Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

5 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Thank you folks for the tips and advice. Crisis has been averted. Checked FV yesterday when I got home from work and happy to see the little munchkins doing their work. I am used to kit ale yeast kicking off within hours of introducing to the wort. Cheers.  

US-05 Bubbles.jpg

10 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:
6 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Thank you folks for the tips and advice. Crisis has been averted. Checked FV yesterday when I got home from work and happy to see the little munchkins doing their work. I am used to kit ale yeast kicking off within hours of introducing to the wort. Cheers.  

I know what you mean the same with one of my current brews ( Blonde Dry ) a late starter but kickin' now.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:05 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Australian IPA.

Took my first reading yesterday, day 4, 1.023.  Also added dry hop last night.  Up until then I just had it at 5psi pressure and 19°C.  Upped the pressure to 15psi (using the gas bottle).  Holding there today.  Tonight my SG was 1.022.  My OG was 1.057 (but I had about 24 litres in the fermenter to start with).

Also have the Voyage American Pale Ale going with Verdant yeast too.  It got from 1.045 to 1.013.  However, the last few days were slow: 1.022 to 1.013 over 6 days.  At that attenuation my Coopers Australian IPA should get to 1.017, but it might take a few more days.  

@Shamus O'Sean I am at day 8 and it seems that this brew is at FG. It has been at 1.020 for 2 days now and I am surprised that it has not gone lower. According to IanH I undershot the OG (1.061) and overshot the FG so the Verdant has not attenuated as much as I expected. Of course the BE2 has 25% maltodextrin in it but still the numbers are a bit out.

Oh well it is what it is and cold crash has started.

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

@Shamus O'Sean I am at day 8 and it seems that this brew is at FG. It has been at 1.020 for 2 days now and I am surprised that it has not gone lower. According to IanH I undershot the OG (1.061) and overshot the FG so the Verdant has not attenuated as much as I expected. Of course the BE2 has 25% maltodextrin in it but still the numbers are a bit out.

Oh well it is what it is and cold crash has started.

Day 7 today, @kmar92.  Today's reading is 1.020.  In my last brew the Verdant yeast crept along at the end.  Basically dropping 1 point per day.  My experience with the Coopers Australian IPA is pretty much matching yours, but I am a day behind.  I have this brew in my big fermenter, so cannot cold crash it, other than turning off the heat belt and seeing what nature can do in my garage in late July in Melbourne.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

Euro lager with M76 Bavarian lager yeast first time used this yeast. Really can't believe the krausen on this thing it's at the 24 litre mark for a 19 litre brew. Was like it when returned from work this morning. It's on 13 degrees so toward high end of 8 to 14 recommend has anyone seen this before or experienced from this yeast?

Picture on bad angle the middle of krausen definitely hitting 24 litre mark fresh packs no slurry pitch can't believe this         ITS ALIVE well and truly.

20210725_135306.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Euro lager with M76 Bavarian lager yeast first time used this yeast. Really can't believe the krausen on this thing it's at the 24 litre mark for a 19 litre brew. Was like it when returned from work this morning. It's on 13 degrees so toward high end of 8 to 14 recommend has anyone seen this before or experienced from this yeast?

Picture on bad angle the middle of krausen definitely hitting 24 litre mark fresh packs no slurry pitch can't believe this         ITS ALIVE well and truly.

20210725_135306.jpg

the yeast is certainly going to town mate.

looks like its going to be a ripper beer

55 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

the yeast is certainly going to town mate.

looks like its going to be a ripper beer

yes hopefully never had a lager with krausen that big dubbya slurry came close but fresh from packet it's rippa

• Like 1

Belgian Ale

Day 2 of the ferment.  Added a bucket under the flask because I suspect overflows.

IMG_2503.JPG.1a0df8e8511fba0d1f64c9d3a10e2960.JPG

@MUZZY and others if you want a bargain keg, you cannot go past these:  Keg King in Melbourne has seconds of their 20 L Fermenter King Juniors reduced to $25 each.  It costs more to buy the posts, dip tubes and floating dip tube; and with these they are all stainless steel.  Supposedly they have some surface imperfections, but I could not find any.  For those outside Melbourne, you might have to call them to see if they have any left and will ship them.  If you want a bargain get on in.  Waaaayyyyy cheaper than the PET kegs that Kegland are promising.

Although they are intended as a pressure fermenter, they serve equally well as kegs.  35psi is the recommended maximum pressure for these, so overnight fast carbonating might take longer at lower pressure, or just carbonate at 12psi for a week and you'll be good to go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Just when I thought my bottling days were done. 20 odd bottles of saison. Champers bottles, primed to what I believe is 3vols of C02. Watch this space in 3 or so weeks. 

2A1BE106-7CDB-4B24-8C77-C440F1216F6E.jpeg

I wouldn't stop bottling those mate or any Belgians or yeast driven beers. You get a better beer in the bottle than in a keg IMO. Even a naturally carbonated keg doesn't taste the same to me for some reason.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Belgian Ale

Day 2 of the ferment.  Added a bucket under the flask because I suspect overflows.

@MUZZY and others if you want a bargain keg, you cannot go past these:  Keg King in Melbourne has seconds of their 20 L Fermenter King Juniors reduced to $25 each.  It costs more to buy the posts, dip tubes and floating dip tube; and with these they are all stainless steel.  Supposedly they have some surface imperfections, but I could not find any.  For those outside Melbourne, you might have to call them to see if they have any left and will ship them.  If you want a bargain get on in.  Waaaayyyyy cheaper than the PET kegs that Kegland are promising.

Although they are intended as a pressure fermenter, they serve equally well as kegs.  35psi is the recommended maximum pressure for these, so overnight fast carbonating might take longer at lower pressure, or just carbonate at 12psi for a week and you'll be good to go.

They look pretty cool, SOS, but the Kegland PET kegs are only around $5, although they're only 8 litres.
I like the idea of clear kegs though. You'll certainly know when they're about to blow.

IMG_8011.thumb.jpg.163166653a2430eb44a841ddffba2eb5.jpg

doing the cooper's lager plus brew enhancer 1 again to celebrate my first year on the home brews, krausen kollar and all.

2 days in, i can see why this is a good starter kit as i had a pillowy krausen yesterday, it's settled to about an inch thick today and by the looks of the colour, fermentation is well underway. i know it's not going to be the best batch i make this year but its a fun little experiment.

on the right - just kegged an attempt at a hazy with verdant yeast and galaxy hops, cleanup time

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

They look pretty cool, SOS, but the Kegland PET kegs are only around $5, although they're only 8 litres.
I like the idea of clear kegs though. You'll certainly know when they're about to blow.

Yes, but you still have to buy the posts and cap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Belgian Ale

they are a unitank like the fermentasuarus,snubby ,chubby   can be used

even the fermzilla range can be used as kegs  

they  are all rated at 35psi   you dont really need to go much higher then that for carbing beer even though fast carbing   over 35psi you could get away with it but i would be very watching of that

$25 bucks for these are  a steal   and just had a look on keg kings sight there is no mention of these   except the brand new ones

could be the perfect oppurtunity    you have a perfect good keg or ya got a pressure fermenter  its a win win

also if your considering these    they will have a used by date   and which you will need to get retested   which is 2 years from them being made not the day you purchased them

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I wouldn't stop bottling those mate or any Belgians or yeast driven beers. You get a better beer in the bottle than in a keg IMO. Even a naturally carbonated keg doesn't taste the same to me for some reason.

Yeah mate, now I’ve got the big bottles I’ll keep bottling those as you say. Flavour and mouthfeel is always way better for these beers in a bottle. 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:30 PM, MUZZY said:

Hi AL.
Yeah CCA yeast that I reactivated in water and some BE3. Yes it had banana smell. I'd never had one foam up like this before.
I pitched at 22C and set ferment at 21C.
It's been fermenting for 7 days now and I don't know what my SG is because my hydrometer broke but it's still quite cloudy so I don't think it's done yet. Which is rather unusual for KnK. I'm not short of beer currently so I'm happy to let it sit for a few more days.
I don't cold crash my brews any more. Just a personal preference. I couldn't find any real benefit in doing it apart from beer not foaming as much when I bottled.

Hey Muzz, how did this one turn out for you?  Is it finished / bottled and did you take a sip of the sample tube to see what it smells and tastes like.  I am just sipping (or should I say slurping) on a Coopers Sparkling Ale which used the CCA @17 C and mine is pretty good, just needs to condition and clear up a bit more and it will be just like the commercial version of the CSA.

Just interested to know how yours has turned out when it was cooked a bit warmer at 21 C - ish as I have never done one that high. Thanks matey

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey Muzz, how did this one turn out for you?  Is it finished / bottled and did you take a sip of the sample tube to see what it smells and tastes like.  I am just sipping (or should I say slurping) on a Coopers Sparkling Ale which used the CCA @17 C and mine is pretty good, just needs to condition and clear up a bit more and it will be just like the commercial version of the CSA.

Just interested to know how yours has turned out when it was cooked a bit warmer at 21 C - ish as I have never done one that high. Thanks matey

Hi Al.

It's bottled but I haven't drank any yet. I did sample the test tube before bottling and it tasted ok. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 10:43 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Day 7 today, @kmar92.  Today's reading is 1.020.  In my last brew the Verdant yeast crept along at the end.  Basically dropping 1 point per day.  My experience with the Coopers Australian IPA is pretty much matching yours, but I am a day behind.  I have this brew in my big fermenter, so cannot cold crash it, other than turning off the heat belt and seeing what nature can do in my garage in late July in Melbourne.

Day 13 and after cold crashing for 5 days it is now in a keg. I have dry hopped 20g Vic Secret and 20g Enigma contained in hop balls in the keg, so I will see how that goes. The wort reached an FG of 1.020 so it will be around 5.3% ABV. As it was pressure fermented and then transferred to a keg via a closed transfer I did not get a whiff, but the last sample for a gravity reading smelt and tasted great!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Day 13 and after cold crashing for 5 days it is now in a keg. I have dry hopped 20g Vic Secret and 20g Enigma contained in hop balls in the keg, so I will see how that goes. The wort reached an FG of 1.020 so it will be around 5.3% ABV. As it was pressure fermented and then transferred to a keg via a closed transfer I did not get a whiff, but the last sample for a gravity reading smelt and tasted great!

I am at Day 12.  I declared my Australian IPA finished last night at 1.018.  So I am expecting about 5.1% ABV.  "Cold crashing" in the garage at 11°C at the moment.  Looking to keg tomorrow night.  With mine being a 23 litre batch, I am bottling a few as well as doing the keg.  If bottling a, at least, partly carbonated brew (it's been at 15 psi for about 7-8 days), should I add some priming sugar to the bottles?  If so how much do others suggest.

I dry hopped commando in the pressure fermenter on 21 July.  That will be the longest my dry hops have been in contact with the beer for years.  The smell from the blow-off tube was fruity.  I just hope the flavour will be okay.

Coincidentally, I have just made space in my kegerator for the Coopers Australian IPA:  My Dry Irish Stout keg just blew.  Always a bittersweet moment:  Oh, my keg's empty ☹️;  Oh I get to put in a new one 🙂.  I should be drinking the IPA by Sunday, maybe even Saturday night.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am at Day 12.  I declared my Australian IPA finished last night at 1.018.  So I am expecting about 5.1% ABV.  "Cold crashing" in the garage at 11°C at the moment.  Looking to keg tomorrow night.  With mine being a 23 litre batch, I am bottling a few as well as doing the keg.  If bottling a, at least, partly carbonated brew (it's been at 15 psi for about 7-8 days), should I add some priming sugar to the bottles?  If so how much do others suggest.

I dry hopped commando in the pressure fermenter on 21 July.  That will be the longest my dry hops have been in contact with the beer for years.  The smell from the blow-off tube was fruity.  I just hope the flavour will be okay.

Coincidentally, I have just made space in my kegerator for the Coopers Australian IPA:  My Dry Irish Stout keg just blew.  Always a bittersweet moment:  Oh, my keg's empty ☹️;  Oh I get to put in a new one 🙂.  I should be drinking the IPA by Sunday, maybe even Saturday night.

@Shamus O'Sean  I assume you are referring to the June ( I think ) ROTM AUS PALE, mine finished at 1.012, mine was in longer & I followed the recipe exactly & it truly is one of the best beers I have ever made, the Pale Ale would be the second. Enjoy.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@Shamus O'Sean  I assume you are referring to the June ( I think ) ROTM AUS PALE, mine finished at 1.012, mine was in longer & I followed the recipe exactly & it truly is one of the best beers I have ever made, the Pale Ale would be the second. Enjoy.

Cheers.

Hey Phil

The Coopers Australian IPA was the May ROTM and the brew I refer to.  @kmar92 and I have been comparing notes, given that he started his a day before me.  He finished at 1.020 and I finished at 1.018.  But we were both using the Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast instead of the English Ale yeast that was in the recipe.  I should be able to post some tasting notes in the next few days.

• Like 2

I put together an Australian pale ale on Thursday using CCA yeast.

Friday, being the last day of a week off work, was going to be a day to get some shopping done but instead I stayed home waiting for a delivery to help my son with his new business. I didn't want to waste the whole day at home so I made a Coopers Stout. As it was a last minute decision I didn't get time to reactivate any CCA yeast, so to try something different I used 2 surplus sachets of R3559 yeast from Brew A IPA tins instead of the R007 yeast that came with the Stout tin.

IMG20210731040251.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Phil

The Coopers Australian IPA was the May ROTM and the brew I refer to.  @kmar92 and I have been comparing notes, given that he started his a day before me.  He finished at 1.020 and I finished at 1.018.  But we were both using the Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast instead of the English Ale yeast that was in the recipe.  I should be able to post some tasting notes in the next few days.

Excellent Shamus, I look forward to seeing them, I have I x Box PET's of this brew left & will be planning another shortly, do you feel the yeast you used is a better option ?

This would make a great summer drink but obviously it is not designed to store for too long. It wouldn't anyway 😛 

• Like 1