Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

8 minutes ago, Billy1525230088 said:

Just wondering how you easily move 40+ litres around or do you have a set up where you can fill your kegs direct from the fridge or where ever you ferment. 

I do 2 x 21 litre drums at once as they both fit side by side in my fermenting fridge, I have to carry them from the garage to the kitchen to fill and keg which is about 12 meters. not sure how my back would go carting 42+ litres that far every couple of weeks.

You know that would be hard moving something that big around as a litre of liquid weighs about 1kg so imagine lifting that.

I am 6'2" & 100kg & spent a lot of time in the gym but it would be a mean feat to get a 58l FV on the bench. You would have lifting aids & other gear to manage it.

12 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

You know that would be hard moving something that big around as a litre of liquid weighs about 1kg so imagine lifting that.

I am 6'2" & 100kg & spent a lot of time in the gym but it would be a mean feat to get a 58l FV on the bench. You would have lifting aids & other gear to manage it.

Yeah I have an electric crane over the top of my keezer which I purchased from Bunnings, I tweaked my back last year loading a full 19L keg in there, so went and bought that with a sling, so I definitely will be using that with the 58L keg for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah I have an electric crane over the top of my keezer which I purchased from Bunnings, I tweaked my back last year loading a full 19L keg in there, so went and bought that with a sling, so I definitely will be using that with the 58L keg for sure. 

Makes sense, my back is fine but I have a dodgy knee from weightlifting all of those years so I wouldn't want to stress that. 🦵

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

I have some years on you but I am not telling, my brother has had 2 total knee replacements & as long as I can walk, I ain't going through that.

Yeah it’s hard work getting back to normal after the operation, I’ve lost some flexibility but am pain free now.

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I have some years on you but I am not telling, my brother has had 2 total knee replacements & as long as I can walk, I ain't going through that.

Yeah it’s hard work getting back to normal after the operation, I’ve lost some flexibility but am pain free now.

S & W Cloud Catcher Clone, just fermenting in my brew cellar/stroke workshop, no temp control. No Fridges available currently. 

‘Sitting nicely at 20 degrees, put down yesterday and this morning krausen was up to the lid, even with the collar on.

Has receded now but you can see the level it came to by the scum mark. 

Lally Windsor Ale Yeast 

2232C20C-A3C8-48CB-95B7-DE303F5D521E.jpeg

• Like 5

The Ale might end up being a TOP Clone after all... was looking quite brown... but darkening up now as the Lally ESB London slowly drops out... will let go one more day... then turn 18 deg heat pad off and let fall to ambient to FV condition for a week or so c.15 degC.

Then will need to cold crash to get Lally London to drop out... is a hard road w this yeast... US05 and Dubbya are just such better floccers post ferment... but with its maltotriose remnant (this yeast does not ferment out maltotriose) it does make for a laaaarvely Aley type brew 🥳

image.thumb.png.0071413e276425473d5843b2d1fba0a8.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Graubart said:

The Ale might end up being a TOP Clone after all... was looking quite brown... but darkening up now as the Lally ESB London slowly drops out... will let go one more day... then turn 18 deg heat pad off and let fall to ambient to FV condition for a week or so c.15 degC.

Then will need to cold crash to get Lally London to drop out... is a hard road w this yeast... US05 and Dubbya are just such better floccers post ferment... but with its maltotriose remnant (this yeast does not ferment out maltotriose) it does make for a laaaarvely Aley type brew 🥳

Graubster I assume that is a Dark Ale ? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Graubster I assume that is a Dark Ale ? 

TOP Clone yep Dark Old Ale... TOP = theaks old pec...  Well - ish - I really don't follow guidelines but they are useful to help classify the resulting beer haha... and yes it was TOP inspired and the kind Swiss Saint @stquinto found an AG recipe for us in his festive beer book 🥳

17B - Old Ale / BJCP 2015 Style Guidelines - BJCP 2015 Style 17B An ale of moderate to fairly significant alcoholic strength, bigger than standard beers, though usually not as strong or rich as barleywine...

This puppy is looking like rolling in at a meagre 7.6% so a bit more octane than traditional TOP hopefully is a nice beer once done... plenty of Maris Otter, Voyager Pale Malt and then some Crystal and Choc ; )

Was the lovely Lally ESB London dry yeast (one pack) on a backfill of the FV (prior Ale) so onto slurry... smashed 1070 down to 1017 in like 2 days in the Coopers plazzi FV yeeeehaaaaa 🏴‍☠️

Lallemand say the yeast should crank a brew at 20 degC in three days... 

image.thumb.png.9895deef957e6157ed143af012dc6250.png

• Like 1

Slow starter, little or no krausen.

I put this Blonde Dry together on 8th August & from day 1 I have struggled to keep it above 18c. I had it in the brew room/office with the heat belt & of course insulated it with an old bedspread & it was just hanging around the mid to high 17c.

I have moved it to a bench near the window & it is stabilised on 18c which is the low end of my target temp. The reading shows about 1.012 not bad considering the SG was 1.042.  I only used the 5gm supplied yeast for this one, now I am sorry I didn't use US-05 like I did in the other batch I am now drinking.

I will bottle tomorrow & hope for the best. It looks like beer, smells like beer so it must be beer.  😀

Blonde Dry Aug 2021.jpg

Blonde Dry Aug 2021.jpg 2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well I got shown up by a 7 year old girl tonight. My mate came over tonight for a few beers and I was showing him my enigma pacific ale which is firing on all cylinders in the fermenter. His daughter says it smells like raspberries I am like wtf 😳 how can she describe a hop/beer to a t and I can’t. It just smells good to me fruity or tropical🤣 Some people just have a gift. See descriptor below can’t wait for this beer 🍻 though, whatever it smells like!

Enigma™ is a hop variety released by the Hop Products Australia breeding program. This high alpha variety is equipped with notes of pinot gris, raspberries, red currant, and light tropical fruit. 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Well I got shown up by a 7 year old girl tonight. My mate came over tonight for a few beers and I was showing him my enigma pacific ale which is firing on all cylinders in the fermenter. His daughter says it smells like raspberries I am like wtf 😳 how can she describe a hop/beer to a t and I can’t. It just smells good to me fruity or tropical🤣 Some people just have a gift. See descriptor below can’t wait for this beer 🍻 though, whatever it smells like!

Enigma™ is a hop variety released by the Hop Products Australia breeding program. This high alpha variety is equipped with notes of pinot gris, raspberries, red currant, and light tropical fruit. 

Ain't that the truth RD, I've got a terrible snoz for smell, taste buds not much better when it comes to describing aroma or taste sensations. Kids hey they're amazing.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 12:40 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

Just put this down this morning:

CCAM Pale Ale

1.7kg Coopers APA
1.5kg light LME
650g Vienna 17%
300g Superior Ale malt 7.8%
200g Crystal 15L 5.2%
125g Carapils 3.3%
10g Cents x 10 minutes
40g Cents @ FO for 20 minute hop stand 
15g Citra  DH x 48 hours 
10g Amarillo DH
10g Mosaic DH
10mL Clarity ferm
23L
14g Coopers ale/lager yeast dry pitched

OG 1.054; FG 1.010; ABV 5.43%; EBC 10.

This brew is very tasty, one of my best. Nice head and lacing too. Love it.

• Like 5