Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Where did you score the PoR hop plant stock from originally @Greenyinthewestofsydney ?

10 bucks plus postage on eBay mate. After the 1st year in a pot I could have made 10 plants out of that one. It really grows like a weed. 

I have seen them in flower power in sydney as well. POR, Golding and nugget from memory

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're getting a reasonable crop of corn this year. First time I've grown it since I was young. Now doing it with my own kids. It's good.

IMG20211223155703.thumb.jpg.896b400fce9444b8e29fc017697860b6.jpg

With the usual over supply you get when you grow zucchinis I've decided to pickle a couple of kilos. Not quite as good as a traditional pickle but a pretty good substitute. Especially if you've got a thousand zucchinis lying around.IMG-20211222-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.e0abeb22d9ed94512c99f65dd23bf147.jpeg

• Like 7

On 11/20/2021 at 8:52 AM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

10 bucks plus postage on eBay mate. After the 1st year in a pot I could have made 10 plants out of that one. It really grows like a weed. 

I have seen them in flower power in sydney as well. POR, Golding and nugget from memory

Sorry @Greenyinthewestofsydney, I just noticed your reply - thanks for that but we might be moving to FNQ so its off the gardening plans at the moment and they will not grow up there I don't think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Sorry @Greenyinthewestofsydney, I just noticed your reply - thanks for that but we might be moving to FNQ so its off the gardening plans at the moment and they will not grow up there I don't think.

Lucky you mate. FNQ is beautiful but yeah I wouldn't even bother to grow hops there. You need a coldish winter and long summer days which is something that you will not get in FNQ. I'd be putting in some tropical fruit trees instead and growing tomatoes and eggplants all year round 😁

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 2

On 12/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, iBooz2 said:

FNQ so its off the gardening plans at the moment and they will not grow up there I don't think.

Probably could if you lived near Herberton/ Ravenshoe way. There are apple orchards and garlic growing there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Very nice.
Let me know, we'll have a beer.

There is a very small brewery in Mission.

Might just be a slightly bigger one in South Mission once I get set up ha ha.  😁

Yep we will have a beer for sure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What to do with the marrow glut ?  Farmyard hooch !

Marrow,  demijohn, stockings, funnel,  saucepan of raisins, orange,  500g of demerara sugar, raisins and wine yeast

6a00d8341ccbee53ef0133f35ced39970b-500wi

Stuff the marrow, suspend in the stocking and let it drain into the demijohn for a couple of months

6a00d8341ccbee53ef013486811feb970c-500wi

Apply airlock and let it stew for 6 months before bottling.

Supposedly to be absurdly strong.  Full details at 

https://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/2010/08/marrow-rum-farmyard-hooch.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 2