a try on a Belgian .....I ll.tell you later what it results!!!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

A very simple IPA, I believe. 24 hours old. Coopers Real Ale, LDM, dextrose, CCA yeast. Will add in 50g Summer hops in a few days. (Thanks again for the advice, Shamus).

Very nice Krausen Muzzy, I bottled my Real Ale on 28/11/2021 so I am looking forward to trying it, I used Hallertau as I had them in stock,

• Like 2

20211206_145016.thumb.jpg.8824d622e9694aa6ece7c43c2b1f5826.jpg

well there is the west coast ipa   

not very happy with it to be honest , but its beer

alot of muck around with the counter pressure chiller  but got it working again

23 litres easily there   

with this brew the  inkbird themometer  is lucky place its in the thermowell 
and is under  10 psi of pressure

i expect a quick ferment from this one

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Why not happy OD?

Just a few mistakes I made during some steps  . Like I don't use the overflow pipe I add way to much water for the mash.

And just a few other mistakes   I should have accounted for

But final product will be ok 

• Like 2

K&K.5 Bootmaker Ale, 1.5k of LDM

Couldn't make up my mind about Hops

Decided to go with a dry hop of Galaxy on day 5, love the smell as I mixed.

Brewing this one at Ambient temp (fridge busy), should be about 20 deg.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

K&K.5 Bootmaker Ale, 1.5k of LDM

Couldn't make up my mind about Hops

Decided to go with a dry hop of Galaxy on day 5, love the smell as I mixed.

Brewing this one at Ambient temp (fridge busy), should be about 20 deg.

That is perfect all of my Ales brew at ambient around 20c, that is of course if you used either the kit yeast or another Ale yeast.

My Bootmaker was bottled on 27/11/21 & I am looking forward to trying it.

• Like 2