Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

9 minutes ago, Stickers said:

IMG_8267.thumb.jpg.45d3b5eeaf8211f9ed1843bfe4bab03c.jpg

first draft of my wheel of beer. because i do extract cans sometimes it's hard to choose what to do next. answer.. spin the wheel of beer. (i had a bit of spare time on my hands yesterday)

Hey Stickers by the look of that wheel, if you lose, you still win, not a bad beer on it.

• Haha 2

An update on the recent double batch in the new 58 L Kegmenter.

So the first double batch of Leigh’s Lager is done and ready to keg.  First try at a pressure fermented a lager using Dubbya so this was a bit of “shoot first and then adjust the sights to match the hit target” so to speak, as I had no idea where this was going to go or end up.  The chilled un-carbonated sample tastes very much like the un-pressure fermented versions of this recipe.  I have a couple of kegs already of previous batches to pour from and compare it to so can compare glass with glass.  Matter of fact I am having one now.

It’s not the end of this experiment as I think I can push the temps a little higher than the 1 x 1.5 times my normal profile for this yeast.  Next time I am going to go for 2.0 x times pitch temp ( say 24.0 C at 10 psi) and so on and see how that turns out until I get to a “no go” area and from that work out a sweet spot of temps and pressures. 

I know @Graubart has been pushing the boundaries of the envelope with normal non-pressure ferments at high temps with this yeast so it will be interesting to compare notes.

This experiment has shaved 7 days off my usual 21 day lager profile and I am thinking I can possibly get it down to BD + 8 or 10–ish in the future.

As an aside I would like to point out to @kmar92 that as you can see by the temp and pressure graph the pressure of the Kegmenter does definitely drop during the cold crash step down as I suspected, due to the beer taking up and absorbing the free CO2 in the Kegmenter head-space.

Anyway I hope that helps any future lager pressure ferment ideas and we will see what the next one presents like in a graph in a month or so.

Pressure ferment W-3470 profile.PNG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

An update on the recent double batch in the new 58 L Kegmenter.

So the first double batch of Leigh’s Lager is done and ready to keg.  First try at a pressure fermented a lager using Dubbya so this was a bit of “shoot first and then adjust the sights to match the hit target” so to speak, as I had no idea where this was going to go or end up.  The chilled un-carbonated sample tastes very much like the un-pressure fermented versions of this recipe.  I have a couple of kegs already of previous batches to pour from and compare it to so can compare glass with glass.  Matter of fact I am having one now.

It’s not the end of this experiment as I think I can push the temps a little higher than the 1 x 1.5 times my normal profile for this yeast.  Next time I am going to go for 2.0 x times pitch temp ( say 24.0 C at 10 psi) and so on and see how that turns out until I get to a “no go” area and from that work out a sweet spot of temps and pressures. 

I know @Graubart has been pushing the boundaries of the envelope with normal non-pressure ferments at high temps with this yeast so it will be interesting to compare notes.

This experiment has shaved 7 days off my usual 21 day lager profile and I am thinking I can possibly get it down to BD + 8 or 10–ish in the future.

As an aside I would like to point out to @kmar92 that as you can see by the temp and pressure graph the pressure of the Kegmenter does definitely drop during the cold crash step down as I suspected, due to the beer taking up and absorbing the free CO2 in the Kegmenter head-space.

Anyway I hope that helps any future lager pressure ferment ideas and we will see what the next one presents like in a graph in a month or so.

Pressure ferment W-3470 profile.PNG

Excellent stuff @iBooz2 boozer. Lagers in a pressure ferment are the bee's knees for me, in that you can do the ferment in a much shortened time frame and be sipping that nectar so much quicker. My lager's are probably done at 5 days but I let them go for a day or 2 beyond that before I cold crash.

You do not need to point out the pressure drop to me, I have another lager in my kegmenter now that was done at 15psi and now is at 9psi @ 2.5° after a slow ramp down over 24 hours. Sucking in all that CO2 as it cools. Just that mine never goes to negative pressure so no suck back, so far!

Looking forward to your review of your lager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stouty Boy of Sorts... now just chillin'    ...maybe keg-on-up on Sunday and backfill w another AG crack at a TOP Clone on the yeast slurry that remains in the Coopers FV.   Will be nice to have a Stout on tap again hopefully it will all come good : )

image.thumb.png.ef57851eda1b5723cc182cce0c8e5517.png

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Graubart said:

Stouty Boy of Sorts... now just chillin'    ...maybe keg-on-up on Sunday and backfill w another AG crack at a TOP Clone on the yeast slurry that remains in the Coopers FV.   Will be nice to have a Stout on tap again hopefully it will all come good : )

image.thumb.png.ef57851eda1b5723cc182cce0c8e5517.png

Will that be on nitro?

• Thanks 1

Neon Haze Session IPA from the Recipes Section.

‘Brewed this twice, both times the keg was drained in quick fashion, a real winner. 

So I dragged the big boy out & did a double batch in my 60L fermenter, just fits by a few mm in my fermenting fridge.

3 packets of Lallemand American East Coast Yeast.

Go you good thing. 🍻🍻

E05E175F-9696-4732-B40D-97811BB5D939.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mickep said:

Done and dusted in 4 days using US-05 slurry from previous brews - Is that a thing? Mighty quick.

Definitely can finish that quickly.  Just give it a few more days at FG before cold crashing or bottling.  I guess you have to do the dry hop, so a few more days should be easy to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:
21 hours ago, Mickep said:

Done and dusted in 4 days using US-05 slurry from previous brews - Is that a thing? Mighty quick.

Definitely can finish that quickly.  Just give it a few more days at FG before cold crashing or bottling.  I guess you have to do the dry hop, so a few more days should be easy to do.

Yeah thanks @Shamus O'Sean,  I'm going to dry hop for 48 hours and then will probably bump the temp up from 18 degrees to 20 for a few days and then a cold crash for about 5 days or so. So it should be well and truly done by the time I CC. 

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Yeah thanks @Shamus O'Sean,  I'm going to dry hop for 48 hours and then will probably bump the temp up from 18 degrees to 20 for a few days and then a cold crash for about 5 days or so. So it should be well and truly done by the time I CC. 

You could bump up the temperature while you do the dry hop.  That is what I usually do.

• Thanks 1

TOP 2 (Theaks Ol Pec) well underway on the prior Yeast Cake of the Stouty Boy:

If is like the last TOP brew - should darken up when the Yeast now suspended in solution making it brown - flocss out on ferment completion and chillin' : )

Think I will park this FV and Yeast up after this one - and give it a scrub - four in a row backfilling over the prior yeast cake... not bad value out of one dry yeast sachet 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.6d98ceb15e93c28cd5c1436f2d0a3fb4.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2021 at 10:46 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I've currently got the Cog Work IPA in the FV exactly to recipe and it also looks to have reached the FG of 1012 within 5 days.. is this because of using the two yeasts? US05 and tin yeast?... 

I've now dry hopped, and will CC in 2 days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titans19 said:

I've currently got the Cog Work IPA in the FV exactly to recipe and it also looks to have reached the FG of 1012 within 5 days.. is this because of using the two yeasts? US05 and tin yeast?... 

I've now dry hopped, and will CC in 2 days.

More yeast will help you get through the ferment quicker.  However, quicker is not always betterer.  A ferment that goes too quick can supposedly result in a bland beer.  Probably because the yeast does not get a chance to properly develop its flavours and aromas.  Five days does not sound overly quick.  So I doubt you will have any issues. 

I did the COG Work IPA a little while ago.  OG was 1.050.  After 4 days SG was 1.019.  I did not take another reading until after 7 days when SG was 1.014 and that was the FG too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Turned up at home today with a fresh AG Wort Kit to try ( dipping toes in the water in preparation for AG ) 

West Coast IPA

My wife read the side and it said, Dank Pine, Passionfruit & Grapefruit.

She said yep, you are a Craft Beer W#$ker 😂😂😂😂

Mate they just don't get it, I am single but I still have ladies trying my drinks, they like them but can't understand all the fuss, it is just beer they say. 😦

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate they just don't get it, I am single but I still have ladies trying my drinks, they like them but can't understand all the fuss, it is just beer they say. 😦

Yeah, pretty much what my wife says mate.

‘She hates any kind of beer full stop.

‘Although she never stops me from honing my craft of Home Brewing, and is always supportive ( sometimes even goes the LHBS to grab some Yeast for me if I’m busy with work ). The manager there was in the Air Force, and mates with my wife’s late father so she doesn’t mind too much. 🍻🍻

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah, pretty much what my wife says mate.

‘She hates any kind of beer full stop.

‘Although she never stops me from honing my craft of Home Brewing, and is always supportive ( sometimes even goes the LHBS to grab some Yeast for me if I’m busy with work ). The manager there was in the Air Force, and mates with my wife’s late father so she doesn’t mind too much. 🍻🍻

It must be a bloke thing my ex girlfriend says, others don't really care that much but if you start getting too technical you may damage the ambience of the afternoon/evening, you know what I mean !! 😜

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 2

Bout to cold crash the German pilly. Still tweaking this recipe but it edges closer to where I want it each time. 45ibu. 1.007 FG. Slight spice. Bready with that w34/70 tail on the palette. Really reminds me of traipsing around Berlin 2 yrs ago drinking what ever bog standard Pilsner I came across for 1 euro. 

F71B19D4-D5DF-4EA9-9CEB-731F13B80AA6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

That's Festive @MitchBastard Mitchie

10 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

bog standard Pilsner I came across for 1 euro

My latest lager - sorta I guess a bit like a 'Helles - reminds me of 'Flaschbier' ie beer out a bottle - and specifically Augustiner...

in Munich ; )

Like @MitchBastard Mitchie what you said bog standard beer what you get for a Euro ; )

image.thumb.png.b634d82dd180cd0016021222316bb0b3.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 3