Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

As you know Muzz its been very damp and gloomy for months in the southern states.  Probably too much water and not enough sun / warmth.  Don't give up on it, just don't water until it gets hotter as they like to dry out a bit between drinks (not like me).  Wait until next autumn before you think it is stuffed and by then you should see a big difference in it.  They like to be fed during the growing season only, so once you see some new green leaves happening in say October - November give it a feed of fertilizer that has trace elements.  Citrus fertilizer is best when they are young trees.  You probably need to break the chook poo down a far bit (soak in a big tub or bucket of water for weeks) before tossing it around and do this well away from the trunk to make those roots reach out.

Thanks AL, and by the way is it AL as in A.L. or should it be Al as in short for Albert? Typing two capital letters is killing me. 😄 
I'll definitely persevere with it but I'm disappointed in it's development so far.
The chook poo fertiliser I used was already processed - Neutrog Rooster Booster. I'm glad you piped up because I was thinking of giving it some more but I'll hold off until late spring now. The tip about spreading the roots is good too. You're a champion. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks AL, and by the way is it AL as in A.L. or should it be Al as in short for Albert? Typing two capital letters is killing me. 😄 

Al, Al, al, as in Alicat, it does not matter.  All good Muzz. 👍

By the time you get used to typing AL in Braille when you respond to my future posts, your lemon tree will be a monster ha ha.😃

AL in Braille.PNG

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Don't give up on it,

Agree @MUZZY - don't give up on it just yet... but would not water unless drought set in... it does rain down there... and it is Winter in SA?  so just leave it be for a bit... they don't like wet feet... most of us don't...  might come good yet worth leavin' it in there mate to maybe see🤔

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Agree @MUZZY - don't give up on it just yet... but would not water unless drought set in... it does rain down there... and it is Winter in SA?  so just leave it be for a bit... they don't like wet feet... most of us don't...  might come good yet worth leavin' it in there mate to maybe see🤔

I had no intention of ripping it out. It cost me $10. LOL
We've actually had consistent rain here the past few months so the soil is moister than what we're accustomed to here. However I did plant it in a raised position of the garden bed to hopefully get a drainage effect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a good lot out of my first winter crops.

(Tried to post before but it wouldn't)

Got cauliflower, heaps and rocket, parsley, a full crop of beetroot, spring onions galore.

And that's my young bloke, now 13mths old. 

Sand pit I built for him! Pretty happy with myself on that one.

PXL_20210821_064220681.jpg

PXL_20210817_071635217.jpg

PXL_20210821_032206034.jpg

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, RepSpec said:

Got a good lot out of my first winter crops.

(Tried to post before but it wouldn't)

Got cauliflower, heaps and rocket, parsley, a full crop of beetroot, spring onions galore.

And that's my young bloke, now 13mths old. 

Sand pit I built for him! Pretty happy with myself on that one.

Great stuff @RepSpec always rewarding to be able to grow your own veg, looks healthy too. I don't have the room apart from pots but I still have lots of herbs & a large Rosemary bush in the planted, fenced area. The price you pay for living in apartments in the city/suburbs. I still have Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Chilli's so it's not all bad. The other thing is I am spoilt by choice from Supermarkets to Shopping Centres, Fruit & Veg shops etc all being so close.

Cheers.

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Great, getting ready for Summer, as I have said before I can only do pots but I do miss working the ground & growing your own.

This little setup is self watering. Underneath the soil is cane sugar mulch which sits on a pallet. Under the pallet is a space to hold water. So you just need to make sure the water is topped up through a filler and the cane sugar draws it up like a candle wick, and keeps the soil moist.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

This little setup is self watering. Underneath the soil is cane sugar mulch which sits on a pallet. Under the pallet is a space to hold water. So you just need to make sure the water is topped up through a filler and the cane sugar draws it up like a candle wick, and keeps the soil moist.

Awesome !! Well done. Take the rest of the day off. 🪑

• Haha 2

On 9/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, PintsAtMeLocal said:

20210909_132708.thumb.jpg.6f81ec2f97226e4d7960c6f17b152315.jpg

Is that a bonsai version there PAML?

When I used to grow this stuff it was so high (over 2 metres) it used to stick its heads over my boundary fence.  Luckily my elderly neighbors thought it was just a new variety of exotic bamboo so all was good. ha ha🤩

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Is that a bonsai version there PAML?

When I used to grow this stuff it was so high (over 2 metres) it used to stick its heads over my boundary fence.  Luckily my elderly neighbors thought it was just a new variety of exotic bamboo so all was good. ha ha🤩

Hey brother I think the winter weather didn't help the growth. Also I like to keep em in small pots to limit the size. But it is legal here in Sout Africa 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Festival of big chives... I cut the tops off - see below - and replanted the bottoms in another spot ; )

They have a really nice flavour... got off a mate's mum... and they love the cool and moist weather ; )

image.thumb.png.b3cdc0673f7cabe00746087b5dbd8af6.png

Nice mate. Love chives. Have a vertical herb garden which is about 6 year old and it's the only original herb left. Split it up every couple of years and she just keeps going.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Have a vertical herb garden which is about 6 year old and it's the only original herb left. Split it up every couple of years and she just keeps going.

Nice work @Greeny1525229549 Greeny!

Maybe I should do that too - or can rabbits climb? 😜

Fortunately they do not seem to want to eat the oniony things... but they destroy the beds which is no good...

This is all inside a fenced area mind you : (

I need festive @Classic Brewing Co Phil to come up and take a few home for the Pot ; )

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Nice work @Greeny1525229549 Greeny!

Maybe I should do that too - or can rabbits climb? 😜

Fortunately they do not seem to want to eat the oniony things... but they destroy the beds which is no good...

This is all inside a fenced area mind you : (

I need festive @Classic Brewing Co Phil to come up and take a few home for the Pot ; )

No worries Graubster my mate & I will need to book 2 rooms @ the Ponderosa & we will bring the arsenal & shoot a few, hope you have plenty of beer !! 🤣

image-1.gif

• Haha 1