Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

On 1/28/2022 at 8:07 AM, Tone boy said:

Cucumbers are traveling well though. I seem to pick 3-4 every day…looks like I might have to make some pickles….

Magnificent Cueys @Tone boy Toner WOW!  Beeeeeeyoooodiful  🥳

And thanks re the Silverbeet ideas mate... nice work. 

I have done the festive curry-up in the past and that is a great reminder mate thanks ; )

Appreciate the feedback mate 🙂

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2

Sincere apologies for the vegetable produce monotony but thought the photo was worth posting for a chuckle...

Uh oh one got away in the dark green leafy depths (I favour picking reasonably small where possible 🙂)

image.thumb.png.aabde62d7eb2904de7f9c028f4306ad4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Sincere apologies for the vegetable produce monotony but thought the photo was worth posting for a chuckle...

Uh oh one got away in the dark green leafy depths (I favour picking reasonably small where possible 🙂)

Awesome IP don't forget you can batter & deep fry the flower, they are fantastic. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/fried-zucchini-flowers-recipe-1941268

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.aabde62d7eb2904de7f9c028f4306ad4.png

Yes I usually have one or two zukes that get away on me. They’re surprisingly good at hiding sometimes!! 🤣

Didn’t grow any this year though…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Wish I had some cucumbers ☹️

image.thumb.png.c341d28d9371d7596f50bb638dda06c9.png

Guess I just gotta be grateful that I have a few of these fellas... after the earlier snail onslaught pre Christmas at least they came through and are now in full production 👍

Maybe we should do a swap!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

You both have good crops, living in the city prevents me from growing vegetables that require a lot of room so I am pretty much restricted to herbs, chilis etc but that's OK, I do try growing tomatoes & stuff in tubs but it never amounts to much. The other thing is I am surrounded by plenty of places to buy fresh produce daily only a short distance away.

I do enjoy home cooked vege's but for know I will have to drool over yours.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Absolutely @Tone boy Toner... I love this big wide Land but it is one of the drawbacks when everyone is so far away : (

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I do enjoy home cooked vege's but for know I will have to drool over yours.

Have had the feedback before - don't like shop zucchinis but I do like yours - it does make a difference with Zooks for sure - if they are picked in NQ, go to Melbourne and back to Brisbane to the Market - then to shop - then sit for a while and then you buy... not the same.  Plus I do try to pick quite small and I think that they are nicer that way ; )

Thing is @Classic Brewing Co having had me festive Bavarian Grandies living in Enfield years ago (who had very good home veggies and fruit) and then visiting Adelaide from time to time a while ago - with work - there is no doubt that in Adelaide you can get great produce.  The central market is great.  And @Tone boy Toner in Melb the Qn Vic Market does some amazing produce as well ; )

If you have good produce to begin with it is a bit easier to try to make something a bit more tasty.

Cheers and Good Brewing

The Peasant

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Absolutely @Tone boy Toner... I love this big wide Land but it is one of the drawbacks when everyone is so far away : (

Have had the feedback before - don't like shop zucchinis but I do like yours - it does make a difference with Zooks for sure - if they are picked in NQ, go to Melbourne and back to Brisbane to the Market - then to shop - then sit for a while and then you buy... not the same.  Plus I do try to pick quite small and I think that they are nicer that way ; )

Thing is @Classic Brewing Co having had me festive Bavarian Grandies living in Enfield years ago (who had very good home veggies and fruit) and then visiting Adelaide from time to time a while ago - with work - there is no doubt that in Adelaide you can get great produce.  The central market is great.  And @Tone boy Toner in Melb the Qn Vic Market does some amazing produce as well ; )

If you have good produce to begin with it is a bit easier to try to make something a bit more tasty.

Cheers and Good Brewing

The Peasant

Agreed fresh is best in fact a lot of the Fruit & Veg shops buy from selected local growers unlike the Supermarkets who buy from anyone with the best price - they are never fresh. 😬

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Plus I do try to pick quite small and I think that they are nicer that way

Yep zukes and cucumbers both better/sweeter picked small. 

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

the Supermarkets

Seem to like wrapping their fruit and veg in plastic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

Yep zukes and cucumbers both better/sweeter picked small. 

Seem to like wrapping their fruit and veg in plastic 

Yes mate the so-called fresh veg is older than you when you buy it, as it has been been in storage for ages. When it hits the shelves & display cabinets it looks OK but if you don't use it up pronto it goes off, absolute garbage, there may be the odd exception but I would rather go to an independent greengrocer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Healthy looking plants Muzzy. No Chillis ?

No chillies. I pinch them from my neighbour whenever I need them. I've got basil, coriander, parsley and rosemary as my herbs/condiments crops. 
Thanks for noticing their health. I think it's due to being able to spend some time in the garden now I only work part time. I've kept weeds out and quite a few pests by putting netting over the beds. I reckon that's prevented white moths from getting in. I'll need to look into earwig prevention. Last time I did silverbeet they ate quite a bit.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

No chillies. I pinch them from my neighbour whenever I need them. I've got basil, coriander, parsley and rosemary as my herbs/condiments crops. 

Fair enough I also have Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Parsley etc & here's a few Chillis.

It's hardly worth growing things like tomato, cucumber etc as I am surrounded by fresh fruit & veg outlets in the area.

20220220_105457.jpg

20220220_105540.jpg

20220220_105613.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It's hardly worth growing things like tomato, cucumber etc as I am surrounded by fresh fruit & veg outlets in the area.

Yep, I agree and I'm also blessed with great fresh produce in my area. Tony & Mark's is just down the road. Best in the business in my opinion.
I try to grow things that I don't like buying ie. I go buy a lettuce for $4 and use a couple of leaves and often the rest ends up going in the bin. By growing lettuce I can pluck the leaves as I need them. Same with silverbeet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Yep, I agree and I'm also blessed with great fresh produce in my area. Tony & Mark's is just down the road. Best in the business in my opinion.
I try to grow things that I don't like buying ie. I go buy a lettuce for $4 and use a couple of leaves and often the rest ends up going in the bin. By growing lettuce I can pluck the leaves as I need them. Same with silverbeet.

Agreed only way to go, you have probably heard of Caruso's, Adelaide Fresh Fruiterers & Bayside Fruit & More, all on Jetty Road less than a kilometer away, not to mention Aldi, Woolworths, Coles within the same distance. The first two mentioned have heaps of other gourmet & continental deli lines & more. We are totally spoilt for fresh produce choices as well as Gourmet Butchers, Fish & Seafood markets, Bakers, the list goes on. 

• Like 3