Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

As per brew day posts. Belgian Strong Ale. The colour in the fermenter is very dark. The beer is not that dark. Just no light for the photo.

I'll be interested in the Krausen with this baby. Against my better judgement I didn't use the collar.

20211003_180833.jpg

• Like 10

Well my first AG BIAB German Kolsch is roaring away in the fermenting fridge in the Fermzilla.

Changed colours to a nice straw look now, happy with that. 
‘Lots of lumpy bits floating around in it, but I will CC this one for a few days before kegging. 
‘Cheers brewers RD44 🍻🍻70F0820E-119F-4123-A159-4FD42A9BCBA9.thumb.jpeg.c7235909a566e6854ad528d2560fa1ce.jpeg

• Like 8

Pacific Summer Ale AG version 6, Batch #63, AG #22  is going gang busters in the Coopers FV.  I normally do this recipe under pressure in the fermzilla but my big FV fridge is taken up with the 58 L Kegmenter doing a 44 L Royal Lager Recipe so no pressure this time, be interesting to see if it makes a difference to the PSA.  There will be a big dry hop of 50 g Galaxy in next couple of days.

Used Windsor yeast in the end as I had a sachet that was well past its BBD (Mar21 but kept in fridge) so decided to use it up.  Has not seemed to make a difference to the yeast as its party time in there only 18 hours after pitching.  One thing different this time which may have helped a lot was I aerated the wort for 20 minutes plus using my new aerating wand and air pump.  Works a treat.

Brew predictions: EBC = 8.7, IBU = 31.1, BU:GU = 0.666, ABV = 4.88 - 5.10 %

PSA ver 6 going gang busters - resized.jpg

• Like 8

Lallemand Munich Classic doing it's stuff. Even with the krausen collar it was still trying to climb out of the FV, it did reach the lid but then subsided some. I love this yeast.

Hefe weissbier being born. Beautiful aromas of banana and cloves!

1725e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

This afternoon I put down a mr beer long play ipa (9L) with bonus 200g dex and a coopers real ale (20L) with a be2 and 500g extra dex. Running out of beer to brew until my coopers order comes in. All thats in the cupboard is 2 mr beers (the pale ale and the other ipa)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Lallemand Munich Classic doing it's stuff. Even with the krausen collar it was still trying to climb out of the FV, it did reach the lid but then subsided some. I love this yeast.

Hefe weissbier being born. Beautiful aromas of banana and cloves!

Hi Kmar92, what temperature are you fermenting at?  I am planning another Hoegaarden clone for my next brew and curious to find out what temps others have used.  

I got clove and banana at 17°C, but no banana at 18°C

Sorry @Shamus O'Sean I missed your post. I pitched at 24° and it is fermenting at 21°. I like to ferment with Munich Classic at the top of it's range (17° - 22°) in a wort that has as much oxygen as I can get into it. I mix the wort with a paint stirrer and drill and end up with a lot of foam on it. Seems to work well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

(Sunday) Bottled the Mexican Cerveza that was waiting for me.

Then put a Coopers Real Ale in the fermenter, almost K&K, added 15g's of NZ hops after a 10 min boil.

First try at "getting fancy", now the wait!

Also, thanks for the tips,  I've put the fermenter into a spare working fridge and have an Inkbird ITC 308 (WiFi)

I now have control, currently sitting on 19deg, will play with temps as I work out what suits.

After reading about moving Fermenters about, I had trouble with this, built a rolling stool, out of scrap wood, to sit it on and move from laundry to fridge, then bottling table, easy.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

(Sunday) Bottled the Mexican Cerveza that was waiting for me.

Then put a Coopers Real Ale in the fermenter, almost K&K, added 15g's of NZ hops after a 10 min boil.

First try at "getting fancy", now the wait!

Also, thanks for the tips,  I've put the fermenter into a spare working fridge and have an Inkbird ITC 308 (WiFi)

I now have control, currently sitting on 19deg, will play with temps as I work out what suits.

After reading about moving Fermenters about, I had trouble with this, built a rolling stool, out of scrap wood, to sit it on and move from laundry to fridge, then bottling table, easy.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

Glad to see it's working for you @DavidM as time goes by you will pick up many tips & time saving procedures as well as inventing your own. Brew day/Bottling day all get easier & quicker each time you do it once you develop a system. Cheers.

• Like 4

Cold crashing will drop a bit out. I've got a little mesh filter on the end of the floating dip tube. It does a pretty good job of keeping everything out. It'll probably be a little bit of a headache as the outside will clog a bit but a burst of CO2 clears it out. Mostly. I think it will be fine but I also have my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Cold crashing will drop a bit out. I've got a little mesh filter on the end of the floating dip tube. It does a pretty good job of keeping everything out. It'll probably be a little bit of a headache as the outside will clog a bit but a burst of CO2 clears it out. Mostly. I think it will be fine but I also have my fingers crossed.

OK fair enough, that makes sense, should be nice flavours - good luck.

10 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Sure it will I have some of that yeast in the fridge I eagerly await your results. Will be my next brew I think 🤔 

It's good stuff. The last one I made was coconut and pineapple. Was a ripper. We'll, I thought so. It's interesting giving a sour beer to people who have never had one before. The feedback is varied haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Popo said:

It's good stuff. The last one I made was coconut and pineapple. Was a ripper. We'll, I thought so. It's interesting giving a sour beer to people who have never had one before. The feedback is varied haha

Hey Popo, I think it will turn out brilliantly.  Massive kudos for the experimentation.  What temperature are you fermenting at?  I did Kegland's Miami Weisse recently.  Currently on tap.  It's a nice beer.  Two packs of Philly Sour at 25°C.  Next time I might push it above recommended temperatures to 30°C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Popo, I think it will turn out brilliantly.  Massive kudos for the experimentation.  What temperature are you fermenting at?  I did Kegland's Miami Weisse recently.  Currently on tap.  It's a nice beer.  Two packs of Philly Sour at 25°C.  Next time I might push it above recommended temperatures to 30°C.

That's the hope. The only worry I can see is that it will be too sour. The raspberry and passionfruit mix was pretty sour on its own - but it is diluted by a lot of beer, albeit sour beer. I think it will be fine - but it did make me pause a bit when tasting it before I added it in.. I went mid range on the additions of raspberry and passionfruit but a bit higher on the coconut to try and get a nice blend.

I went with 22°C with the Philly. I think (not a great note taker) that was the temp I ran with when I made the previous one with pineapple and coconut. Seemed to hit the right spot for me between sour and drinkable. I'm not sure how the 22 would be with no other additions. I'd probably want it a bit higher too.

Edited by Popo
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, kmar92 said:

I mix the wort with a paint stirrer and drill and end up with a lot of foam on it. Seems to work well.

I do exactly the same thing. Pretty sure it extends the lag time a bit but very sure it improves the brew.

• Like 1

Bottled a OS stout + BE3 + POR for 32 PETs. Smelled great and tasted not to foul either. Two weeks time will be taste test. So, looked over at the now empty FV and filled it with 25 lt water, OS lager + BE3 [equivalent] + POR. This is my fav' beer but using the equivalent of BE3 so see how that tastes. If I had BE3 on hand I would have used it. Cheers. 

• Like 6