Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

@MUZZY 
I haven't had any end rot since I started crushing my egg shells and tossing them around the garden. Egg shells are 94% calcium carbonate.  The finer you can crush them the better so a coffee grinder or blender is a good option although I mainly just use a pestle in an ice cream container. 

Thanks, Jim. Nice to hear from you again too. Cheers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2022 at 9:43 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Traded some Zooks for some White Peaches with a mate whose tree is going well this year... my Zooks a bit bigger size pick this time as has been raining and wet and been slack and not gone out to harvest them small but friends were happy with the size so that was good and the fact that they had been picked an hour earlier before arriving in their kitch : )

image.thumb.png.34bf671642716e42bd1d452b0909b505.png

@Itinerant Peasant, I see you are a very good gardener, including growing zucchinis. I thought you might get a chuckle out of this cartoon. 

my hobbies.jpg

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Beautiful - Chillies, tomatoes, basil, mint and more; and it all looks so healthy! The one thing I don't like is rosemary - ugh - the taste and smell.

Good point Jenny, but rosemary does go well with lamb, as well as sautéed spuds. My wife swears by sage tea as well - keeps her looking spruce (maybe I should try some) 

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Good point Jenny, but rosemary does go well with lamb, as well as sautéed spuds. My wife swears by sage tea as well - keeps her looking spruce (maybe I should try some) 

😉

I use Rosemary in heaps of dishes not just lamb, have you tried selecting some stronger stems to use as BBQ skewers, you get to use the Rosemary as well, even in a grill dish/pan - flavour goes right through the meat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm growing older and sometimes crankier.

Context: spoke to my direct boss today. He told me my decision was not correct.
I told him I didn't care, but I was just telling hime because that is the reporting structure. He wasn't happy.

Has a very punchable face.

Edited by interceptor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, interceptor said:

I'm growing older and sometimes crankier.

Context: spoke to my direct boss today. He told me my decision was not correct.
I told him I didn't care, but I was just telling hime because that is the reporting structure. He wasn't happy.

Has a very punchable face.

Sounds like a tough day at the office.

• Haha 2

Just now, kmar92 said:

Sounds like a tough day at the office.

Umm, it was interesting. Sorry for the offtopic.

We have some malabar spinach growing I'll have to get a picture of. 

Heaps of oranges and mandarins atm

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I guess this sorta fits in this thread, my neighbour just gave me a heap of pavers he didn't want, bit of a saving as I was about visit Bunnings to price pavers/loam etc. The lawn out the back was in a shocking state when I moved here so rather than try to save it I will pave & landscape it - I hate lawn, well looking after it anyway.

Not being much of a tradie I will just do a bit of measuring & start digging/levelling etc for the summer.

It will surely beat tripping over rubber matting & vacuuming so often.

20220911_125539.thumb.jpg.032425e9b05268efe43483f7c334229a.jpg20220911_125616.thumb.jpg.481ebd0ce03e58c8f9cdee82f6ab22be.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Yummy! Time for a salad.

I mainly grow herbs & I have a large established Rosemary bush. These are outside the back door & at this time of the year they get a decent dose of sun.

I also have Chilli, Silver Beet, Dill, Radish, Coriander etc to plant along the back fence.

The Chilli plant is from last year, I just pruned it & it's away again. It's great to have fresh herbs.

20221124_073603.jpg

20221124_073724.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4

Garden1.thumb.JPG.4e019e81b46eed9ec955ff7c76c9265c.JPG

Reapers.JPG.edd86c7db37cb4cb0f57f255a2be1542.JPG

Basil, parsley, garlic, birds eye chilli, passionfruit, and bottom one are Carolina Reaper Chillies. Also have tomatoes, warrigal greens, more garlic and spring onions in another garden.  But there is a possum who keeps eating the stuff, he especially likes the parsley.

Edited by Cheap Charlie
  • Like 3

On 4/5/2022 at 7:11 PM, Thirsty Jim said:

I haven't had any end rot since I started crushing my egg shells and tossing them around the garden.

@Thirsty Jim , @Classic Brewing Co, @Pezzza and other gardeners, We have just pulled up the silver beet which did well for months, but has now gone to head no matter how much I tried to cut it back. We thought about putting tomatoes in, but have often had a problem with blossom end rot. I thought I remembered reading something in this thread, and now I've found all the good tips. I'm saving eggshells to crush, and we'll be careful about watering.🍅

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Thirsty Jim , @Classic Brewing Co, @Pezzza and other gardeners, We have just pulled up the silver beet which did well for months, but has now gone to head no matter how much I tried to cut it back. We thought about putting tomatoes in, but have often had a problem with blossom end rot. I thought I remembered reading something in this thread, and now I've found all the good tips. I'm saving eggshells to crush, and we'll be careful about watering.🍅

You have heaps more land than I do @jennyss for that reason I only grow herbs but if I could, I would have a big veg garden.

The other thing is I am surrounded by Fresh Fruit & Veg stores, Supermarkets etc & given the price & choice available it isn't worth it for me.

Happy Gardening.

• Like 3

Hi @Brauhaus Fritzand @Pezzza, I thought I better post on a more appropriate thread! I thought that background plant in the photo in 'What are you drinking?' might have been a choko. I am growing one for the first time. A neighbour gave a sprouting choko to me. It is planted facing north, and next to a chain fence; so lots of room to climb. The first tendrils are getting ready to wind on to the fence. I am thinking steamed chokos and curried choko pickle. The pot it is planted in has the bottom cut out. I'm hoping this trick will keep the kikuyu grass out.

Choko vine.jpg

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Hi @Brauhaus Fritzand @Pezzza, I thought I better post on a more appropriate thread! I thought that background plant in the photo in 'What are you drinking?' might have been a choko. I am growing one for the first time. A neighbour gave a sprouting choko to me. It is planted facing north, and next to a chain fence; so lots of room to climb. The first tendrils are getting ready to wind on to the fence. I am thinking steamed chokos and curried choko pickle. The pot it is planted in has the bottom cut out. I'm hoping this trick will keep the kikuyu grass out.

Choko vine.jpg

Looks great @jennyss I used to grow Choko's & I used to steam them & just eat with butter & pepper & salt but as you know they are much more versatile. I did make similar to this Coko Pickle a couple of times & it was nice.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/choko-pickle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

I thought I better post on a more appropriate thread! I

Haha JSS @jennyss nice work : )

BUUUT... haha...

Yeah I have grown choko plenty years ago - and now - thankfully no more.... am pretty choko'd out 😆

I suspect our Chef @Classic Brewing Co or yourself could magic something out of a choko -- but honestly -- am over 'em...

I support gardening wholeheartedly and growing own veg is pure gold and I wish you all the best with that... and enjoy ; )

I guess my advice is - pick small - eat fresh and young/small - that way they will at least be marginally better ; )

There are plenty other veggies for me 🥳

Good luck with the garden production!

• Haha 1