Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

6 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

My yank ipa has reached its FG or near enough and received it’s 200g dry hop today. Tasting the sample as is you can taste the bare bones of the recipe. Light grape fruit from the late cascade addition which weaves its way through the maris otter and English ale yeast. The yeast it’s self gives off a few estery notes which seems to prop up the mid boil addition of willamette which adds a slight floral spice. 50g each of Columbus, simcoe, centennial and citra went in today and should dank it up to give it that American ipa nose we all know and love. 

542FB75B-8539-4B7C-A1D0-0D5341F4E4FE.jpeg

EA1707C2-A0FF-4344-A6AF-54320F23CB65.jpeg

Looks nice I want to make a North West Pale with chinook and Sabro to get some dank on Monday or Tuesday can’t wait, going to play with the water side properly as well so will be interesting. I liked the Pirate Life North West Pale so basing it off that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Philly Sour in full swing.

Fruit will be added. But haven't made my mind up as to what just yet. Indecision!

IMG_20210807_134330.jpg

Nice, be interested to see how it goes. I need to try that yeast as well. I want to add raspberries to mine although I think @Green Blob said it was good without fruit but I guess it will give it colour and a bit of raspberry tang!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Nice, be interested to see how it goes. I need to try that yeast as well. I want to add raspberries to mine although I think @Green Blob said it was good without fruit but I guess it will give it colour and a bit of raspberry tang!

I've had the cube and yeast waiting for a few months to ferment. Raspberries were top of the list but I've also seen a coconut and pineapple combo I wouldn't mind trying. 

20 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @MitchBastard that looks amazing, lovely & clear & also the start of another great brew, are you entering this in any Comps, if so, all the best. Cheers.

Cheers mate. This has been brewed for a comp. the local brewery is having another comp and asked me to join in again. Whether or not the comp goes ahead because of you know what but we’ll see. Either way I’ll have a keg full of yum beer

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Looks nice I want to make a North West Pale with chinook and Sabro to get some dank on Monday or Tuesday can’t wait, going to play with the water side properly as well so will be interesting. I liked the Pirate Life North West Pale so basing it off that.

Nice mate. I much prefer the “danker” iPas over the more fruit forward IPAs. Water definitely plays a part too. I think my sulfate to chloride ratio in this particular beer pushed 5.8. 

• Like 1

2 days of brewing  i apologise i dont have pics of the brews  but i am not the great photographer

however  though yesterdays brew was an oatmeal stout   and the brew day was good hit my  numbers

1.048  and  i will be looking at around finishing 1.011   so roughly around 5%

todays brew  i was doing a american pale   missed my numbers alittle  as i was hoping for 1.051  but only got 1.049
not unhappy as it wont be far off the mark  if it gets to1.011 

hopefully a 3rd brew on Wednesday

• Like 2

The Amber Ale on London Lally (my first time w this yeast... and I can't seem to get too much feedback from anyone on this dry yeast over on the yeast thread sadly) seems to have finished off at 1013 down from 1059 so should be a reasonable beer I hope... seems to be clearing up quite nicely per photo below... will chill it a bit and then look to backfill w something tasty maybe a Theakstons Ol' Pec clone of sorts 🤔

image.thumb.png.9dc2ca98435d7ebdeacbdadf9aaf59ac.png

• Like 4

On 8/7/2021 at 1:47 PM, Popo said:

.Indecision!

I went with coconut and pineapple in the end.

A couple of potential problems. The oven is on the blink so had to toast the coconut in a pan but could not remove as much oil that way. I'm also worried about any oxygen I may have introduced. I tried to be gentle but there was a bit of splashing. I added a lot of both.

IMG20210810203838.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 3:34 PM, RDT2 said:

200g? Hop it like its hot! 

Tell me are you putting it all in one big fat hopsock ? You would have to weigh that badboy down like a body in the river ! I use 4 stainless tablespoons to weigh down approx 125G 

And when you take it out at bottling time are you giving it a good squeeze out ? I find i get back a good 500ml of beer and a whole LOAD of hazy goodness 

13 minutes ago, BreweyMcHops said:

200g? Hop it like its hot! 

Tell me are you putting it all in one big fat hopsock ? You would have to weigh that badboy down like a body in the river ! I use 4 stainless tablespoons to weigh down approx 125G 

And when you take it out at bottling time are you giving it a good squeeze out ? I find i get back a good 500ml of beer and a whole LOAD of hazy goodness 

I made it yesterday actually made a small batch and will make a bigger batch if Im happy with it. I put the first wort hops in commando and put the rest in the hop spider. I will put the dry hops in a bag with stainless rings to weigh it down. Probably give it a gentle squeeze.

11 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I made it yesterday actually made a small batch and will make a bigger batch if Im happy with it. I put the first wort hops in commando and put the rest in the hop spider. I will put the dry hops in a bag with stainless rings to weigh it down. Probably give it a gentle squeeze.

Ahhh so when you say 200g thats not all dry? That includes in the boil? Stainless rings in hopsock makes sense , otherwise i find it sits on the top  like an iceberg 

When you say small batch though, what proportion of the 200g was late/dry? How small are we talking , still seems like you hop hard !👍👍 

2 minutes ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Ahhh so when you say 200g thats not all dry? That includes in the boil? Stainless rings in hopsock makes sense , otherwise i find it sits on the top  like an iceberg 

When you say small batch though, what proportion of the 200g was late/dry? How small are we talking , still seems like you hop hard !👍👍 

This is what I did yesterday 

12704D3B-D618-46B3-B79C-B63F203388E9.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Just dry hopped my Wakatu Pale Ale with 20g of Wakatu. Smells amazing in the brew fridge. Lots of lime aroma atm…

Loooooooking good Toner @Tone boy : )

So are you a believer too in the hydro on the side to keep an eye on SG developments?  Am trying it for the first time at the mo...

There seems to be a few believers out in our group of Brewers and am interested to read what you think mate 🤔

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Graubart said:

So are you a believer too in the hydro on the side to keep an eye on SG developments?  Am trying it for the first time at the mo...

There seems to be a few believers out in our group of Brewers and am interested to read what you think mate 🤔

I do it every batch, only difference is I leave it on the bar rather than in the brew fridge. I also take it part way through fermentation as it doubles as my test to see when to raise the brew temp. It finishes earlier at the warmer temp then I do the proper check with a fresh sample a couple of days after it stops dropping. They're always pretty much the same. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yes I like the hydro there GB. I got the idea from this forum naturally. I think it’s handy for a couple of reasons. 
Firstly I’m not taking readings all the time and so not wasting precious beer. I can gauge how the brew is progressing by taking readings continuously and when it looks finished in the hydro, I then take a sample from the FV to confirm. Sometimes there’s a couple of points different but it’s still a good gauge. 
Secondly it gives me a visual. My FV is opaque so I can’t see what’s going on in there. If you zoom in on the photo you can see a mini Krausen in the hydro sample - trying his little heart out to make beer. 
I like @Otto Von Blotto’s idea of keeping it a bit warmer- staying one step ahead of the game - we’d expect nothing less of the great OVB of course.
When I do a lager next I might do that too, however for ales I don’t  raise the temperature for a d-rest so probably happy to keep it in the fridge. 
I reckon you’re going to love what that London yeast gives you GB in your latest brew. Good luck with it 👍✌️

• Like 1

London Lally ESB backfill w old ale... went from 1070 down to 1017 in two days at twenty or so... yeeeeehaaa... had been thinking TOP Clone but think now more like strong malty brown ale ; )

Introduced the dark malt later in the mash w the crystal and did not achieve quite the dark colour originally chasing... easy to fix in next attempt if there is one... but am not concerned as it should be nice strong malty brewski 😋 

image.thumb.png.77804ae87f9b035e0e6007168cfb0824.png

• Like 1

since brew day has passed I guess this is what's in my fermenter atm pitched yesterday at 5pm with Bavarian lager slurry off like a rocket.

86 days pills partial added along with 86 days can a can of coopers liquid malt, 200 gram capapils, 400 gram pilsner malt and 400 gram pale ale malt 1 hour mash. 28 grams hallertau 10 boil 3 steep in the strained partial liquid (smelt really good).

Time will tell what I get from this as all grain cracked in zip lock bag 200 grams at time as per Coopers recepies as don't have a mill and want to let it stay fresh so dont buy it milled. Pitched slurry on 13 degrees brewing on 11.5 and OG:1.052 @19 liters

20210820_092113.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Couldn’t get onto the site for 2 days, but this is my German Pils going apesh%t 6hrs after pitching the other day. 

‘Really loving this Lallemand Yeast, this was Lalley East Coast 

Looking good RD I am thinking of getting one of those Fermenters, they look like the business. 

Just now, CLASSIC said:

Looking good RD I am thinking of getting one of those Fermenters, they look like the business. 

Yeah @CLASSIC they are so so, it does 3/4 carbonate the beer, when I keg I just put on normal serving pressure for a few hrs then it is generally carbonated. 
I don’t think it will last long term, if I can get 12 or so months out of it I’ll be happy.

‘Going for the kegmenter for my next purchase.

Just threw down my second batch off the Coopers recipe page, the Neon Haze Session IPA which was a partial mash, that was a 10/10 beer for me, probably the best I’ve brewed in my 150 odd keg brewing career. 🤣🤣

This will be a standard for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I will purchase the 58L kegmenter so I can do double batches,

Just wondering how you easily move 40+ litres around or do you have a set up where you can fill your kegs direct from the fridge or where ever you ferment. 

I do 2 x 21 litre drums at once as they both fit side by side in my fermenting fridge, I have to carry them from the garage to the kitchen to fill and keg which is about 12 meters. not sure how my back would go carting 42+ litres that far every couple of weeks.

8 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah I will purchase the 58L kegmenter so I can do double batches, it will just fit in my fridge going by the measurements. 
Your gonna have to join the kegging fraternity soon mate, @Aussiekrauthasnt looked back 

I have been undecided about the whole thing for ages & still don't know what is best. I don't have a lot of room for extra equipment but given I am a bachelor & can please myself whether my place looks like a Hotel/Brewery, that's the way I like it, I grew up in Pubs, lived in, stayed in, called on & sold to most of my life so I guess it is only fitting to have beer on tap. 😜  Of course I wouldn't drink any more. It is good to see AK happy with his new Kegerator.

Cheers.

• Like 1